St Roch"s 2018/19

21stcenturyboy

3 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Season is over for both of us
Mid table is where we both will finish

Not quite, we’re still in two cups and it’s important we finish as high up the League as we can. Noises coming from higher up in Scottish Football look like clubs trying to protect themselves from relegation with talk of LL2 and SFL3. Who’s to say a West of Scotland League might not be set up as well. Look what happened last summer in the East Region. I except we can forget a top three place but i’d be looking for a place in the top eight and see what happens elsewhere.

Not quite, we’re still in two cups and it’s important we finish as high up the League as we can. Noises coming from higher up in Scottish Football look like clubs trying to protect themselves from relegation with talk of LL2 and SFL3. Who’s to say a West of Scotland League might not be set up as well. Look what happened last summer in the East Region. I except we can forget a top three place but i’d be looking for a place in the top eight and see what happens elsewhere.
You could be right regarding change glemconner.
As for the cups yes anything can happen in a one off cup tie but I won't be putting money on it as largs would need to have a real off day .
The league cup we would hope to beat Shotts but will be a tough game and if we do then it's just the luck of the draw but starky and Martin will be big misses for an already depleted squad on Saturday

As for the cups yes anything can happen in a one off cup tie but I won't be putting money on it as largs would need to have a real off day .
The league cup we would hope to beat Shotts but will be a tough game and if we do then it's just the luck of the draw but starky and Martin will be big misses for an already depleted squad on Saturday
The league cup ? Do you mean the West of Scotland Cup ?

15 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Always look on the bright side of life.

10 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Really strange seeing you downbeat about the Candy mate. Still a lot to play for .  Realistically a top 3 finish was  unlikely.   Your team has done superbly so far with a few decent scalps taken.  You will finish comfortably in the league and are making big leaps on and off the park.  I feel for you about the indiscipline , Arthurlie had the same problem a couple of seasons ago.  Something like 20 red cards in the season.  No chance of mounting  a challenge with a record like that.   

Could be next season we all see what St. Rochs are really capable of but i'm certain it will happen for them.  There are a few clubs treading water, some on their way down but your club are undoubtably on the way up.   Cheer up Griff its not as bad a you think mate. 

Really strange seeing you downbeat about the Candy mate. Still a lot to play for .  Realistically a top 3 finish was  unlikely.   Your team has done superbly so far with a few decent scalps taken.  You will finish comfortably in the league and are making big leaps on and off the park.  I feel for you about the indiscipline , Arthurlie had the same problem a couple of seasons ago.  Something like 20 red cards in the season.  No chance of mounting  a challenge with a record like that.    Could be next season we all see what St. Rochs are really capable of but i'm certain it will happen for them.  There are a few clubs treading water, some on their way down but your club are undoubtably on the way up.   Cheer up Griff its not as bad a you think mate. 

Thanks m8 and your spot on As fans we have been spoiled in recent seasons and sometimes we get too carried away ( me definitely ) .

We are not a big club financially and what the gaffer has achieved on and off the park is remarkable so I should enjoy more what the club have achieved but like every football fan I want more and despite knowing consolidation was our realistic target for the season.

, I had my heart set on promotion so I was gutted over the weekend as I think that was the result that effectively ended any outside hopes we had then to add injury to insult we have now players suspended for the cup games .

Was talking to the Dan man last night ( Rossvale fan ) and I was saying you guys at Arthurlie have came right out the pack in recent weeks so for a natural it will make for a fantastic run in if it stays the same as looks like 5/6 teams now split from the rest and chasing the 3 promotion places .

6 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Thanks m8 and your spot on As fans we have been spoiled in recent seasons and sometimes we get too carried away ( me definitely ) .

We are not a big club financially and what the gaffer has achieved on and off the park is remarkable so I should enjoy more what the club have achieved but like every football fan I want more and despite knowing consolidation was our realistic target for the season.

, I had my heart set on promotion so I was gutted over the weekend as I think that was the result that effectively ended any outside hopes we had then to add injury to insult we have now players suspended for the cup games .

Was talking to the Dan man last night ( Rossvale fan ) and I was saying you guys at Arthurlie have came right out the pack in recent weeks so for a natural it will make for a fantastic run in if it stays the same as looks like 5/6 teams now split from the rest and chasing the 3 promotion places .

I agree Arthurlie have gone on a good run, but outwith the Glens and The Bens, I wouldn't swap position with any of the others.

The Roch do need to sort their discipline, don't know how Andy will do it ( I agree totally with the fines situation) The Roch have made themselves an easy target for ref's but it's costing you points every other week. Could easily be 10 points better off and in the mix. Long way still to go mind 

56 minutes ago, DanMan said:

I agree Arthurlie have gone on a good run, but outwith the Glens and The Bens, I wouldn't swap position with any of the others.

The Roch do need to sort their discipline, don't know how Andy will do it ( I agree totally with the fines situation) The Roch have made themselves an easy target for ref's but it's costing you points every other week. Could easily be 10 points better off and in the mix. Long way still to go mind 

I agree i think Rossvale are in a good position but playing catch up can sometimes take its toll.  As well as Rossvale i think Cumbernauld are well equipped to be top 3.  They ran over the top of us at Dunterlie and we were lucky it wasn't a real hammering.  They have looked the best in the league in my opinion but may have a soft underbelly going by some of their results.  Arthurlie probably need to beat Rossvale , Cumbernauld , Benburb and Glencairn in the return games to have a real chance.  We took only 1 point from the first games against these teams so it may be a bit of a stretch to expect us to take maximum in the return games.  Still i am delighted with the improvements made this season.

You could make a case for all the leading pack at the moment

A lot of football still to be played and I think the results against each other will ultimately decide who goes up .

Personally I would love to see Kilsyth and our noisy neighbours Rossvale go up .

Kilsyth are a right good side and there fans are top notch aswell plus they have an ex candy player .

The young pups down the road have been excellent on the pitch and working really hard off it to improve the match day experience despite having a very small working committee.

I'm sure if they go up they won't let us hear the end of it and heaven forbid they win it as they will stick another wee star on there shirt lol

But sometimes in life you just need to take it on the chin and accept that your rivals are doing the business and applaud them

46 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Personally I would love to see Kilsyth and our noisy neighbours Rossvale go up .

Kilsyth are a right good side and there fans are top notch aswell plus they have an ex candy player

Thanks bud, if only our away form could have been the same as our home and we would have more points, young Reece scored on Saturday and had a right good game in the middle of the park, I'm sure St Roch's will have a say in who goes up, don't know who you still have to play at the top, I'm just glad we have played you twice already

Thanks bud, if only our away form could have been the same as our home and we would have more points, young Reece scored on Saturday and had a right good game in the middle of the park, I'm sure St Roch's will have a say in who goes up, don't know who you still have to play at the top, I'm just glad we have played you twice already
Smashing player young Reece
A good bit of business snapping him up
We should have tried s swap deal for your big number 4 lol .
We still have everyone in the pack except yourselves and Benburb so hopefully we can do you a wee favour or two in the run in [emoji106]

The rain fell. It was a day and date to be remembered and far from drowning my spirits, I loved it. Is there anything better than you and something or someone else you love? If you are lucky enough to share something, to be there and experience it, whether that is time with your loved one or time with something you love, then don’t take it for granted. The game during the day and a wee date night cinema restaurant combo to see Stan and Ollie, another fine mess I got myself into.... for a change. This isn’t a doctor’s report but my auld man still isn’t himself and was going to miss the game and recover from a tiring Friday. Old folk and old memories and old records of good old players and good old days. I’m glad he decided after some encouragement to come with as he too can say he was there. I treasure the time and the things we still share. I’m glad I was there with him. The weather wasn’t promising much so we wrap up well and park on a busy street, dodging the puddles as we alight, plod along the well trodden path and join a 20 strong queue waiting to pay it. It was the grey and cold of a day that makes you pull your jacket a little bit closer, my auld man resplendent in my old Candy hat which he has now claimed, heads for the coffees and pies but it is queued, like the turnstile, back to the entrance. A decent crowd in already with a healthy band of merry Shottsers for what was to prove a milestone day. I go outside and procure another bunnet for a tenner and the cold is blocked out as it slips like a glove over my head... “take the tag aff big man” and 4 guys near me start scratching around their ankles (joke!) so I remove the label and I feel ready for the game as we exchange handshakes and debriefs about last week and our red card misery (sometimes ability is drowned by behaviour) and I chew the fat and share a few laughs about better times with the lads. A quick chat with former Candy team mate John Logan....the Logie of my days..They were all there too....

The Candy start well and go 2 up with some slick passing play in spite of the conditions. We play better I think than a lot of people give us credit for. We certainly play better than the weather and it looks like it could be anything as Shotts struggle and slip slide away a 2 goal start. Their MyLeftFoot number 9 starts to make some good runs and is playing well, taking up good positions and holding the ball up well as Shotts’ shakey start suddenly screeches to a free headed goal stop and they are back in it. I actually called the free header before it happened as we don’t even line up properly to defend corners. I don’t understand how our centre backs allow this rubbish to continue. Grab a hold of the situation and bawl everyone into alertness and responsibility for their actions. We seem too timid and too tame and too quiet to defend them properly. Get yer bloody elbows oot lads! Don’t let players run across you.. ever! If they outjump you or are better than you or stronger than you then it is fair enough but we are slapstick comedy defenders when we act like this. Big Oliver Hardy could have got off the ground better than us. As it was their guy rose (not like a salmon) like a snake and nodded home. There’s a shock. We trudge toward a half time cuppa and there is only one goal in it with Shotts picking up as the half draws to a close. I was disappointed and even more so when I saw the queue was still the same for coffees. “Maybe if our back 4 were serving we would be able to get to the counter more easily?”... harsh but if the bowler hat fits. True words said in jest.... we needed more in the second half... I spoke to a former Fauldhouse player Jordan Love who was a sub for Shotts at half time. Not just left on the bench but left out of the dressing room at half time too! He scored a 93rd minute last game of the season goal away at StAndrews that kept us up on goal difference a few seasons ago.... I was there......

It is hardly an “All covered stadium” as someone said (He reminded me of an old guy who once called his “all inclusive” hotel “fully comprehensive”. I was going to ask if that included holiday insurance but I feared it might have been lost on him!) but after the tailor report not only criticised the track suits and strips then redressed us and initiated ground development, it was a fabulous sight to see all areas full and everyone settling in for the second half. Rab and Logie had one each and Jordan was sitting on 98 lifetime Candy goals. We stepped it up and after another one each for our scorers and Shotts, we sit at 4-2 when the keeper wipes out a CandyMan and the ball is in the spot. Rab hands the call to Logie who steps up and rolls home his one hundredth landmark goal as a Candy player. Well done son, be proud, be very proud. He is certainly etched in Candy top goal scorer history now with old legends of the past (one of those, The legend that is Shuggy Farrell, still comes to the odd game too). Shotts Nick one just after Logie is subbed to applause and handshakes all round and the game is done. I was there....

The new terrace sheds were a godsend yesterday as all 4 covered enclosures were brusting at the seems like Ollie’s shirt. It was so packed in the main enclosure that grown men were asking to push in to the front to see, like the young terrace dreamers we were as children... when footballers were mythical heroes and the pace and colour and the noise and the glamour and the magic of the football we loved planted the seeds that, for us all, still bloom and flourish and make us think and smile and remember all that was and all that we were and all that we shared.

Some great Candy shouts including “The ref can talk mandarine” (rhymes with tangerine) and as the rowdy fans opposite cheered a disallowed goal “Shove it up yer sheep’s arse”.... and finally when Logie was subbed “ yay should huv left him oan. Ah wan-tid a hunner an wan!” Shotts limped home out of the cup, back to the Blue Ridged Mountains of Shottginia on the trail of the lonesome pine, heavy legged but heavy pocketed from their share of the packed gate. I hope they didn’t get a share of the pie stall too.... you wouldn’t be able to shove all that up your pet sheep’s arse...... perhaps they’ll try?

“I wish I was there,

to show you I care,

to show you my love,

and to show you I’ll always be there.”

Jimmy McGrory was smiling yesterday as the rain lashed down on a mammoth crowd and a historic milestone was reached. There are days when it is good to say you were there. I can remember all sorts in my football life, some good and some bad. If you can treat both those imposters the same then you have a vivid library of experience, well logged and catalogued and filed in easy to access memory folders... I access them regularly and they are one of my most valuable possessions. I add to it regularly and whilst most could be deleted easily, I don’t think yesterday will..... when history is made it is good to be there. It cements a bit of you in it forever and like Stan and Ollie, no matter how many years pass, it goes together. That’s just the way it is. We can all take something from that... and that’s that. We were there. Exactly....Fine..... Swell.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_3192.thumb.jpg.537e7ec976555cac8da9b373a4e8d82e.jpg

IMG_3206.thumb.jpg.d567f81b7ca2feeee18ebc16bfb6039c.jpgIMG_3208.thumb.jpg.4f4a6e033a4b13999439e56371b89a3e.jpgIMG_3205.thumb.jpg.87e45dd6784bc096efc428a393cf97d3.jpg

The rain fell. It was a day and date to be remembered and far from drowning my spirits, I loved it. Is there anything better than you and something or someone else you love? If you are lucky enough to share something, to be there and experience it, whether that is time with your loved one or time with something you love, then don’t take it for granted. The game during the day and a wee date night cinema restaurant combo to see Stan and Ollie, another fine mess I got myself into.... for a change. This isn’t a doctor’s report but my auld man still isn’t himself and was going to miss the game and recover from a tiring Friday. Old folk and old memories and old records of good old players and good old days. I’m glad he decided after some encouragement to come with as he too can say he was there. I treasure the time and the things we still share. I’m glad I was there with him. The weather wasn’t promising much so we wrap up well and park on a busy street, dodging the puddles as we alight, plod along the well trodden path and join a 20 strong queue waiting to pay it. It was the grey and cold of a day that makes you pull your jacket a little bit closer, my auld man resplendent in my old Candy hat which he has now claimed, heads for the coffees and pies but it is queued, like the turnstile, back to the entrance. A decent crowd in already with a healthy band of merry Shottsers for what was to prove a milestone day. I go outside and procure another bunnet for a tenner and the cold is blocked out as it slips like a glove over my head... “take the tag aff big man” and 4 guys near me start scratching around their ankles (joke!) so I remove the label and I feel ready for the game as we exchange handshakes and debriefs about last week and our red card misery (sometimes ability is drowned by behaviour) and I chew the fat and share a few laughs about better times with the lads. A quick chat with former Candy team mate John Logan....the Logie of my days..They were all there too....

The Candy start well and go 2 up with some slick passing play in spite of the conditions. We play better I think than a lot of people give us credit for. We certainly play better than the weather and it looks like it could be anything as Shotts struggle and slip slide away a 2 goal start. Their MyLeftFoot number 9 starts to make some good runs and is playing well, taking up good positions and holding the ball up well as Shotts’ shakey start suddenly screeches to a free headed goal stop and they are back in it. I actually called the free header before it happened as we don’t even line up properly to defend corners. I don’t understand how our centre backs allow this rubbish to continue. Grab a hold of the situation and bawl everyone into alertness and responsibility for their actions. We seem too timid and too tame and too quiet to defend them properly. Get yer bloody elbows oot lads! Don’t let players run across you.. ever! If they outjump you or are better than you or stronger than you then it is fair enough but we are slapstick comedy defenders when we act like this. Big Oliver Hardy could have got off the ground better than us. As it was their guy rose (not like a salmon) like a snake and nodded home. There’s a shock. We trudge toward a half time cuppa and there is only one goal in it with Shotts picking up as the half draws to a close. I was disappointed and even more so when I saw the queue was still the same for coffees. “Maybe if our back 4 were serving we would be able to get to the counter more easily?”... harsh but if the bowler hat fits. True words said in jest.... we needed more in the second half... I spoke to a former Fauldhouse player Jordan Love who was a sub for Shotts at half time. Not just left on the bench but left out of the dressing room at half time too! He scored a 93rd minute last game of the season goal away at StAndrews that kept us up on goal difference a few seasons ago.... I was there......

It is hardly an “All covered stadium” as someone said (He reminded me of an old guy who once called his “all inclusive” hotel “fully comprehensive”. I was going to ask if that included holiday insurance but I feared it might have been lost on him!) but after the tailor report not only criticised the track suits and strips then redressed us and initiated ground development, it was a fabulous sight to see all areas full and everyone settling in for the second half. Rab and Logie had one each and Jordan was sitting on 98 lifetime Candy goals. We stepped it up and after another one each for our scorers and Shotts, we sit at 4-2 when the keeper wipes out a CandyMan and the ball is in the spot. Rab hands the call to Logie who steps up and rolls home his one hundredth landmark goal as a Candy player. Well done son, be proud, be very proud. He is certainly etched in Candy top goal scorer history now with old legends of the past (one of those, The legend that is Shuggy Farrell, still comes to the odd game too). Shotts Nick one just after Logie is subbed to applause and handshakes all round and the game is done. I was there....

The new terrace sheds were a godsend yesterday as all 4 covered enclosures were brusting at the seems like Ollie’s shirt. It was so packed in the main enclosure that grown men were asking to push in to the front to see, like the young terrace dreamers we were as children... when footballers were mythical heroes and the pace and colour and the noise and the glamour and the magic of the football we loved planted the seeds that, for us all, still bloom and flourish and make us think and smile and remember all that was and all that we were and all that we shared.

Some great Candy shouts including “The ref can talk mandarine” (rhymes with tangerine) and as the rowdy fans opposite cheered a disallowed goal “Shove it up yer sheep’s arse”.... and finally when Logie was subbed “ yay should huv left him oan. Ah wan-tid a hunner an wan!” Shotts limped home out of the cup, back to the Blue Ridged Mountains of Shottginia on the trail of the lonesome pine, heavy legged but heavy pocketed from their share of the packed gate. I hope they didn’t get a share of the pie stall too.... you wouldn’t be able to shove all that up your pet sheep’s arse...... perhaps they’ll try?

“I wish I was there,

to show you I care,

to show you my love,

and to show you I’ll always be there.”

Jimmy McGrory was smiling yesterday as the rain lashed down on a mammoth crowd and a historic milestone was reached. There are days when it is good to say you were there. I can remember all sorts in my football life, some good and some bad. If you can treat both those imposters the same then you have a vivid library of experience, well logged and catalogued and filed in easy to access memory folders... I access them regularly and they are one of my most valuable possessions. I add to it regularly and whilst most could be deleted easily, I don’t think yesterday will..... when history is made it is good to be there. It cements a bit of you in it forever and like Stan and Ollie, no matter how many years pass, it goes together. That’s just the way it is. We can all take something from that... and that’s that. We were there. Exactly....Fine..... Swell.

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

IMG_3192.thumb.jpg.537e7ec976555cac8da9b373a4e8d82e.jpg

IMG_3206.thumb.jpg.d567f81b7ca2feeee18ebc16bfb6039c.jpgIMG_3208.thumb.jpg.4f4a6e033a4b13999439e56371b89a3e.jpgIMG_3205.thumb.jpg.87e45dd6784bc096efc428a393cf97d3.jpg

Superb as ever and as a huge laurel and hardy fan I loved the theme running through the post.

My only disappointment is that due to your work commitments you can't attend the games as much as you would like and this will be your last candy report for a while .

So on that note I will leave you with this stark reminder

" You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead " [emoji23]