St Roch"s 2018/19

21stcenturyboy

7 hours ago, Viewparker said:

St Rochs won the senior Scottish Schools Shield in 1979. 

The shield is one of the oldest trophies in football dating back to 1904. 

1979 you say.

So anybody playing that day for St Roch’s that went on to play professional football at the top level would be pretty famous 10 years later.

Famous Scottish footballer in 1989 that had played for St Roch’s School team?

It’s no Graeme Mitchell.

Clarification regarding last time St Roch’s went beyond Christmas still in the Junior Cup.  Just to clear up any confusion.

2011/2012 October 1st Round 1 Bye

October 31 home Bankfoot Athletic 4-0

November 26 away Fraserburgh 4-2

January 21 away Girvan 4-2

Febuary 18 away Auchinleck Talbot 0-5

Clarification regarding last time St Roch’s went beyond Christmas still in the Junior Cup.  Just to clear up any confusion.
2011/2012 October 1st Round 1 Bye
October 31 home Bankfoot Athletic 4-0
November 26 away Fraserburgh 4-2
January 21 away Girvan 4-2
Febuary 18 away Auchinleck Talbot 0-5
This is only the second time in 45 years that we have progressed into the junior cup after Xmas .
The old order is falling 🤫

4 hours ago, Viewparker said:

Whitehill Secondary won it in 1912 but I’m not sure of the status of schools before the 1944 Education Act that used the terms senior and junior secondary. If it’s after 1945 then it’s Falkirk HS. 

There’s a debate to be had on that story but it’s not for a football forum. Long before Brian Clough said at Leeds Utd “ throw all your cups and medals in the bin” my old man said something similar in relation to his schoolboy football career. In the final days before D Day my old man was stationed at Plymouth docks when an Naval officer approached, “Here Jock, you played for the Mungo school about 10 years ago” Aye that’s right enough, good team, “Yes says the officer, i was the Bellahouston goalkeeper when you beat us 14-0, what did you do after leaving school?” My old man innocently answered, Aye i went to work in High St goods yard, played a bit of Junior football and then got called up for the forces, what did you do after school? Says the old man. And the officer answered “I went on to study medicine at Glasgow University”.

Throw all your cups and medals in the bin, right enough.

Edited by Glenconner

Comfortable win for the Candy against to me, what looked like a glorified 21s team, can see how Kello have struggled and they were very lucky to be level at half-time. Jordan Logan impressed me and deserved his goal after a few near misses. Will be back for the cup game, decent punters and setup at JMP.

Edited by Firhill_Basin

Comfortable win for the Candy against to me, what looked like a glorified 21s team, can see how Kello have struggled and they were very lucky to be level at half-time. Jordan Logan impressed me and deserved his goal after a few near misses. Will be back for the cup game, decent punters and setup at JMP.
Thank you for the compliments. We try our best up at JMP. welcome anytime.

We are pleased to have you and hope you will join us when you have a free Saturday

• 3 weeks later...

My dad got out of hospital on Thursday and a free Saturday allowed me the joy of taking him back to James McGrory Park. We left deservedly defeated by a good Kilsyth team but I thought both teams did well in bad conditions. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

Like 2 wise men looking for the third we follow the star of the Roch and arrive bearing gifts of gold (£9 charge and with a tenner handed over and 1 gold £ of change returned, Frankie&Benny’s in our belly rather than frankincense and plenty of mhyrr-th... you’ve got to laugh at life and laugh in football ...
Wisemen and a virgin can be difficult to find at the best of times but there are contenders at the Candy... at least for the wisemen! I speak to a few and as snow frames manage a Christmas Card image, the Candy Christmas fixture is polluted by our usual footballing weather...”annus pluvious pishus” you may hear at 3pm on Christmas Day. The auld man returns from a 6 week jolly up in the QE infirmary and he looks shakier than the poor donkey carrying a pregnant Mary and a huge bag of presents Joseph has made in his woodwork workshop. He adorns himself in the clubhouse and I go speaking to the wise men. The Candy are hot and cold I’m told but a mid table position could be worse. Coffee consumed I head over to the 2 new stables behind the Candy DugOot Inn. One is full of blue hatted banterists and they cheer their opener which sees a Candy defender lying in his back looking up like he baby jesus and our keeper agog at the wonder of the free headed majesty. One down early doors and overplaying in bad conditions and coming slipperily unstuck. Conditions are poor but a good free kick delivery sees the Candy cash in on zero marking and a headed equaliser sees us into the break all square.

The second half is nip and tuck and the big impressive 9 for KR almost KOs is twice, as does the 6 both missing when a goal looked certain. A bad tackle gets a 2nd yellow and KR are down to 10. I defend the ref to a group of Kilsyth fans who are calling Hanlon all sorts, cheat being the favourite. A foul is a foul even if you don’t like the victim I say... an old scribing hack with a blue bonnet and a notepad beside me thinks I am doubting myself now. Doubting Thomas was 33 years after this Christmas nativity and rebirth of my junior football year. I leave this stable shed and head for the unstable shed at the other side of the dug out.... it’s like a Jamaican street market with the sounds and smells to match. Some great shouts and banter bite my ears as my nose is bitten by other things. One classic line of attack to their big bald towering strength number 4 who was mud splattered and loving it(big dirty defenders love being big and dirty! He played great) was “we have turned the showers aff big man”... the irony of a later shout to a diminutive defender by a Smoker of sultry wares “haw you, away an git yer script ya junky pr*ck” was not lost on me! Oh how I have missed it! I have been on a diet of good food mostly this season but my first Candy rush in months left me on a sugar high. Even the 10 man break away winner and the fruitless Candy last 10 minute kitchen sink throwing didn’t leave me low. It felt Festive and I felt something being back there yesterday. Everyone loves to comes home for Christmas and bringing my dad back for the first time in months and being in amongst it again and the familiarity of fun and friends and ultimate failure meant I was full of the spirit of the Candy and the glow of the game. This has been a marvellous year for the Candy and their fans. I would like to thank the staff and players and the fans for making it joyous for me.

Wishing you all the best wishes for Christmas and a fabulous football 2019. Candy fans, players and staff and fans of every other team. A Football Foe is just a mate you disagree with... we are all in it together and at this time of year it fills my heart to still be in love with football. Don’t underestimate it... The power of love, a force from above, cleaning my soccer soul.

Mon the Santa! [emoji318]
MTC! [emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]IMG_3015.jpgIMG_3023.jpgIMG_3024.jpg

22 hours ago, Kinky Afro said:

My dad got out of hospital on Thursday and a free Saturday allowed me the joy of taking him back to James McGrory Park. We left deservedly defeated by a good Kilsyth team but I thought both teams did well in bad conditions. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

Like 2 wise men looking for the third we follow the star of the Roch and arrive bearing gifts of gold (£9 charge and with a tenner handed over and 1 gold £ of change returned, Frankie&Benny’s in our belly rather than frankincense and plenty of mhyrr-th... you’ve got to laugh at life and laugh in football ...
Wisemen and a virgin can be difficult to find at the best of times but there are contenders at the Candy... at least for the wisemen! I speak to a few and as snow frames manage a Christmas Card image, the Candy Christmas fixture is polluted by our usual footballing weather...”annus pluvious pishus” you may hear at 3pm on Christmas Day. The auld man returns from a 6 week jolly up in the QE infirmary and he looks shakier than the poor donkey carrying a pregnant Mary and a huge bag of presents Joseph has made in his woodwork workshop. He adorns himself in the clubhouse and I go speaking to the wise men. The Candy are hot and cold I’m told but a mid table position could be worse. Coffee consumed I head over to the 2 new stables behind the Candy DugOot Inn. One is full of blue hatted banterists and they cheer their opener which sees a Candy defender lying in his back looking up like he baby jesus and our keeper agog at the wonder of the free headed majesty. One down early doors and overplaying in bad conditions and coming slipperily unstuck. Conditions are poor but a good free kick delivery sees the Candy cash in on zero marking and a headed equaliser sees us into the break all square.

The second half is nip and tuck and the big impressive 9 for KR almost KOs is twice, as does the 6 both missing when a goal looked certain. A bad tackle gets a 2nd yellow and KR are down to 10. I defend the ref to a group of Kilsyth fans who are calling Hanlon all sorts, cheat being the favourite. A foul is a foul even if you don’t like the victim I say... an old scribing hack with a blue bonnet and a notepad beside me thinks I am doubting myself now. Doubting Thomas was 33 years after this Christmas nativity and rebirth of my junior football year. I leave this stable shed and head for the unstable shed at the other side of the dug out.... it’s like a Jamaican street market with the sounds and smells to match. Some great shouts and banter bite my ears as my nose is bitten by other things. One classic line of attack to their big bald towering strength number 4 who was mud splattered and loving it(big dirty defenders love being big and dirty! He played great) was “we have turned the showers aff big man”... the irony of a later shout to a diminutive defender by a Smoker of sultry wares “haw you, away an git yer script ya junky pr*ck” was not lost on me! Oh how I have missed it! I have been on a diet of good food mostly this season but my first Candy rush in months left me on a sugar high. Even the 10 man break away winner and the fruitless Candy last 10 minute kitchen sink throwing didn’t leave me low. It felt Festive and I felt something being back there yesterday. Everyone loves to comes home for Christmas and bringing my dad back for the first time in months and being in amongst it again and the familiarity of fun and friends and ultimate failure meant I was full of the spirit of the Candy and the glow of the game. This has been a marvellous year for the Candy and their fans. I would like to thank the staff and players and the fans for making it joyous for me.

Wishing you all the best wishes for Christmas and a fabulous football 2019. Candy fans, players and staff and fans of every other team. A Football Foe is just a mate you disagree with... we are all in it together and at this time of year it fills my heart to still be in love with football. Don’t underestimate it... The power of love, a force from above, cleaning my soccer soul.

Mon the Santa! emoji318.png
MTC! emoji460.pngemoji172.pngemoji106.pngIMG_3015.jpgIMG_3023.jpgIMG_3024.jpg

I'm in the middle one, where's my fee?

On 23/12/2018 at 15:21, Kinky Afro said:

Mon the Santa! emoji318.png
MTC! emoji460.pngemoji172.pngemoji106.pngIMG_3015.jpgIMG_3023.jpgIMG_3024.jpg

As the 'scribbling old scribe' who made you doubt your own judgement regarding the tackle that resulted in a 2nd yellow card for Phil Dolan I was going to engage you in further conversation a litle later but you had moved away. Phil has a bit of a track record of losing his cool at times but is a great player who can be a match winner when he is on his game.  I think we were lucky to survive the onslaught of the last few minutes but full marks to our defence and especially the 'big no4' who has been the subject of admiring comments elsewhere, but everyone deserves praise. My only regret aboutb the game is that Salim (no9) did not score to make it eleven games in a row. I thought perhaps he might try for an OG near the end to maintain his run.

I always enjoy my visits to Garngad, the first would be sometime back in the 1950's probably but for a very long time we had very few  being in different league sections. There was a topic on this thread a little earlier re Scottish schools cup which  St Rochs won in 1979. A former player of ours, John Donnachie, whose 1st junior club was St Rochs also won it with St Mungos' school of Coatbridge in 1961. He also has a Scottish junior cup medal from 1967 with Kilsyth, both finals played at Hampden. Not saying this is a unique achievement, probably not, but still worthy of comment.

St Mungos have probably an unmatched record in this competition however, winners 9 times, finalists another 7 and semis 8.  Another player we got from the Roch was Walter Lees , capped for junior Scotland (as was John D) who went to Watford so we have good reason to be grateful to them. What can you tell me about our no 8 on saturday who I believe is a former St Rochs player?

Hope you can consolidate your place in the superleague this year as  there is a good buzz about the club nowadays and big improvements in the ground. May or may not be visiting you next season as I still believe we have a good chance of bagging one of the promotion places, we shall see. 

Can I take this opportunity to wish everyone associated with the club, near and far, and to the wider Junior family all the very best today.

In particular, to the fans of St Roch's FC who are there week in week out. This year the guys have shown great commitment to the team and to the club. The recent toy appeal and taking it into their own hands to build THREE enclosures at the ground is a mark of how unique our fans are and how important you are to the club.

On match days you give us great backing and definitely keep me on my toes. :)

This year we were promoted to the second tier for the first time in about 50 years and have had an up and down start to life in the Championship. With the support of everyone at the club we will be able to push on again but it won't be easy.

I will do all I can to keep improving us on the park and on behalf of myself, the staff, the committee and the players I wish you all a happy Christmas 

Mon The Candy

Andy

As the 'scribbling old scribe' who made you doubt your own judgement regarding the tackle that resulted in a 2nd yellow card for Phil Dolan I was going to engage you in further conversation a litle later but you had moved away. Phil has a bit of a track record of losing his cool at times but is a great player who can be a match winner when he is on his game.  I think we were lucky to survive the onslaught of the last few minutes but full marks to our defence and especially the 'big no4' who has been the subject of admiring comments elsewhere, but everyone deserves praise. My only regret aboutb the game is that Salim (no9) did not score to make it eleven games in a row. I thought perhaps he might try for an OG near the end to maintain his run.
I always enjoy my visits to Garngad, the first would be sometime back in the 1950's probably but for a very long time we had very few  being in different league sections. There was a topic on this thread a little earlier re Scottish schools cup which  St Rochs won in 1979. A former player of ours, John Donnachie, whose 1st junior club was St Rochs also won it with St Mungos' school of Coatbridge in 1961. He also has a Scottish junior cup medal from 1967 with Kilsyth, both finals played at Hampden. Not saying this is a unique achievement, probably not, but still worthy of comment.
St Mungos have probably an unmatched record in this competition however, winners 9 times, finalists another 7 and semis 8.  Another player we got from the Roch was Walter Lees , capped for junior Scotland (as was John D) who went to Watford so we have good reason to be grateful to them. What can you tell me about our no 8 on saturday who I believe is a former St Rochs player?
Hope you can consolidate your place in the superleague this year as  there is a good buzz about the club nowadays and big improvements in the ground. May or may not be visiting you next season as I still believe we have a good chance of bagging one of the promotion places, we shall see. 
Reece Glackin ( KR number 8 ) is indeed a former candy player who was part of our promotion winning side last season
I believe we had signed him from Albion rovers
He left the candy mid November by mutual consent after struggling to hold down a first time place .

• 2 weeks later...

1-0 up and abso cruising today. As soon as the ref spoke to Tierney and booked him right after you knew what kinda ref he was.

Daw, already on a booking, gets awarded a free kick, the ref has actually agreed with him it was a foul against him and gives him the free kick but he ran his mouth and got a second yellow and off. 10 men with about an hour to go.

Then to make things worse Starky sent off for time wasting with no sub keeper on the bench and left the team even more out to dry. As much as the ref was poor, and he was poor, why are they putting themselves in these positions to give him the opportunity to send them off or book them ? Its stupidity. How many reds is that this season for Starky ?? ...4 ? ...5 ? When you count how many games he has actually started when not been injured or banned its mental. Good shot stopper on his day there is no doubt about that but i think now the bad points are outweighing the good points with him. I do not only blame Starky for the defeat today, not at all. Just looking at it overall.

The ref was not the greatest today by any means but this is not a one off. The discipline has been really poor and daft reds are very common. That ref today was not to blame for all them. I think its time not to blame refs and players should take some responsibility.

1-0 up and abso cruising today. As soon as the ref spoke to Tierney and booked him right after you knew what kinda ref he was.

Daw, already on a booking, gets awarded a free kick, the ref has actually agreed with him it was a foul against him and gives him the free kick but he ran his mouth and got a second yellow and off. 10 men with about an hour to go.

Then to make things worse Starky sent off for time wasting with no sub keeper on the bench and left the team even more out to dry. As much as the ref was poor, and he was poor, why are they putting themselves in these positions to give him the opportunity to send them off or book them ? Its stupidity. How many reds is that this season for Starky ?? ...4 ? ...5 ? When you count how many games he has actually started when not been injured or banned its mental. Good shot stopper on his day there is no doubt about that but i think now the bad points are outweighing the good points with him. I do not only blame Starky for the defeat today, not at all. Just looking at it overall.

The ref was not the greatest today by any means but this is not a one off. The discipline has been really poor and daft reds are very common. That ref today was not to blame for all them. I think its time not to blame refs and players should take some responsibility.
Complete disagree but well done Benburb