St Roch"s 2018/19

21stcenturyboy

I'm guessing st rochs were leading until it went to 10?
They went 2-1 ahead in the 69th minute before they had their first player sent off in the 77th minute. Glencairn equalised in the 82nd minute from a set piece (no extra man influence) and then St Roch's had another man sent off in the 89th minute.

5 minutes ago, glensmad said:
15 minutes ago, Junior Guy said:
I'm guessing st rochs were leading until it went to 10?

They went 2-1 ahead in the 69th minute before they had their first player sent off in the 77th minute. Glencairn equalised in the 82nd minute from a set piece (no extra man influence) and then St Roch's had another man sent off in the 89th minute.

Peter 

Give yourself a break - the point here is not about  Glencairn it is about our discipline. Your game was just another instance of our poor discipline - no one will think badly of your team for not beating 9 men - calm down.

The guy was asking about yesterday 

Peter 
Give yourself a break - the point here is not about  Glencairn it is about our discipline. Your game was just another instance of our poor discipline - no one will think badly of your team for not beating 9 men - calm down.
I don't think he was actually, if you read back the posts. I was only answering his direct questions to me.

Some very good points made, we all just want to see the team win and do well. Its just frustrating sometimes to see all the hard work of management team and players undone with some daftness. Some teams are there for the beating, we are our own worst enemy sometimes. I think its just easier to swallow if you are beat fair and square with a better footballing side. I think we are a better team than our league position reflects but its only points on the board that count. Lets regroup and get a win next week.

Glensmad saying it was a set piece so non numerical advantage but when you are down to 10/9 etc at set pieces i do think it counts, that could be an extra man in a wall or having a man to put on a post or track a runner into the box.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, 21stcenturyboy said:
Peter 

I don't think he was actually, if you read back the posts. I was only answering his direct questions to me.

I was asking with regards to the glencairn game. 5 mins after the red at a vital point in the game a goal lost. I believe extra man  plays a part. But overall I think everyone can agree poor discipline is costly and has to stop. No point in going over and over it. It will only change when the players change.

Premier league absence means Kinky presence and the first of what I hope will be many is at New Tinto Park against a high flying Benburb. I collect the old man and head off Govan way, a cut off the motorway and I suggest we grab a McD’s coffee as we are really early... “we’ll go through the drive through then park at the ground” He agrees only to announce when the lengthy drive thru Q has been negotiated, like a child, that he needs a pee... he finds his seat belt after an inordinately long time, squeezes himself out the car and shuffled into the wean filled McMadHoose. 15 minutes later he emerges and with my coffee finished and his cold, we head off round the corner. I normally park in the car park at NTP but the gates are closed and whole the street almost full. The old guy on the gate suggests I park in front of the gates as his gaffer wants the car park to stay shut. A conscientious chap am I and I suggest that blocking the main gate isn’t a good idea so find a spot over in the corner where I will later encounter a Candy Crushed fan after the game. As I park the 1920 brake pulls up and the usual suspects alight. The Gaffer is shaking them by the hand one by one and I think this is a joyous new innovative Candy inclusion idea, showing appreciation for the travelling green. This Candy bubble is popped when the last fan shakes hands and the gaffer goes to his car beside the bus and collects something he must have forgot. Not planned but a good gesture I thought by the gaffer who climbs in my estimations with every passing interaction. We head for the gate in the fence and my old man pays our money and he gets 2 magic yellow tickets which I found out on Twitter last night got you a hot drink for free... what chance my deaf da hearing that? Great gesture from Bens who benefited ££wise from a large Candy gate no doubt. The Candy Fans not only bring noise and colour and banter and passion and laughs to a game but we also fill our hosts’ pockets with much needed revenue. There are more than just points benefits to eating the Candy! We buy a pie and quaff a coffee and as he sits I shake hands and chat outside. There is a big Candy Crowd and the chat is cheery and optimistic. The new year brings hope I think. I am hoping for and expecting a good one......

“Even during the worst of times,

When I feel the years go slipping by,

Life seems rife with possibilities,

When the New Year arrives.”

A new year but eventually the same old story as we look down to the bare bones numbers wise but a good team is fielded. We struggle early on with the pacey right winger but settle and a whipped delivery bounces around and is lashed home by Kieron Martin. Bens go long ball for 20 mins. “is that aw yeez huv goat?” Is the Candy cry. Despite the Christmas post being exhausted we still pick up cards and after being fouled and winning a free kick, we lose a man to a second yellow for swearing whilst speaking to the ref. Some say speaking some say moaning the player himself says he swore.... and we wonder why it’s a yellow?? I went to ask GOTW and his merry bunch at half time. He condemned the refs decision as disgraceful, although admitted he didn’t hear exactly what was said!! I would expect nothing less Chris.. always back your team. Even if it was a sweaty sweary word, a booking could be seen as harsh and perhaps a quiet or firm word would suffice... but it is a yellow. In football passions run high. People do things they probably aren’t proud of when they reflect outwith the battle...I understand that the red mist can come down and impulsive random actions happen. What I don’t like is the same old pish (see old fan rant after the game at my car later..) and an “amazement” and conspiracy theory being chucked about when a bookable offence gets a booking. Some are soft and some are over the top but I never saw a yellow card yesterday that wasn’t a yellow card offence. The ref missed some and people call for consistency and they have a point. That doesn’t mean a yellow card he gives out shouldn’t have been given. We make our own trouble and when you are playing a decent team then you don’t have your troubles to seek. We were stupid and we were naiave, you have to be smart not just with your body but with your brain and your mind, be cute and clever and know the signs and adjust.. but some players let themselves, the management and the fans down. Fans don’t mind going into the fight with you and some will defend you vocally on the terraces and Twitterilly and Pie&Bovrilly to the world, but our undying and sometimes irrational partisan backing doesn’t dissolve you of your duty to keep your standards high and show some self control and discipline. Players decide their own fate... some of our players are, to the unbiased and untinted eye, making their own bed. We had a bad run of ill-discipline and it cost us a few years ago. I mentioned it in here and said that over the season we would get nothing finishing with 10 and 9 players finishing. The gaffer and the lads corrected that for the most part last season and we went up.... if football is a hard game at 11 vs 11 it is harder when you are out numbered. Fact. Think before you act.... but I accept that the impetuosity of youth can seem reckless to old farts like me... but we have all seen better players than these flounder on the rocks of their actions. I really hope they learn because despite the handshakes on the terraces with 20 minutes to go, our players should be on the pitch helping their mates, not watching them sink from the stands. There comes a point when the effort doesn’t outweigh the reward. The terraces are full of great players who couldn’t control themselves and let themselves down..... there is a better way... figure it out.. fast.

With the new year lecture over, back to the match. We are holding on and working hard but tired legs see us caught the wrong side in midfield and unable to get back as the big commanding 4 (played well) starts driving into midfield from the back and spaces start appearing. Tierney and Dickson are doggedly defending and everyone is working a 10th harder at least. Let’s not kid ourselves, we lost to the better team. They had 2 disallowed (first one dispelling any officials conspiracy theory for me as it looked ok from the side?) and missed numerous chances, a few “and Smith must score” efforts and possession dominance. We had a handful if we were lucky. They fired a long range equaliser with 15 to go and then Starky gets another Yellow (I could see what was going to happen and was hoping against my better judgement that he would put the gloves back on and boot the ball.. he didn’t... well not till he got the red then he launched it over the fence and into the housing estate.. again. Who’s fault is that?) which makes Two which makes Red and we take 5 mins to get that all sorted, giving the ref leeway to add on stoppage time which sees a missed header and a chest down shot from the edge of the box drill in past our centre forward who is now in goal. They celebrate like they have won the league and we are flat. It had an inevitability about it for me. It would have been a great point and testimony to the dogged defending of those left in the trenches. It wasn’t to be though and it was a deserved Benburb who took all 3 points. I speak to a wise sage who like me trudges towards the gate mentally in the same state as my auld man is physically.... shaking and troubled and unsure and sick of things having seen better days.... what can we do though???

I get to the car and as I try to shoehorn the auld man into his seat I tell another old Candy Guy “we shot ourselves in the foot” and he announces in an angry tirade that he is sick of the same old rubbish attitude and lack of discipline and chucking games away and he isnae cummin back againe.... he will.... I hope.

“Even during the worst of Candy times,

When I feel the years and points go slipping by,

Candy Life seems rife with possibilities,

When the New Candy Year comes”

The ref got plenty of stick from the fans with one shout raising the sides of my mouth.. “Eye contact will soon be a foul wae you ya pr*ck” Eye

Contact, Aye.. I.... When the love hurts you say silly thinks.. Love and pain and the eternal mystery of football and the ebb and flow of emotions that keep us together and sharing our team. I shared yesterday with a great bunch of Candy fans and a decent bunch of Bens folk, a good crowd and an incident packed game. I shared it again with my dad and I am thankful for that. It’s a new year and an old feeling.... football..... it gives us all more than it ever takes away.... even if we urnae cummin againe, even if our minds are shredded our nerves shattered our hopes and dreams deflated and our bodies failing. It’s a new Candy year and despite the result, it started with a Candy Cracker that was pulled and exploded right in front of our eyes. The jokes are poor, the wee toy rubbish, but there is something delightful about putting on the new year Candy hat... and knowing you have shared it with people you care about.

Happy New Candy Year.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.700e1bd49ec58f17ee885bce0e6fd8af.jpgIMG_3158.thumb.jpg.3f50f0102d03c1a2d7c93c71ebdb51b2.jpgIMG_3157.thumb.jpg.876bcc6d23a20a1a2a2c1ee7111ce109.jpg

Premier league absence means Kinky presence and the first of what I hope will be many is at New Tinto Park against a high flying Benburb. I collect the old man and head off Govan way, a cut off the motorway and I suggest we grab a McD’s coffee as we are really early... “we’ll go through the drive through then park at the ground” He agrees only to announce when the lengthy drive thru Q has been negotiated, like a child, that he needs a pee... he finds his seat belt after an inordinately long time, squeezes himself out the car and shuffled into the wean filled McMadHoose. 15 minutes later he emerges and with my coffee finished and his cold, we head off round the corner. I normally park in the car park at NTP but the gates are closed and whole the street almost full. The old guy on the gate suggests I park in front of the gates as his gaffer wants the car park to stay shut. A conscientious chap am I and I suggest that blocking the main gate isn’t a good idea so find a spot over in the corner where I will later encounter a Candy Crushed fan after the game. As I park the 1920 brake pulls up and the usual suspects alight. The Gaffer is shaking them by the hand one by one and I think this is a joyous new innovative Candy inclusion idea, showing appreciation for the travelling green. This Candy bubble is popped when the last fan shakes hands and the gaffer goes to his car beside the bus and collects something he must have forgot. Not planned but a good gesture I thought by the gaffer who climbs in my estimations with every passing interaction. We head for the gate in the fence and my old man pays our money and he gets 2 magic yellow tickets which I found out on Twitter last night got you a hot drink for free... what chance my deaf da hearing that? Great gesture from Bens who benefited ££wise from a large Candy gate no doubt. The Candy Fans not only bring noise and colour and banter and passion and laughs to a game but we also fill our hosts’ pockets with much needed revenue. There are more than just points benefits to eating the Candy! We buy a pie and quaff a coffee and as he sits I shake hands and chat outside. There is a big Candy Crowd and the chat is cheery and optimistic. The new year brings hope I think. I am hoping for and expecting a good one......

“Even during the worst of times,

When I feel the years go slipping by,

Life seems rife with possibilities,

When the New Year arrives.”

A new year but eventually the same old story as we look down to the bare bones numbers wise but a good team is fielded. We struggle early on with the pacey right winger but settle and a whipped delivery bounces around and is lashed home by Kieron Martin. Bens go long ball for 20 mins. “is that aw yeez huv goat?” Is the Candy cry. Despite the Christmas post being exhausted we still pick up cards and after being fouled and winning a free kick, we lose a man to a second yellow for swearing whilst speaking to the ref. Some say speaking some say moaning the player himself says he swore.... and we wonder why it’s a yellow?? I went to ask GOTW and his merry bunch at half time. He condemned the refs decision as disgraceful, although admitted he didn’t hear exactly what was said!! I would expect nothing less Chris.. always back your team. Even if it was a sweaty sweary word, a booking could be seen as harsh and perhaps a quiet or firm word would suffice... but it is a yellow. In football passions run high. People do things they probably aren’t proud of when they reflect outwith the battle...I understand that the red mist can come down and impulsive random actions happen. What I don’t like is the same old pish (see old fan rant after the game at my car later..) and an “amazement” and conspiracy theory being chucked about when a bookable offence gets a booking. Some are soft and some are over the top but I never saw a yellow card yesterday that wasn’t a yellow card offence. The ref missed some and people call for consistency and they have a point. That doesn’t mean a yellow card he gives out shouldn’t have been given. We make our own trouble and when you are playing a decent team then you don’t have your troubles to seek. We were stupid and we were naiave, you have to be smart not just with your body but with your brain and your mind, be cute and clever and know the signs and adjust.. but some players let themselves, the management and the fans down. Fans don’t mind going into the fight with you and some will defend you vocally on the terraces and Twitterilly and Pie&Bovrilly to the world, but our undying and sometimes irrational partisan backing doesn’t dissolve you of your duty to keep your standards high and show some self control and discipline. Players decide their own fate... some of our players are, to the unbiased and untinted eye, making their own bed. We had a bad run of ill-discipline and it cost us a few years ago. I mentioned it in here and said that over the season we would get nothing finishing with 10 and 9 players finishing. The gaffer and the lads corrected that for the most part last season and we went up.... if football is a hard game at 11 vs 11 it is harder when you are out numbered. Fact. Think before you act.... but I accept that the impetuosity of youth can seem reckless to old farts like me... but we have all seen better players than these flounder on the rocks of their actions. I really hope they learn because despite the handshakes on the terraces with 20 minutes to go, our players should be on the pitch helping their mates, not watching them sink from the stands. There comes a point when the effort doesn’t outweigh the reward. The terraces are full of great players who couldn’t control themselves and let themselves down..... there is a better way... figure it out.. fast.

With the new year lecture over, back to the match. We are holding on and working hard but tired legs see us caught the wrong side in midfield and unable to get back as the big commanding 4 (played well) starts driving into midfield from the back and spaces start appearing. Tierney and Dickson are doggedly defending and everyone is working a 10th harder at least. Let’s not kid ourselves, we lost to the better team. They had 2 disallowed (first one dispelling any officials conspiracy theory for me as it looked ok from the side?) and missed numerous chances, a few “and Smith must score” efforts and possession dominance. We had a handful if we were lucky. They fired a long range equaliser with 15 to go and then Starky gets another Yellow (I could see what was going to happen and was hoping against my better judgement that he would put the gloves back on and boot the ball.. he didn’t... well not till he got the red then he launched it over the fence and into the housing estate.. again. Who’s fault is that?) which makes Two which makes Red and we take 5 mins to get that all sorted, giving the ref leeway to add on stoppage time which sees a missed header and a chest down shot from the edge of the box drill in past our centre forward who is now in goal. They celebrate like they have won the league and we are flat. It had an inevitability about it for me. It would have been a great point and testimony to the dogged defending of those left in the trenches. It wasn’t to be though and it was a deserved Benburb who took all 3 points. I speak to a wise sage who like me trudges towards the gate mentally in the same state as my auld man is physically.... shaking and troubled and unsure and sick of things having seen better days.... what can we do though???

I get to the car and as I try to shoehorn the auld man into his seat I tell another old Candy Guy “we shot ourselves in the foot” and he announces in an angry tirade that he is sick of the same old rubbish attitude and lack of discipline and chucking games away and he isnae cummin back againe.... he will.... I hope.

“Even during the worst of Candy times,

When I feel the years and points go slipping by,

Candy Life seems rife with possibilities,

When the New Candy Year comes”

The ref got plenty of stick from the fans with one shout raising the sides of my mouth.. “Eye contact will soon be a foul wae you ya pr*ck” Eye

Contact, Aye.. I.... When the love hurts you say silly thinks.. Love and pain and the eternal mystery of football and the ebb and flow of emotions that keep us together and sharing our team. I shared yesterday with a great bunch of Candy fans and a decent bunch of Bens folk, a good crowd and an incident packed game. I shared it again with my dad and I am thankful for that. It’s a new year and an old feeling.... football..... it gives us all more than it ever takes away.... even if we urnae cummin againe, even if our minds are shredded our nerves shattered our hopes and dreams deflated and our bodies failing. It’s a new Candy year and despite the result, it started with a Candy Cracker that was pulled and exploded right in front of our eyes. The jokes are poor, the wee toy rubbish, but there is something delightful about putting on the new year Candy hat... and knowing you have shared it with people you care about.

Happy New Candy Year.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.700e1bd49ec58f17ee885bce0e6fd8af.jpgIMG_3158.thumb.jpg.3f50f0102d03c1a2d7c93c71ebdb51b2.jpgIMG_3157.thumb.jpg.876bcc6d23a20a1a2a2c1ee7111ce109.jpg

Fantastic kinky

I had held off having breakfast till your match report was posted as that was always part of my Sunday morning ritual in previous seasons and once again you delivered with humour and a brutal honesty injected with passion for the game and the football club .

15 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

I don't think either red was justified Dan
We got 9 players booked and 2 sent off today and I don't recall a bad tackle in the game
Yes it's popular at the moment to defend the ref and sugar coat everything but he was so far out his depth today it was embarrassing and ruined what would have been a great game .

Where in the junior game is it popular to defend refs.....unless you’re not talking about the junior game, but why wouldn’t you be talking about the junior game as it’s a junior forum:whistle 

Where in the junior game is it popular to defend refs.....unless you’re not talking about the junior game, but why wouldn’t you be talking about the junior game as it’s a junior forum:whistle 
Excuse me ?
I don't need to justify myself to you but to set the record straight I was indeed talking about the junior game and clearly you don't follow the same pages as me on twitter or individuals who were indeed defending referees and the performance of one in particular yesterday

23 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Excuse me ?
I don't need to justify myself to you but to set the record straight I was indeed talking about the junior game and clearly you don't follow the same pages as me on twitter or individuals who were indeed defending referees and the performance of one in particular yesterday

No I don’t follow you on twitter as I’m sure the vast majority on this forum won’t, hence the reason for a bit of clarity on your point about the refs. Yi ragin;)

Thing is with fines it could cost club a fortune for example in the cup competitions a yellow card is £10 add at up over  all cups during the season and it’s small fortune  for yellows alone ... if a player gets it for Mouthing off off or some thing in that nature a think they should pay it themselfs 

I fully understand where the gaffer is coming from
To deduct from the small wage we pay from a person who is unemployed or on a low income is counter productive and in fact goes against the ethos of the club and what the gaffer and the committee have made the club stand for .
We need to find a solution it won't be easy but hopefully we can .

39 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

I fully understand where the gaffer is coming from
To deduct from the small wage we pay from a person who is unemployed or on a low income is counter productive and in fact goes against the ethos of the club and what the gaffer and the committee have made the club stand for .
We need to find a solution it won't be easy but hopefully we can .

Dry ur eyes and get on with it , u never hear us moaning about referees when we are drawing our way to the record books :whistle

7 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:
14 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:
Dry ur eyes and get on with it , u never hear us moaning about referees when we are drawing our way to the record books 

Haha your too busy telling everyone you played the other team off the park to bother with the refs 

No yesterday we never