Argentina vs Iceland

jagfox

2 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Please explain to me in even the slightest of detail how Messi VS Ronaldo is anything like Rangers VS Celtic?

One is a different class from the other. I thought it would have been obvious.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

If Messi had played as a team player they’d have won that. Poor individual performance leaves them a lot to do against Croatia.

While Messi was obviously piss poor today, I'm unsure that's the problem in general. Argentina's dependence on Messi isn't a consequence of Messi refusing to be a team player, it's a consequence of the way Sampaoli has set the team up.

Aside from the Ronaldo v Messi debate/trollfest, contrast Santos' organisation of Portugal against Sampaoli's management of Argentina. Santos has one of the two best players in the world at his disposal but he doesn't try to build the team round him; he plays to the strengths of the defence and midfield as a whole, trusting that the star player will deliver within the framework of the team, and Ronaldo does to a ridiculously high standard because he's so fucking good.

Sampaoli has one of the two best players in the world and makes no attempt to set up his side to the strengths of the rest of the players, instead basing everything around Messi and the quality attackers around him in the hope their individual brilliance will make up for frailties of the defence and midfield. This allows teams to double on Messi and entirely nullify Argentina, as you saw today when every single time an Argentina player was in space they were looking for the pass to Messi over far more obvious passes no matter how crowded out he was, because they've been taught to be dependent on him.

This isn't just bad for Argentina or their other forwards whose considerable talent is wasted, it's bad for Messi because it guarantees that he'll get no space and he has no opportunity to do anything at all from open play, only ever picking up the ball with two players right beside him or with two banks of four in front of him. Sampaoli's determination to depend on Messi is what's wasting him and ruining Argentina's chances.

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

While Messi was obviously piss poor today, I'm unsure that's the problem in general. Argentina's dependence on Messi isn't a consequence of Messi refusing to be a team player, it's a consequence of the way Sampaoli has set the team up.

Aside from the Ronaldo v Messi debate/trollfest, contrast Santos' organisation of Portugal against Sampaoli's management of Argentina. Santos has one of the two best players in the world at his disposal but he doesn't try to build the team round him; he plays to the strengths of the defence and midfield as a whole, trusting that the star player will deliver within the framework of the team, and Ronaldo does to a ridiculously high standard because he's so fucking good.

Sampaoli has one of the two best players in the world and makes no attempt to set up his side to the strengths of the rest of the players, instead basing everything around Messi and the quality attackers around him in the hope their individual brilliance will make up for frailties of the defence and midfield. This allows teams to double on Messi and entirely nullify Argentina, as you saw today when every single time an Argentina player was in space they were looking for the pass to Messi over far more obvious passes no matter how crowded out he was, because they've been taught to be dependent on him.

This isn't just bad for Argentina or their other forwards whose considerable talent is wasted, it's bad for Messi because it guarantees that he'll get no space and he has no opportunity to do anything at all from open play, only ever picking up the ball with two players right beside him or with two banks of four in front of him. Sampaoli's determination to depend on Messi is what's wasting him and ruining Argentina's chances.

What an excellent assessment. 

That wee c**t messi cost me my coupon. He’s not the best in the world anyway, and today proved that. He’s fucking pish.

I wouldn't go that far, but I feel your pain brother, my line today was fucked by the wee shite as well!!!

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Therefore

Curtis Main > Messi

No problem with this logic whatsoever. 

I can't imagine Messi in that Motherwell side either. 

As a reminder, Scotland have won all 6 games they've played against Iceland Ergo, Scotland >>> Argentina. Also, on holiday in Greece circa 1985, I scored a penalty against a lad from Iceland. I'm just going to leave that there.

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

As a reminder, Scotland have won all 6 games they've played against Iceland Ergo, Scotland >>> Argentina. Also, on holiday in Greece circa 1985, I scored a penalty against a lad from Iceland. I'm just going to leave that there.

Feck knows why Stewart McKimmie was #3.

Iceland are shit to watch.

Don’t get this snobbery.

Of course they’re not brilliant to watch have you had a look at that teamsheet?!

I love seeing a team that look individually so pish achieve amazing things as a team.

Maybe in the minority but especially first half I really enjoyed watching Iceland. The lesser entertainment of the second half I put down to Argentinas ineptitude and almost comedy obsession with world class players passing to Messi like at school when one of your mates was miles better than the rest.

Watching a team like Iceland show zero respect and getting in the faces of superstars like in the Argentina team is joyful to watch for me. Specially when they all have proper viking names and look like they would wield an axe with great skill

I think there's more to Iceland than shitfesting. They created chances and played some decent football at times. You can watch games were the defending team make a game utterly boring to watch but this game was entertaining even if there wasn't much in the way of spectacular football.

Iceland are shit to watch.

Quite enjoyed watching them yesterday tbh.

Don’t get this snobbery.

Of course they’re not brilliant to watch have you had a look at that teamsheet?!

I love seeing a team that look individually so pish achieve amazing things as a team.

This.

Watching a team like Iceland show zero respect and getting in the faces of superstars like in the Argentina team is joyful to watch for me. Specially when they all have proper viking names and look like they would wield an axe with great skill

Except they nearly all look about 17 and would struggle to lift an axe.

Iceland are obviously limited but I can't fathom someone who didn't find that performance utterly compelling for the sheer endeavour, organisation and physicality of it. 

This.

Archived