Things Americans Do

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/06/2018 at 08:36, 19QOS19 said:
On 15/06/2018 at 00:05, tamthebam said:
Make rugby into an even worse game that it was
Get confused by buses
Elect an even worse republican president than the  one before. Since the war they've had:
Ike, then a crook, then an ex-American football player, then a senile actor, then a guy who threw up in Japan, then his moronic son, ,then another crook.  

American football isn't even remotely close to being like rugby.

Apart from being played with the same shaped ball, allowing running with the ball, getting points for getting the ball over the end line, points for kicking the ball over a bar and between posts, tackling by hauling opponents down and restarting play by having the big lads line up face to face, it is completely different. As dissimilar as sailing and cricket.

23 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

List their match fixtures the wrong way round.

For example:

Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Falkirk
Alloa Athletic at Ross County
Rangers at Aberdeen
St Johnstone at Kilmarnock

I'm still a bit confused, could you give some more examples?

Apart from being played with the same shaped ball, allowing running with the ball, getting points for getting the ball over the end line, points for kicking the ball over a bar and between posts, tackling by hauling opponents down and restarting play by having the big lads line up face to face, it is completely different. As dissimilar as sailing and cricket.
"Same shaped ball" - so tennis and hockey are the same?

"Running with the ball" - that's like saying cricket and baseball are the same because you can throw the ball.

"Points for getting the ball over the end line" - netball and basketball are the same because they have to get it through a hoop?

"Points for kicking a ball over a bar and between the posts" - add Aussie rules football and Hurling to the sports the same as Rugby then?

"Tackling by hauling opponents down" - the same way Judo and American Wrestling is the same.

"Restarting play by having the big lads line up face to face" - A scrum and a line-up are again not even remotely similar apart from the fact they are facing each other.

Anyone who genuinely believes the sports are similar has clearly never watched both games in full.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Running with the ball" - that's like saying cricket and baseball are the same because you can throw the ball.

"Points for getting the ball over the end line" - netball and basketball are the same because they have to get it through a hoop?

"Points for kicking a ball over a bar and between the posts" - add Aussie rules football and Hurling to the sports the same as Rugby then?

"Tackling by hauling opponents down" - the same way Judo and American Wrestling is the same.

"Restarting play by having the big lads line up face to face" - A scrum and a line-up are again not even remotely similar apart from the fact they are facing each other.

Anyone who genuinely believes the sports are similar has clearly never watched both games in full.

You're forgetting one other crucial similarity. They're both utter shite liked exclusively by crushingly boring people in this country.

You're forgetting one other crucial similarity. They're both utter shite liked exclusively by crushingly boring people in this country.
A don't watch rugby apart from some of the 6 Nations. It's not my favourite sport but I wouldn't class it as shite, I can see why people enjoy it. I enjoy American Football since I've started to understand it. I tend to find folk who slate it have never sat down and bothered to do this so instantly dismiss it as shite.

Golf I find utterly eye bleeding to watch but again it has a big following so I'd be a moron to class it "shite".

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You’ll be trying to tell me that baseball is different from rounders next.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

A don't watch rugby apart from some of the 6 Nations. It's not my favourite sport but I wouldn't class it as shite, I can see why people enjoy it. I enjoy American Football since I've started to understand it. I tend to find folk who slate it have never sat down and bothered to do this so instantly dismiss it as shite.

It's shite.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm still a bit confused, could you give some more examples?

Second World War

Germany at Poland
Germany at Netherlands, Belgium and France
Germany at Denmark and Norway

Japan at Pearl Harbor

Allies at Normandy

Russians at Berlin

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Second World War

Germany at Poland
Germany at Netherlands, Belgium and France
Germany at Denmark and Norway

Japan at Pearl Harbor

Allies at Normandy

Russians at Berlin

Got you now.

Going back to the football, they'd probably say "Glaz-gow Black Sox at Aberdeen Highlanders."

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

well, my answer was going to be more succinct "boring, played with an oval ball, by cnuts". 

Archived