St Roch"s 2018/19

21stcenturyboy

Looking forward to my first visit to the JMP today. Even better knowing that having secured our Championship place for next season that there will be a quick return for a second visit.[emoji4]
Be glad to welcome you. Hope your first visit is enjoyable as it can be and yous dont leave with points Haha.

Be glad to welcome you. Hope your first visit is enjoyable as it can be and yous dont leave with points Haha.
A high scoring draw to see us into the close season might suffice. [emoji6]

If you don’t get the wonder and magnificence of football then stop reading now. In the space of a week I have travelled to different counties and watched the highest of the high leagues, took in TV treats on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, footballed right through to the dizzy depths of Parklife amateur games and yesterday I find myself again at St’s Roch’s... The Candy discriminates against nobody and makes no judgements. It is what it is and what it is is more than many. Love the Candy, love football, love your opponents, love your family, love life... love yourself.

A sunshine atmosphere and a big Candy Queue at the Merchandise stall... all profits pumped back into the club to do with what they will... we all know not a penny is wasted. Get some Easter eggs or Christmas gifts for the kids, have an open door policy with a meal for the homeless or the local pensioners, make the homework club work, do what you want with it, your fans support you and everything you do and stand for. I go into the club house with my old man. His first Candy coffee hit of the day washes down a pie and I do my usual pre match ritual of walking around shaking hands and Chewing the Candy Cud. I meet a guy on his first visit and I tell him a bit about what the club have been doing and our off field activities. I think he is going to write it up somewhere. I see him again at half time and tell him we don’t often play like that. A Candy Charge Crushes the Vics and we go 3-0 up within 15 minutes with some of the best play I have seen from us this season. Vics were ripped to bits and in truth it could have been 6 or 7 during that phase as quick inter-passing and simple football bore what simple football often does and brings, goals and a welcome pleasure to the eyes. A quick word for a couple of Vickites... their big goalie saved them from a right doing and was more than decent, their wee young number 11 was an oasis of ability in their dry dessert of a midfield first half and he did really well in the second having been put in at left back to shore up the shakiest of defences. Their manager/coach gets some good comments too and as they were ripped apart and ramshackle in the first half but he restructured them into a strict back 4 at half time who kept their shape and turned in a choc and cheese second half. It just goes to show that you don’t need to be a champions league manager to turn things round. Well done Vics, you started like shite and ended up aw rite. We run out 4-1 winners and it is sun kissed smiles as we head off with “see yay aw later the nite” in the air, the player of the year awards are a 7pm kick off.

I drop the old man off for a couple of hours and as the carriage arrives with me, my missus, my brother and his wife to collect him again at 655, he descends spruced up and excited about escaping Cell Block Old Age again for the second time that day. We arrive at the venue and Jack and Victor’s comedy all day pish up is just coming to an end and some old characters are not just tripping the light fantastic but just tripping. 2 glamorous old gals offer us the spare table beside them and we sit down. Comedy gold from Fran and Anna as they start to tell us about the holy communion they have just attended and which was fizzling out, only these star crossed eyed lovers left. “Six hunner quid she shelled out for awe the drink and the buffet and the decorations” “was it worth it?” My young brother enquired amicably, “Wiz it fk” she retorted. As a wordsmith myself I was loving the curt precision of her fiscal assessment. Why over elaborate when the rule of three dictates “wiz it fk”. They leave and are replaced by a fellow Candy fan and his missus and we chat and laugh and hear the gaffer talk and the 4 awards are shared out between Paul Tierney, Rab Maguire and Keiran Martin. I haven’t seen enough of the Candy this season but the awards seem well deserved to me. I speak to the gaffer and a few of the players but as the music gets turned up, we call a cab and end the night at the Karaoke in the boozer next to my dad’s, the DJ and host an old school mate I haven’t seen for years. We chat fondly and reminisce.... this hugely enjoyable day is drawing to a drunken but delightful end......

Football for me is not about the 11 people on the pitch. It really isn’t. I understand how some people invest their all into the game and the result can make or break your mood. There are still games that get me like that but they are rare. I love rivalry and the joust with an opponent be it the team or their fans at the game or on line. For me it is something more and I feel the more enriched for it. Yesterday the Candy was the thread that weaved through my day and tied me up close and tight to those I know, those I had just met, those I like talking with and listening to and those I love. It is a very welcomed and special kind of football thread that can do that to me.....

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517]IMG_5091.thumb.jpg.472335b6290614a4221d292347228026.jpgIMG_5095.thumb.jpg.b9c5740a7a7d91a6aa6d5ec3ff871d8c.jpgIMG_5097.thumb.jpg.5f0cda94673d8b7873c9265390b78092.jpgIMG_5101.thumb.jpg.0f255e04bdd818c3438bd910eeebefa9.jpgIMG_5103.thumb.jpg.ecdacd20e16d38fc63f901c56baeca1f.jpg[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

If you don’t get the wonder and magnificence of football then stop reading now. In the space of a week I have travelled to different counties and watched the highest of the high leagues, took in TV treats on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, footballed right through to the dizzy depths of Parklife amateur games and yesterday I find myself again at St’s Roch’s... The Candy discriminates against nobody and makes no judgements. It is what it is and what it is is more than many. Love the Candy, love football, love your opponents, love your family, love life... love yourself.

A sunshine atmosphere and a big Candy Queue at the Merchandise stall... all profits pumped back into the club to do with what they will... we all know not a penny is wasted. Get some Easter eggs or Christmas gifts for the kids, have an open door policy with a meal for the homeless or the local pensioners, make the homework club work, do what you want with it, your fans support you and everything you do and stand for. I go into the club house with my old man. His first Candy coffee hit of the day washes down a pie and I do my usual pre match ritual of walking around shaking hands and Chewing the Candy Cud. I meet a guy on his first visit and I tell him a bit about what the club have been doing and our off field activities. I think he is going to write it up somewhere. I see him again at half time and tell him we don’t often play like that. A Candy Charge Crushes the Vics and we go 3-0 up within 15 minutes with some of the best play I have seen from us this season. Vics were ripped to bits and in truth it could have been 6 or 7 during that phase as quick inter-passing and simple football bore what simple football often does and brings, goals and a welcome pleasure to the eyes. A quick word for a couple of Vickites... their big goalie saved them from a right doing and was more than decent, their wee young number 11 was an oasis of ability in their dry dessert of a midfield first half and he did really well in the second having been put in at left back to shore up the shakiest of defences. Their manager/coach gets some good comments too and as they were ripped apart and ramshackle in the first half but he restructured them into a strict back 4 at half time who kept their shape and turned in a choc and cheese second half. It just goes to show that you don’t need to be a champions league manager to turn things round. Well done Vics, you started like shite and ended up aw rite. We run out 4-1 winners and it is sun kissed smiles as we head off with “see yay aw later the nite” in the air, the player of the year awards are a 7pm kick off.

I drop the old man off for a couple of hours and as the carriage arrives with me, my missus, my brother and his wife to collect him again at 655, he descends spruced up and excited about escaping Cell Block Old Age again for the second time that day. We arrive at the venue and Jack and Victor’s comedy all day pish up is just coming to an end and some old characters are not just tripping the light fantastic but just tripping. 2 glamorous old gals offer us the spare table beside them and we sit down. Comedy gold from Fran and Anna as they start to tell us about the holy communion they have just attended and which was fizzling out, only these star crossed eyed lovers left. “Six hunner quid she shelled out for awe the drink and the buffet and the decorations” “was it worth it?” My young brother enquired amicably, “Wiz it fk” she retorted. As a wordsmith myself I was loving the curt precision of her fiscal assessment. Why over elaborate when the rule of three dictates “wiz it fk”. They leave and are replaced by a fellow Candy fan and his missus and we chat and laugh and hear the gaffer talk and the 4 awards are shared out between Paul Tierney, Rab Maguire and Keiran Martin. I haven’t seen enough of the Candy this season but the awards seem well deserved to me. I speak to the gaffer and a few of the players but as the music gets turned up, we call a cab and end the night at the Karaoke in the boozer next to my dad’s, the DJ and host an old school mate I haven’t seen for years. We chat fondly and reminisce.... this hugely enjoyable day is drawing to a drunken but delightful end......

Football for me in not about the 11 people on the pitch. It really isn’t. I understand how some people invest their all into the game and the result can make or break your mood. There are still games that get me like that but they are rare. I love rivalry and the joust with an opponent be it the team or their fans at the game or on line. For me it is something more and I feel the more enriched for it. Yesterday the Candy was the thread that weaved through my day and tied me up close and tight to those I know, those I had just met, those I like talking with and listening to and those I love. It is a very welcomed and special kind of football thread that can do that to me.....

Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517]IMG_5091.thumb.jpg.472335b6290614a4221d292347228026.jpgIMG_5095.thumb.jpg.b9c5740a7a7d91a6aa6d5ec3ff871d8c.jpgIMG_5097.thumb.jpg.5f0cda94673d8b7873c9265390b78092.jpgIMG_5101.thumb.jpg.0f255e04bdd818c3438bd910eeebefa9.jpgIMG_5103.thumb.jpg.ecdacd20e16d38fc63f901c56baeca1f.jpg[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Great read and fair assessment of the game. Let's just say some of Vics boys had started the close season a week early 🤣🤣.
A very uncharacteristic start to the game in comparison to recent months.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it is a mark of where we are that you can go away to Larkhall with a weakened team and come away with a 2-0 win and be underehelmed.

We looked in control in the first half but they were better second half, ironically losing 2 goals during that time. The goals were well taken by Ryan, a young player with a lot of potential who could be so much more with a few tweaks...

A good away crowd again and a tense atmosphere at times, especially after the game when a group of young team stood at the end of the road and threw stones at the bus... as we pulled away a larger group of “more capable looking” thugs approached the bus gesticulating and more missiles were thrown... aye.. well done Police Scotland...a red light in the town centre and more young team and a few more stones. I mean, I know it was just idiots but I don’t like it.... the undertones of football in the West has shocked me since I moved back about 3 years ago.... I never fully realised that there is still so much animosity, bigotry and intolerance from both sides. It really is Scotland’s shame and none of it is in my name..... wouldn’t it be great if everyone was harmonious? You can say I’m a dreamer... surely I’m not the only one?

The end of another season when I doubt if I have seen 10 Candy games so I’m not in a position to comment too much... except... Congratulations to the players and staff for their efforts and achievements. The report card reads “could do better” but when you realise that Raheem Sterling’s is obviously the same judging by his post cup final coaching then you realise we can all improve and so we should.

No big written piece today but sometimes things excite me and last night didn’t... that’s ok... because if you take anything from football then it should be the preparation to feel flat at times. Maybe it’s the end of the season blues... or greens.... or maybe some neutral colour...

The Candy are 100 years old next season... happy birthday to the old lady of the Garngad..... despite everything and maybe because of everything, I think I’ll always love you.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji106]

IMG_5210.thumb.jpg.0281fb2ae8d5c44e1c556072fb4ee642.jpgIMG_5198.thumb.jpg.2967cf0309451cec22a0be52eb7f8b93.jpgI

Larkhall away was never gonna be a tea and biscuits kinda day out in fact no tea at all which was fine as it was a bit hot for a warm drink .

As I look back over the season it's been from a fans prospective or just mine a smashing season visiting some wierd and wonderful places indeed the season started in the tranquillity of lochee and ended in the volatile and hostile Larkhall so throughout the season I got the full monty of the microcosms of our cities and towns wonderful , dreadful and indifferent.

Arthurlie,Darvel, Girvan,Kello, Kilsyth,Lochee and Irvine were smashing away days and I certainly will miss Girvan and Kello next season.

Performance wise in truth I thought we were the same as our journeys wonderful , dreadful and indifferent but all that said it's gonna be a long 65 days without my candy fix and I will be there home and away every week as soon as it all kicks off again

On 23/05/2019 at 15:09, Kinky Afro said:

I suppose it is a mark of where we are that you can go away to Larkhall with a weakened team and come away with a 2-0 win and be underehelmed.

We looked in control in the first half but they were better second half, ironically losing 2 goals during that time. The goals were well taken by Ryan, a young player with a lot of potential who could be so much more with a few tweaks...

A good away crowd again and a tense atmosphere at times, especially after the game when a group of young team stood at the end of the road and threw stones at the bus... as we pulled away a larger group of “more capable looking” thugs approached the bus gesticulating and more missiles were thrown... aye.. well done Police Scotland...a red light in the town centre and more young team and a few more stones. I mean, I know it was just idiots but I don’t like it.... the undertones of football in the West has shocked me since I moved back about 3 years ago.... I never fully realised that there is still so much animosity, bigotry and intolerance from both sides. It really is Scotland’s shame and none of it is in my name..... wouldn’t it be great if everyone was harmonious? You can say I’m a dreamer... surely I’m not the only one?

The end of another season when I doubt if I have seen 10 Candy games so I’m not in a position to comment too much... except... Congratulations to the players and staff for their efforts and achievements. The report card reads “could do better” but when you realise that Raheem Sterling’s is obviously the same judging by his post cup final coaching then you realise we can all improve and so we should.

No big written piece today but sometimes things excite me and last night didn’t... that’s ok... because if you take anything from football then it should be the preparation to feel flat at times. Maybe it’s the end of the season blues... or greens.... or maybe some neutral colour...

The Candy are 100 years old next season... happy birthday to the old lady of the Garngad..... despite everything and maybe because of everything, I think I’ll always love you.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! emoji517.pngemoji460.pngemoji106.png

IMG_5210.thumb.jpg.0281fb2ae8d5c44e1c556072fb4ee642.jpgIMG_5198.thumb.jpg.2967cf0309451cec22a0be52eb7f8b93.jpgI

I was disgusted to hear of this, both sides have these hangers on who only come out for one thing but the real fans know that these louts are nothing to do with the club. It is a social problem rather than a football one and Larkhall suffers from it more than most places.

I don't speak on behalf of the club but can say that the vast majority of the people of Larkhall are decent and would be appalled by these acts.