118th U.S. Open Championship

Davis Love III

Who is going to win the 118th U.S. Open?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to win the 118th U.S. Open?

• Dustin Johnson
    • Rory McIlroy
    • Justin Rose
    • Justin Thomas
    • Jason Day
    • Jordan Spieth
    • Rickie Fowler
    • Jon Rahm
    • Brooks Koepka
    • Tiger Woods
    • Phil Mickelson
    • Henrik Stenson
    • Bryson DeChambeau
    • Tommy Fleetwood
    • OTHER PLAYER
  2. 2. Which former U.S. Open champions will make the cut?

• Brooks Koepka (2017)
    • Dustin Johnson (2016)
    • Jordan Spieth (2015)
    • Martin Kaymer (2013)
    • Webb Simpson (2012)
    • Rory McIlroy (2011)
    • Graeme McDowell (2010)
    • Lucas Glover (2009)
    • Tiger Woods (2000/2002/2008)
    • Jim Furyk (2003)
    • Ernie Els (1994/1997)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/06/18 at 15:30

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mickelson getting some real criticism from some big names in the game. He`s trying to claim that he wanted to withdraw but the the USGA wouldn`t let him. Frankly that`s pish.  Had he chosen to, Brooks Koepka could have withdrawn on the 18th green tonight and nobody could have stopped him.  Really poor stuff from Mickelson, a fine reputation  tarnished.  Curtis Strange summed it up beautifully when he said that if his son had done that he would have confiscated his clubs. He seemed aghast that any pro could deliberately do what Mickelson did, never mind someone of Mickelson`s standing. A real low point in a great career.

That's almost as big a heads gone from Phil as the original shot that he was penalised for. How can they stop him withdrawing? Force him to play at gunpoint?

At least Koepka tried something a bit different and played in Europe before earning his US tour card.
Michael McEwan from Bunkered magazine tweeted this last night..

"Five years ago this week, Brooks Koepka beat Ben An, Andrea Pavan, Steven Tiley & Sam Walker to win the Scottish Hydro Challenge at Spey Valley.

Since then:

2x Japan Tour wins
1x European Tour wins
1x PGA Tour wins
1x Ryder Cup win
1x Presidents Cup win
Probably 2x US Open wins"

Koepka deserves that - not many people have gone back to back at the US Open, Curtis Strange being the last in 88 and 89.
Bit gutted for Fleetwood, but can see him winning a Major soon, and very probably a US Open - his game seems suited to them.
Quick check shows Willie Anderson has 3 in a row, and Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Strange and now Koepka have gone back to back. Pretty good company there.

Sky checked that for you [emoji6]

Trying to think of a comparable player in terms of profile who's won two majors but I couldn't tell you a single thing about. 

Andy North's that man.

Curtis Strange was a high profile player in the 1980s. Surprising he didn't win more majors.

1 minute ago, printer said:

Mickelson has a fine reputation?
emoji848.png

To clarify I would suggest that there is a pretty widely held view that Mickelson is very well regarded as a professional golfer who "respects" the game. Whether that`s deserved or not is another matter. I`ve always liked him, fully accept others won`t.  

To clarify I would suggest that there is a pretty widely held view that Mickelson is very well regarded as a professional golfer who "respects" the game. Whether that`s deserved or not is another matter. I`ve always liked him, fully accept others won`t.  

I didn't realise that view was widely held. I don't follow the game as closely as I did in the past though.

I always remember a journalist's quote, "the jury's still out on his sincerity". That sums him up for me. Hanging Tom Watson out to dry after the Ryder Cup and his clear cheating in the US Open are in character for me.

Wonderful player though.

17 hours ago, printer said:

Andy North's that man.

Curtis Strange was a high profile player in the 1980s. Surprising he didn't win more majors.

Koepka also has a very consistent record in the other majors over the last few years. He's had several top tens without probably really being in contention to win, He looks like a player who when he gets to the front is highly unlikely to crack.

Archived