Blackburn United News 2018/19

4 minutes ago, TheLad said:

Looking forward to this. Currently a neutral, but with Blackburn now my local senior team, I'm open to being converted!
With both teams rattling in the goals, should be a cracker.

Hopefully you enjoy it so much, by ft your looking to buy a season ticket :thumsup2

1 hour ago, Halfwit8 said:

What's happened to the match report this week ?

Last I saw the boy who normally writes them is away drinking in a  FC Union Berlin game.

Fwiw I was at the game and thought it was a really good football match with the result up for grabs till Tranent scored their 3rd with 12 minutes left. Black's goal was a bit special with a clearance to near the halfway line being returned with interest. Overall Tranent deserved the win but the margin flattered them.  Blackburn competed well especially first half where the Tranent equaliser was a throwback to the 1950s with the goalie absolutely clattered, the referee bringing play back for a booking with the Blackburn striker through on goals and a great chance spurned firing over from a great position. Blackburn had  abig shout for a penalty in the second half but Tranent were getting stronger throughout and Blackburn needed the goalie and defence working hard to keep them in it.

After the League Cup matches I'd say it makes Conference B look even more like the toughest of the 3 with Crossgates, Dalkeith and Tranent all performing very well and a definite threat to the supposed top teams.

1 hour ago, PastyMan said:

Last I saw the boy who normally writes them is away drinking in a  FC Union Berlin game.

Fwiw I was at the game and thought it was a really good football match with the result up for grabs till Tranent scored their 3rd with 12 minutes left. Black's goal was a bit special with a clearance to near the halfway line being returned with interest. Overall Tranent deserved the win but the margin flattered them.  Blackburn competed well especially first half where the Tranent equaliser was a throwback to the 1950s with the goalie absolutely clattered, the referee bringing play back for a booking with the Blackburn striker through on goals and a great chance spurned firing over from a great position. Blackburn had  abig shout for a penalty in the second half but Tranent were getting stronger throughout and Blackburn needed the goalie and defence working hard to keep them in it.

After the League Cup matches I'd say it makes Conference B look even more like the toughest of the 3 with Crossgates, Dalkeith and Tranent all performing very well and a definite threat to the supposed top teams.

That's a very fair summary, last 15 minutes killed us but we move on and forward,  thanks 

That's a very fair summary, last 15 minutes killed us but we move on and forward,  thanks 

Very fair summary indeed. I think the disappointing thing for me was the heads of the Blackburn players went down after the 3rd Tranent goal. A steep learning curve for a young Blackburn side who matched Tranent for 75mins.

Referee was shocking for both sides. Blatant foul on the keeper for Tranent first goal. Ref booked Ian black for a tackle and then 10mins later let a Blackburn player away with the same thing.

Tranent will definitely be up there in their conference this season.

It's become all too much of a default position to blame referees when things go wrong, but the whistler on Saturday did seem to upset both sides with some pretty poor decision making. It has to be said though that, for all he got things wrong from a Tranent perspective as well as a Blackburn one, the real game changing decisions all went against the hosts. The equalising goal for Tranent should simply never have stood. The goalscorer quite blatantly barged into the back of the young Blackburn goalkeeper on his way to heading the ball and it was quite as flagrant a foul as you're likely to see.  It seemed to me that even some of the Tranent players were a bit surprised that the goal was given.

Next, Ian Black was booked for a bit of a reckless body check on the player who'd scored Blackburn's goal as he tried to find space in the middle of the park. As a result the ball broke to the Blackburn striker who was clean through on goal but the referee chose to bring play to a halt to brandish the yellow card. The advantage rule really had to be applied and if he deemed a booking necessary for Black then he could have dished out that punishment when the ball was dead. Another glaringly poor decision.

Lastly, although maybe not quite as clear cut, Blackburn looked as though they should have had a penalty when still only a goal behind when one of their midfielders broke into the box and was brought crashing to the ground by a sliding tackle that, to me, didn't get any of the ball.

As Budgie Smuggler said, Tranent looked as though they will be a real handful for most teams and will surely compete close to the very top of Conference B - Ian Black is a stick out at this level, as he should be! - and I think the better team won, although undoubtedly by a flattering margin. Blackburn too, but for throwing too much at it in the last quarter of an hour to leave themselves overexposed, look to have some handy players and should be in and around the battle for a 5th/6th place finish in Conference C that will ensure Tier 6 football again next season.

Edited by 12 Angry Men

Not sure where to start with yesterdays game, a game in which we largely dominated, created numerous chances particularly second half, but managed to give away three penalties with some keystone cop defending which handed Easthouses the game.  Not sure I've ever seen a hattrick of penalties either.

13 minutes ago, pie n beans said:

I thought Blackburn 20s were playing Tranent tonight but i cant see it on the website fixture.

We had to withdraw sadly, as did Gala Fairydean, there's a thread in the Lowland forum about it.  Hopefully enter next season.

Fantastic gesture from one of our age group coaches. Competitively we might not yet be where we want to be as a club, but those involved in what we are doing at the moment are already better than we could have hoped for them to be.
IMG_4438.jpg

• 2 weeks later...