Wimbledon & Grass Court Season

lichtie23

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well done Novak, anything that annoys the Wimbledon establishment is alright with me. Would have been a great final. 
Yep, rather than the 3-0 drubbing we will probably get tomorrow after they carry Anderson back on to the court.

Delighr for Kerber yesterday but fully expect this years final to be as one sided as lasts although I don’t think Kevin Anderson will be reduced to tears during the match.

22 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Said it for years but I don't understand why play starts so late on the show courts. The first match started at 1 yesterday (although it's always a bit after that after the warm-ups). Isner v Anderson was always going to be at least 4 sets, mostly with tie-breakers. That's an hour per set. They should have been banking on at least 4 hours for that, potentially looking at 5 hours. That takes you to half 5/6 o'clock. Then a 20 minute break between games and potentially another 5 setter between two guys who are known for playing long points, being slow players and being evenly matched. Again, another 4-5 hour match should have been anticipated. That takes you to pretty much your 11 o'clock curfew even without anything remarkable happening. There could still be a another couple of hours of play in the match today. Which means that even if you'd had a tie-breaker yesterday you'd have struggled to fit the full second match in anyway.

In the end this is pretty much what happened, even if both matches had had tie-breakers in the fifth set they would have been struggling to fit both matches in before 11 pm.

In the end this is pretty much what happened, even if both matches had had tie-breakers in the fifth set they would have been struggling to fit both matches in before 11 pm.
The average match time at Wimbledon must have crept up a good bit over the years. Just had a look back and found that the 1980 final between Borg and McEnroe which went to 8-6 in the 5th only lasted 3 hrs 53 minutes. That was regarded as an epic back then but is a regular occurrence now.

I've always found cricket a strange one too in that they sometimes don't start until 11am then end up stopping for bad light at 7pm. Why not start at 10?

The average match time at Wimbledon must have crept up a good bit over the years. Just had a look back and found that the 1980 final between Borg and McEnroe which went to 8-6 in the 5th only lasted 3 hrs 53 minutes. That was regarded as an epic back then but is a regular occurrence now.

I've always found cricket a strange one too in that they sometimes don't start until 11am then end up stopping for bad light at 7pm. Why not start at 10?

Serve volley. Much shorter points

Grass much faster too

Guest Moomintroll

Because tradition, it gets even worse sometimes in parts of the sub continent as the light fades early but you cannot bring play forward due to the high dew levels making the ball too damp and leaving pitches unplayable.

Serve volley. Much shorter points
Grass much faster too

Undoubtedly, but it hasn't been taken into account with the scheduling. You could have put your house on Isner v Anderson going on for hours which was always going to leave it tight to fit in the second match.

Archived