St Roch"s 2018/19

21stcenturyboy

1-0 up and abso cruising today. As soon as the ref spoke to Tierney and booked him right after you knew what kinda ref he was.

Daw, already on a booking, gets awarded a free kick, the ref has actually agreed with him it was a foul against him and gives him the free kick but he ran his mouth and got a second yellow and off. 10 men with about an hour to go.

Then to make things worse Starky sent off for time wasting with no sub keeper on the bench and left the team even more out to dry. As much as the ref was poor, and he was poor, why are they putting themselves in these positions to give him the opportunity to send them off or book them ? Its stupidity. How many reds is that this season for Starky ?? ...4 ? ...5 ? When you count how many games he has actually started when not been injured or banned its mental. Good shot stopper on his day there is no doubt about that but i think now the bad points are outweighing the good points with him. I do not only blame Starky for the defeat today, not at all. Just looking at it overall.

The ref was not the greatest today by any means but this is not a one off. The discipline has been really poor and daft reds are very common. That ref today was not to blame for all them. I think its time not to blame refs and players should take some responsibility.
Stark has been sent off twice this season and we have not have very many red cards this season either
Today was one of the most shameful refereeing performances I have ever witnessed summed by that clown sending off starky for tying his joggers yet only booked the Ben's player for a flying elbow into the face of Hanlon
Starky has also been very rarely injured but can't make some games as he works Saturday's and uses up every single one of his holidays to play 90% of games each season

I heard Starky tell the bens managers dad behind the goal it was 4 reds for him, i don’t know if that included today, so i would say it was more than 2 if thats what the player himself said.

How many red cards have there been in total this season ? ...Surely i am only one who thinks the discipline is bad listening to the punters during match and on way out i do not think i am.

I agree with you the ref had a shocker, i said a few times ref was bad, but players need to be smarter, when you know the refs a tadger the last thing you should do is give him an opportunity, esp when you have already been booked.

I was not insisting he was injury prone or saying anything about work commitments just saying he has not played every single game this season and think his games to red ratio is not one to be proud of. Even when griff came in for him he got a red card too.

But hey, its all about opinions, we all have our own, we all stand and watch the same game but see it different and i am glad we do cause it would be boring if we did not.

Despite the result, I really enjoyed the game today and just like someone said on Twitter, I never shut up. There was loads to talk about during the game and loads of away fans to shake hands with before during and after. Also met a few non Candy fans I knew and got a nice pie and coffees from the wee club house again and a good seat and it didn’t rain and wasn’t too cold so a good day. With so many Candy fans there we are bound to see the same incident through different specs and I know already that I disagree with plenty of the opinions.... just remember though, a team who no one cares about never has disagreements between their fans. I’m looking forward to writing about the day tomorrow but for now I will leave you with the words of one disgruntled fan as I got back to my car.. “We shoot ourselves in the foot” says I.... “That’s it fur me. Ahm no coming back. Same every bloody week.. rid kerds, mouthin aff, nae mer”... I love an accurate match report!! He will be back I’m sure... the pain and passion of love makes you say the most emotional of things sometimes. We were the architects of our own downfall... don’t shoot the R’effin builder who is just doing what R’effin builders do.... I’m looking forward to getting it all out!
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

1-0 up and abso cruising today. As soon as the ref spoke to Tierney and booked him right after you knew what kinda ref he was.

Daw, already on a booking, gets awarded a free kick, the ref has actually agreed with him it was a foul against him and gives him the free kick but he ran his mouth and got a second yellow and off. 10 men with about an hour to go.

Then to make things worse Starky sent off for time wasting with no sub keeper on the bench and left the team even more out to dry. As much as the ref was poor, and he was poor, why are they putting themselves in these positions to give him the opportunity to send them off or book them ? Its stupidity. How many reds is that this season for Starky ?? ...4 ? ...5 ? When you count how many games he has actually started when not been injured or banned its mental. Good shot stopper on his day there is no doubt about that but i think now the bad points are outweighing the good points with him. I do not only blame Starky for the defeat today, not at all. Just looking at it overall.

The ref was not the greatest today by any means but this is not a one off. The discipline has been really poor and daft reds are very common. That ref today was not to blame for all them. I think its time not to blame refs and players should take some responsibility.
Simple the manager has got to get the discipline sorted. Fine line between aggression and and lost points for these reasons. Play for the team not what the supporters want you to do.
All the best for the new year.

7 minutes ago, Ringford10 said:

Simple the manager has got to get the discipline sorted. Fine line between aggression and and lost points for these reasons. Play for the team not what the supporters want you to do.
All the best for the new year.

Disagree with that, the manager cant be responsible for players actions once they go on the pitch. Players should know how to act

Disagree with that, the manager cant be responsible for players actions once they go on the pitch. Players should know how to act
Agree and disagree but the manager is ultimately responsible for his players actions/discipline.

I heard Starky tell the bens managers dad behind the goal it was 4 reds for him, i don’t know if that included today, so i would say it was more than 2 if thats what the player himself said.

How many red cards have there been in total this season ? ...Surely i am only one who thinks the discipline is bad listening to the punters during match and on way out i do not think i am.

I agree with you the ref had a shocker, i said a few times ref was bad, but players need to be smarter, when you know the refs a tadger the last thing you should do is give him an opportunity, esp when you have already been booked.

I was not insisting he was injury prone or saying anything about work commitments just saying he has not played every single game this season and think his games to red ratio is not one to be proud of. Even when griff came in for him he got a red card too.

But hey, its all about opinions, we all have our own, we all stand and watch the same game but see it different and i am glad we do cause it would be boring if we did not.

He was sent off against Kilsyth and today can't recall any other match he was red carded in this season

Two red cards two yellows both very weak in my opinion

Big starky seems to be carrying the can for his part .

First yellow for kicking the ball out of play after ref had blown for whatever reason yet I don't hear the same criticism of Eddie for being booked for putting the ball in the net after the whistle was blown yet both incidents identical yet for some it's a lack of discipline on the part of just one player .

The second yellow was for time wasting which was in fact for tying his joggies after shouting to the ref he needed to it before hand which I'm sure the ref could have added 30 seconds on at the end and again hardly indiscipline .

All I ask for is consistency Benburb called for sub yet ref allowed over a minute while there player got ready .

Yes it's all about opinions but indiscipline for me is a myth and for me it has been used to sugar coat an absolutely shocking performance from the guy in the middle

9 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:
4 hours ago, The stinger said:

He was sent off against Kilsyth and today can't recall any other match he was red carded in this season

To be fair Chris, 2 red cards for a goalie in half a season is pretty high. Your other goalie also got sent off against us. Discipline is defo an issue

To be fair Chris, 2 red cards for a goalie in half a season is pretty high. Your other goalie also got sent off against us. Discipline is defo an issue
I don't think either red was justified Dan
We got 9 players booked and 2 sent off today and I don't recall a bad tackle in the game
Yes it's popular at the moment to defend the ref and sugar coat everything but he was so far out his depth today it was embarrassing and ruined what would have been a great game .

Was brilliant seeing big kinky at the game today

A guy who knows the game inside out but always comes over for a chat and to ask your opinion of the match

Me and him usually disagree about everything but he never says your wrong it's always thats your opinion .

Junior football has many faults at times but for me the punters make it my favourite time of the week

The red cards were very weak, i also agree ref was poor as av said several times and also stated i do not blame only starky for the defeat. You 100% right eddie got a stupid booking too. I mentioned stark in particular because in my opinion a very large portion of his bookings are avoidable and for me its a pattern with him. Eddie i am not sure about, i dont know what his discipline was like before he joined the club and only time will time if he is the same, altho he was one of the two that walked against glencairn, a match the roch should of won but went down to 9 men again and ended a draw.

Bens were there for the taking yesterday and its just frustrating losing the 3 points when you are infront and in control.

There are no set amount of cards that says discipline is bad or good, in some peoples opinion what might be bad might not be bad in somebody else’s. In mine it is. When you lose points because of it and players coming in for players who have been red carded and then get red carded themselves that is not ideal, just as dan man said about griff seeing at at Rossvale. Last time at Rossvale it was 2 reds again, luckily it did not cost us.

As Ringford10 said, play for the team not the crowd and i feel thats how it is sometimes. Before Daw went off yesterday, during the match he was conversing with crowd on some decisions, never mind the crowd just keep head in the game. I think Stark also does this and one that sticks in my mind was at Cambuslang in the cup at start of last season. The ref and nearside linesman were abso horrific, right up there with worst i have seen. Correct me if i am wrong but i think there were 4 reds for Roch that day, 3 during match, one of which was for a sub who had not even came on yet and it was mistaking identity and 1 after fulltime whistle. The fans were singing that day that the ref was a mason to the tune of Seven nation army by the white stripes, it was quite funny, but Starkys red card was for calling the ref a masonic b*****d which thankfully was not wrote in the match report. Now the ref was abso honkin that day, but same as yesterday, when you inow the refs bad try and be wise and minimise the opportunity to give you a card by no doing anything daft.

Its a strange one, what can the manager do ? Fine them a fiver or something, i don’t think there is much the manager can do. They ate all big boys and should know better. Taking a booking for team is fine, bookings happen its part of the game, its the daft ones for talking back and kicking ball away that needs cut out. It needs a player with a bot of authority on the park to say, hey, shut up, that should be the captains role but as much as Daw is a great player in my opinion he is one of the offenders too and i think has also walked a couple of times this season, as much as Daw is great and a few others are great, there no much use if away for an early shower or watching from side cause serving a ban.

But on a positive note, the clubs is doing great things, ground enclosure and ongoing improvements are brilliant, the charity and community work is something to be very proud of, the social media stuff is great, mostly every fan has on something from candy merch, in the highest league in a long time and still in 2 cups. I think if candy stay in the league, which i think will happen then the season will be a success. I think just staying in the league and going on from there is a realistic target.

The red cards were very weak, i also agree ref was poor as av said several times and also stated i do not blame only starky for the defeat. You 100% right eddie got a stupid booking too. I mentioned stark in particular because in my opinion a very large portion of his bookings are avoidable and for me its a pattern with him. Eddie i am not sure about, i dont know what his discipline was like before he joined the club and only time will time if he is the same, altho he was one of the two that walked against glencairn, a match the roch should of won but went down to 9 men again and ended a draw.

Bens were there for the taking yesterday and its just frustrating losing the 3 points when you are infront and in control.

There are no set amount of cards that says discipline is bad or good, in some peoples opinion what might be bad might not be bad in somebody else’s. In mine it is. When you lose points because of it and players coming in for players who have been red carded and then get red carded themselves that is not ideal, just as dan man said about griff seeing at at Rossvale. Last time at Rossvale it was 2 reds again, luckily it did not cost us.

As Ringford10 said, play for the team not the crowd and i feel thats how it is sometimes. Before Daw went off yesterday, during the match he was conversing with crowd on some decisions, never mind the crowd just keep head in the game. I think Stark also does this and one that sticks in my mind was at Cambuslang in the cup at start of last season. The ref and nearside linesman were abso horrific, right up there with worst i have seen. Correct me if i am wrong but i think there were 4 reds for Roch that day, 3 during match, one of which was for a sub who had not even came on yet and it was mistaking identity and 1 after fulltime whistle. The fans were singing that day that the ref was a mason to the tune of Seven nation army by the white stripes, it was quite funny, but Starkys red card was for calling the ref a masonic b*****d which thankfully was not wrote in the match report. Now the ref was abso honkin that day, but same as yesterday, when you inow the refs bad try and be wise and minimise the opportunity to give you a card by no doing anything daft.

Its a strange one, what can the manager do ? Fine them a fiver or something, i don’t think there is much the manager can do. They ate all big boys and should know better. Taking a booking for team is fine, bookings happen its part of the game, its the daft ones for talking back and kicking ball away that needs cut out. It needs a player with a bot of authority on the park to say, hey, shut up, that should be the captains role but as much as Daw is a great player in my opinion he is one of the offenders too and i think has also walked a couple of times this season, as much as Daw is great and a few others are great, there no much use if away for an early shower or watching from side cause serving a ban.

But on a positive note, the clubs is doing great things, ground enclosure and ongoing improvements are brilliant, the charity and community work is something to be very proud of, the social media stuff is great, mostly every fan has on something from candy merch, in the highest league in a long time and still in 2 cups. I think if candy stay in the league, which i think will happen then the season will be a success. I think just staying in the league and going on from there is a realistic target.

In the cold light of day I would probably need to agree with you on many of your points .

I looked at the stats and it made for grim reading

We have played 9 matches against the top 7 and it reads

1 win ,1 draw and 7 defeats and in those games we have received 7 red cards and in 5 of those games we were in front until we had a player / players sent off .

So reading that does suggest we have an issue with discipline and this has caused us to have such a poor points return against the chasing pack ( 4 pts from 27 ).

How do we deal with it

The only way can be fines cos of you hit a player were it hurts ie the pocket then maybe the penny will drop .

I think we will stay up and it will rightly be regarded a success but deep down I will look at the season with regret and a sense of we really should have been in the mix for promotion if only we were more disciplined in our behaviour and game management .

Guys

Fining people for getting bookings etc seems like an obvious option but not something I have ever been a fan of.

My reasons are that I do not feel that it it would have the needed impact or in fact fair.

In any dressing room most guys are working and have decent wages - a £10 fine is not really going to have any real effect. However if you have an unemployed lad then a £10 fine might be a sore one for him.

The only "punishment" that can be applied is if they get a suspension and someone comes in and takes their jersey they loose their place in the team.

I actually thought that both second yellows could have been avoided yesterday but equally that they did not need to be given. Daw had been yellow carded for tackling boy - he then takes a bad challenge and says to ref " am I the only (expletive) that gets booked on this park - second yellow - I honestly think the ref at point of second yellow did not realise he had already been booked - he won't admit that though. So pur Captain off after 35 minutes. 

Starkey received second yellow for time wasting and first for kicking ball away. He has said he asked ref if it was ok to tie his trousers the ref said he did not.  So goalie sent off after 85 mins - could the ref have spoke to him and added on time?

For both of these incidents I suppose letter of law says - swear at ref is yellow card, time wasting is yellow card - so we cannot complain. Yes Red cards have cost us this season - we also had goalie sent off in defeat to Craigmark and a red card in Girvin game which we were lucky to win.

So yes red cards are costing us and many of them are avoidable 

Guys
Fining people for getting bookings etc seems like an obvious option but not something I have ever been a fan of.
My reasons are that I do not feel that it it would have the needed impact or in fact fair.
In any dressing room most guys are working and have decent wages - a £10 fine is not really going to have any real effect. However if you have an unemployed lad then a £10 fine might be a sore one for him.
The only "punishment" that can be applied is if they get a suspension and someone comes in and takes their jersey they loose their place in the team.
I actually thought that both second yellows could have been avoided yesterday but equally that they did not need to be given. Daw had been yellow carded for tackling boy - he then takes a bad challenge and says to ref " am I the only (expletive) that gets booked on this park - second yellow - I honestly think the ref at point of second yellow did not realise he had already been booked - he won't admit that though. So pur Captain off after 35 minutes. 
Starkey received second yellow for time wasting and first for kicking ball away. He has said he asked ref if it was ok to tie his trousers the ref said he did not.  So goalie sent off after 85 mins - could the ref have spoke to him and added on time?
 For both of these incidents I suppose letter of law says - swear at ref is yellow card, time wasting is yellow card - so we cannot complain. Yes Red cards have cost us this season - we also had goalie sent off in defeat to Craigmark and a red card in Girvin game which we were lucky to win.
So yes red cards are costing us and many of them are avoidable 
I can understand the thinking behind that but with 10 red cards if you include cup games then we would have to admit that policy is not working either .
I guess as someone previous said it's really down now to the players to accept that there must be an improvement with discipline as it's effectively costing us points .