St Roch"s 2018/19

21stcenturyboy

Another stoater report fae Kinky, how football can take you so high (being 2 nil up) then in the space of 20mins or so deflates you like a Saturday coupon, its those feelings that keep us coming back for more, rain, hail or shine.But keeping tabs on St Roch the past couple of seasons its clear theres something emerging from this football club.Attracting fans in that number, as shown on Kinkys pictures means the club are doing things right on and off the pitch, however Largs are a strong team, Talbot had a difficult game there and could be dark horses to win the cup outright.I hope to see you consolidate your league position, string a few more wins together, see where that takes you,although i was hopeful for a Talbot v St Rochs junior cup final, how good does that sound, maybe next year

15 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

We had been told the largs euromillions winner had paid for the new ground at largs and thats why the song came about.
Good banter tho emoji106.png

Somebody must have told the Scottish media the same story because it takes about 30 seconds to press in Largs Euromillions winners and plastic pitch/ training facilities  for locals and out pops the info.

18 hours ago, holsten said:

Just watched the highlights there and sending off looked harsh......just a pity you ran out of legs last 20 mins 

Bar the Talbot game I reckon that was the biggest crowd in junior game last week .....hats off to the candy 

Seen the highlights back never a red imo. Shame for the candy as I think they would have won the game 11 v 11 but no suprise the game ruined by officials yet again. Largs a good team but would fancy most teams left to beat them.

• 4 weeks later...

The page has been depressingly quite this season in the absence of my big pal kinky and his fabulous writing.

Next Saturday weather permitting we face cambuslang rangers in the cup .

Im expecting a tough game which could go either way and only a fool would write them off.

I would like to congratulate cambuslang for battling through everything they have endured in recent months and i hope there fans turn up in good numbers on Saturday to back there team .

The page has been depressingly quite this season in the absence of my big pal kinky and his fabulous writing.

Im expecting a tough game which could go either way and only a fool would write them off.
I would like to congratulate cambuslang for battling through everything they have endured in recent months and i hope there fans turn up in good numbers on Saturday to back there team .

Looking at the forecast it looks highly unlikely but the weatherman can and has been wrong.

3 hours ago, Rochstar1920 said:
5 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Looking at the forecast it looks highly unlikely but the weatherman can and has been wrong.

Would really fancy you to win. We played them the round before, and although there was a bit of turmoil, they still had all their top players, and they should never have won. 

7 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

The draw for the quarter finals of the West of Scotland Cup will take place at James McGrory Park this Saturday

Nice to see the club getting a little recognison from the powers that be .
Well done to everyone at the club

Cracking wee set up.  

As Scottish football fell at the feet of Borat and his Kazzikstannies, we leave the Far East 6 hours time difference away and all roads lead to the West of Scotland Cup at James McGrory Park, at least the winners of this game will be West of Scottish.. I feel fortunate again to be in amongst it and as the turnstiles twirl to the sound of hunners and hunners, I speak with the unual riders and runners, I meet with my former gaffer The Doc in the lounge and speak to the gaffer and his assistant, former team mates and visiting committee men. The consensus is the usual mantra of the junior follower (which could easily be attributed to our senior national team)...”it all depends on if we turn up. We can be good or we can be shocking”. Football is ubiquitous in its analogies and transcends junior to senior and the Astana Arena to JMcGP. If you ain’t at it you won’t get nothing.... we weren’t for the most part and we got nowt... well, result wise...

We have got to the stage where a St Roch’s match is much much more than just a game of football. It is community and belonging and a focus through the hardships of life and the cold winds and rain of everyday monotony. A ground full of laughs and stories and handshakes and “have you seen.. xyz” enquiries of people meeting their mates, old guys part of something, perhaps for the only time that week. This is the biggest social gathering in the community and as such it is becoming a vital part of The Calendar. Get the Candy pencilled in for a visit soon and see what it is about?

It’s just as well it’s about more than the football because for 70 minutes I though we were poor... 2 down and less than a quarter of the game to go before we started to gain any territory and create anything. Logie’s goal made him joint second all time scorer but it might have been our first real shot on target of the game. A frustrating first half where Camby, by their committee man’s own admission, a hobbled and cobbled ragamuffin band of low level juniors and amateur players actually played some nice football and controlled possession for long periods of the game. Their number 8 was very comfortable on the ball and looked good, the wee number 9 took up good positions and held the ball well and the tall number 4 (I thought he was excellent) just headed and cleared his lines and matched runs and defended well, providing an excellent balance to the big strong number 5.. a man who when he leaves will not just leave big boots to fill but extra big seam straining shorts and a stretched top... they were a decent side and if you are not at it 100% against teams like this then you are going to struggle. We weren’t making many inroads and when we got our usual red card after 30 mins it only made our task all the harder. Camby could have nicked one but for a Starkie wonder save but as I went In to make sure my auld man was negotiating the pre half time pie rush, Camby score right on half time. 10 men and one down at half time we trudge in and a few disgruntled shouts at the ref ring out. Most of my first half shouts of good defending or good tackle or good header weren’t for our players. They controlled 2nd half and when they scored their 2nd when a wee guy found space between 2 big defenders and slotted him it was a case of 2,2,2....... 2 down, 2 easy a finish and 2 many of us off the pace. We did pick up a bit as a combination of Camby sitting back and the Candy pushing on meant we had a couple of chances, 2 of which were saved well by the returning Ginger keeper. You could argue that we could have got a draw but over the piece I don’t think you could argue with the result. Good luck to Camby in the next round. Talking of which the draw took place in the clubhouse after the game and was screened live on the Candy Facebook page. I spoke to the match secretary before the game and his ideas seemed refreshing to me. Anything that anyone can do to increase the profile of junior football has to be given a chance.

Another bumper crowd yesterday made up of hundreds of Candy fans and a sizeable and welcomed Camby fan base and a specially run mini bus 12 strong and full from the yellow jacket ted Police Scotland ground hoppers and testimony to the club and all the behind the scenes officials and the fans who have transformed this club over the last few years. I read during the week that the ambition of the club is to continue to grow and become one of the “big” junior clubs in Glasgow. Judging on yesterday, we may not be on our way to lift the cup but I would suggest they are certainly on their to growing and competing with the big boys. I am sure the Camby fans would have enjoyed their day putting one over on us and being part of a big match, well attended and ultimately emerging victorious. I remember how we felt when we beat them 0-1 away in the league, there is nothing like a win in a big game away at your rivals. I am sure, for the Candy, there are many more of those days ahead. Even though it was Camby’s day yesterday, I got my usual sensory nutrition and another day sharing something with my old man. I saw everyone else sharing something too. It is the thing that unites and binds and fills your soul, even if some don’t realise it... and that makes everything, even a cup elimination, take its place in priorities. Scotland take on the lowest ranked country in world football later today. Even for those lowly San Marinians the only way is up. A dose of football reality for all concerned yesterday and a wake up call if you have the ears to listen. I always take something from my football and I left with my auld man and trudged back to the car with a lot to think about and somewhat happier despite the result. Who would ever have though a wee piece of Candy on a Saturday afternoon could give me so much?

Mon the Candy!

MTC [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_4346.thumb.jpg.40fd560868ea61bf3a87495c64df5fd1.jpgIMG_4335.thumb.jpg.c2a11659a113adfcb809816fa76198f1.jpgIMG_4333.thumb.jpg.ed73c4f7372040ee7ccf45bb9b48087d.jpgIMG_4329.thumb.jpg.95a10623d005cdd63577c2e3153a3c1c.jpgIMG_4340.thumb.jpg.c8f61afb503db6fe87cacde751b50dd0.jpg

As Scottish football fell at the feet of Borat and his Kazzikstannies, we leave the Far East 6 hours time difference away and all roads lead to the West of Scotland Cup at James McGrory Park, at least the winners of this game will be West of Scottish.. I feel fortunate again to be in amongst it and as the turnstiles twirl to the sound of hunners and hunners, I speak with the unual riders and runners, I meet with my former gaffer The Doc in the lounge and speak to the gaffer and his assistant, former team mates and visiting committee men. The consensus is the usual mantra of the junior follower (which could easily be attributed to our senior national team)...”it all depends on if we turn up. We can be good or we can be shocking”. Football is ubiquitous in its analogies and transcends junior to senior and the Astana Arena to JMcGP. If you ain’t at it you won’t get nothing.... we weren’t for the most part and we got nowt... well, result wise...

We have got to the stage where a St Roch’s match is much much more than just a game of football. It is community and belonging and a focus through the hardships of life and the cold winds and rain of everyday monotony. A ground full of laughs and stories and handshakes and “have you seen.. xyz” enquiries of people meeting their mates, old guys part of something, perhaps for the only time that week. This is the biggest social gathering in the community and as such it is becoming a vital part of The Calendar. Get the Candy pencilled in for a visit soon and see what it is about?

It’s just as well it’s about more than the football because for 70 minutes I though we were poor... 2 down and less than a quarter of the game to go before we started to gain any territory and create anything. Logie’s goal made him joint second all time scorer but it might have been our first real shot on target of the game. A frustrating first half where Camby, by their committee man’s own admission, a hobbled and cobbled ragamuffin band of low level juniors and amateur players actually played some nice football and controlled possession for long periods of the game. Their number 8 was very comfortable on the ball and looked good, the wee number 9 took up good positions and held the ball well and the tall number 4 (I thought he was excellent) just headed and cleared his lines and matched runs and defended well, providing an excellent balance to the big strong number 5.. a man who when he leaves will not just leave big boots to fill but extra big seam straining shorts and a stretched top... they were a decent side and if you are not at it 100% against teams like this then you are going to struggle. We weren’t making many inroads and when we got our usual red card after 30 mins it only made our task all the harder. Camby could have nicked one but for a Starkie wonder save but as I went I. To make sure my auld man was negotiating the ore half time pie rush, Camby score right on half time. 10 men and one down at half time we trudge in and a few disgruntled shouts at the ref ring out. Most of my first half shouts of good defending or good tackle or good header weren’t for our players. They controlled 2nd half and when they scored their 2nd when a wee guy found space between 2 big defenders and slotted him it was a case of 2,2,2....... 2 down, 2 easy a finish and 2 many of us off the pace. We did pick up a bit as a combination of Camby sitting back and the Candy pushing on meant we had a couple of chances, 2 of which were saved well by the returning Ginger keeper. You could argue that we could have got a draw but over the piece I don’t think you could argue with the result. Good luck to Camby in the next round. Talking of which the draw took place in the clubhouse after the game and was screened live on the Candy Facebook page. I spoke to the match secretary before the game and his ideas seemed refreshing to me. Anything that anyone can do to increase the profile of junior football has to be given a chance.

Another bumper crowd yesterday made up of hundreds of Candy fans and a sizeable and welcomed Camby fan base and a specially run mini bus 12 strong and full from the yellow jacket ted Police Scotland ground hoppers and testimony to the club and all the behind the scenes officials and the fans who have transformed this club over the last few years. I read during the week that the ambition of the club is to continue to grow and become one of the “big” junior clubs in Glasgow. Judging on yesterday, we may not be on our way to lift the cup but I would suggest they are certainly on their to growing and competing with the big boys. I am sure the Camby fans would have enjoyed their day putting one over on us and being part of a big match, well attended and ultimately emerging victorious. I remember how we felt when we beat them 0-1 away in the league, there is nothing like a win in a big game away at your rivals. I am sure, for the Candy, there are many more of those days ahead. Even though it was Camby’s day yesterday, I got my usual sensory nutrition and another day sharing something with my old man. I saw everyone else sharing something too. It is the thing that unites and binds and fills your soul, even if some don’t realise it... and that makes everything, even a cup elimination, take its place in priorities. Scotland take on the lowest ranked country in world football later today. Even for those lowly San Marinians the only way is up. A dose of football reality for all concerned yesterday and a wake up call if you have the ears to listen. I always take something from my football and I left with my auld man and trudged back to the car with a lot to think about and somewhat happier despite the result. Who would ever have though a wee piece of Candy on a Saturday afternoon could give me so much?

Mon the Candy!
MTC [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_4346.thumb.jpg.40fd560868ea61bf3a87495c64df5fd1.jpgIMG_4335.thumb.jpg.c2a11659a113adfcb809816fa76198f1.jpgIMG_4333.thumb.jpg.ed73c4f7372040ee7ccf45bb9b48087d.jpgIMG_4329.thumb.jpg.95a10623d005cdd63577c2e3153a3c1c.jpgIMG_4340.thumb.jpg.c8f61afb503db6fe87cacde751b50dd0.jpg
It's good too see the Roch are doing well on and off the park,the club itself will be where it wants to be,up at Larkhall the committee are working hard behind the scenes to get us ready for next season,and may I also point out the crowds are not to bad either at our home games,this season was just a bridge too far