West Region League 2 2018/19

No it was 10 men and then 9 men.  We were happy for the game to be postponed however the sjfa said the game must be played.  So whilst we felt really sorry for ardeer we had to still go out and do a job on them.

Don’t let numbers and facts get in the way when want to make a serious point. Haha

Still chasing

1 hour ago, Gowlad said:

No it was 10 men and then 9 men.  We were happy for the game to be postponed however the sjfa said the game must be played.  So whilst we felt really sorry for ardeer we had to still go out and do a job on them.

Was only ribbing you. You can only beat what is in front of you and I can't imagine it was pleasant at the time. I was getting uncomfortable yesterday as you don't like to see boys humiliated.

10 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Lot of football to be played. Let’s see who can see it through to the end of the season. Champions and the top 3 will deserve it as a long hard league never lies.

Still chasing.

.Agreed. We'd have happily taken promotion at the start of the season.If we falter and you don't then you will deserve it. No question.  I have enjoyed the fact that there has been no trash talk and no animosity.  Your manager has said some good stuff in the local paper. I had a good chat with him when he was over at one of our games. The main thing is we are both up. Would be good if Carluke could join us to keep the rivalries going.

15 hours ago, the candy said:

The league keeps getting better and better with the title race and promotion race going to the wire. We played really well today and got a good result against newmains however have one game left against a vale of clyde team who seem to be hitting form and playing really well, makings of a great game. Still outwith our control but one last push from our lads n who knows! Wat a division this is this season fair play to all

Try telling sneddon21 that lol.

1 hour ago, Gowlad said:

I don't understand what you mean by the poor start that gow and lanark had and what they went through to find their best teams.  Both teams have only lost 1 league game each this season.  Yes some of the teams are of poor standard I agree however theirs still a title and a promotion place to be  decided so it has been exciting.  You talk about one off cup games for goodness sake we got to the final so we must have been really lucky in 5 one off games.  Lanark had a good few results in cup and in the West of Scotland cup the gow beat junior cup finalists largs thistle.  So stop talking out your arse.  You're being very disrespectful to the league especially to lesmahagow and lanark.

Can only agree with this. All the teams we beat  in the cup have been doing well enough in their respective leagues and we thoroughly deserved to beat them all. We should have beaten Troon over there. Only Rossvale outplayed us on the plastic so we have taken a lot of confidence from those games. We have certainly upped our game against the better opposition.Our "poor start" was beat VoL ( promotion contenders), drew with The Gow ( possible champions) and lost to Ashfield ( promotion contenders). I don't think we have changed our squad that much. Our squad is very young ( apart from Haddow!). Forced into changing left back when Craig Stark had his leg broken at Newmains but, other than that we are largely the same core squad we started the season with.

Very subjective argument. We shall see what happens. If we can both consolidate next season in the higher league, I will take that.

16 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Can only agree with this. All the teams we beat  in the cup have been doing well enough in their respective leagues and we thoroughly deserved to beat them all. We should have beaten Troon over there. Only Rossvale outplayed us on the plastic so we have taken a lot of confidence from those games. We have certainly upped our game against the better opposition.Our "poor start" was beat VoL ( promotion contenders), drew with The Gow ( possible champions) and lost to Ashfield ( promotion contenders). I don't think we have changed our squad that much. Our squad is very young ( apart from Haddow!). Forced into changing left back when Craig Stark had his leg broken at Newmains but, other than that we are largely the same core squad we started the season with.

Very subjective argument. We shall see what happens. If we can both consolidate next season in the higher league, I will take that.

Just look at royal Albert bc.  They have had a brilliant season on basically no budget. No disrespect to them but gow and lanark can pay wages and/or transfer fees so I think both teams are quite capable of targeting another step up.  I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with consolidation in league 1 however I don't see why we shouldn't target promotion again.

10 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

What difference does that make ? Next you will be telling me over 25% of them were scored by Big McStay so they don’t count. You can only play against the team put out against you and the season shows the best teams. As previously stated, top 3, whoever they are, will deserve it.

Vale of Clyde v Ashfield is a massive game this weekend as is both our games for the run in.

Still chasing

I keep saying Ashfield I think they'll do it.

McBookie West Region Division 2

Ashfield 5 Newmains United 0 - Saturday 20/04/2019

An earlier Kick-Off today due to scheduling times with the Glasgow Tigers Speedway and in this regard we thank Newmains United for being accommodating at moving the Kick-Off to 12 Noon. The bright lunchtime sunshine greeted both teams onto the park and it was great to see a `guard of honour` for Ashfield stalwart Gordon Passmore, who retires at the end of Season,  from both teams and also the Ashfield Academy Kids.

The park was in reasonable form for the last game of the Season however was extremely hard and bumpy and the pitch will welcome a `close season` also. The `field were sporting their new strips sponsored by `Allied Mobility`and started brightly almost going ahead on the 3rd Minute when a whipped in cross from Dean Leverage was headed goal wards by Billy Stevenson only to see his effort brilliantly saved by the Newmains Keeper. The home side were knocking the ball about confidently and went ahead in the 9th Minute after a long through ball from Ciaran Friel caught out the United Defence with Graeme Hearton being first to react. The Ashfield striker still had a lot to do and lofted the ball over the advancing Keeper and just under the crossbar to put the `field 1-0 up. Ashfield 1 Newmains Utd 0 . An excellent start from the home side who were playing with a high tempo. Next up was a great move down the right with Paul McQuilken playing a lovely ball to Colin Leverage and the Ashfield Full back raced fully 30 yards before delivering a cross to the front post which was met by the onrushing Hearton however on this occasion it was the Newmains Keeper that blocked his effort and the ball was scrambled to safety. The visitors were unable to build up a head of steam however were dangerous and you could see why they had scored 7 goals in their last 2 games. However it was the home side that got the all important second on the half hour mark following a short corner. The ball was played out to Paul McQuilken who evaded one tackle before delivering a curling cross right into the box where John Gaynor bulleted a header into the back of the net to the delight of the home support. Ashfield 2 Newmains Utd 0. This was a massive goal for the `field and they almost added a third shortly after however Graeme Hearton miscued his shot wide. Referee Craven brought proceedings to a close with the home side knowing that the next goal was vital.

HT:- ASHFIELD 2 NEWMAINS UNITED 0

The Ashfield support did not have to worry about an anxious second half as within a couple of minutes the game was effectively over following a corner on the far side. Again a wonderful delivery from Paul McQuilken was brillliantly headed into the corner of the net by Mark McManus who simply cannot stop scoring at the moment. That was his fourth goal in four games for the Ashfield midfielder. Ashfield 3 Newmains United 0. Ashfield made a couple of substitutions after this bringing on Gordon Passmore and Lee Cochrane however the tide was still flowing towards the Newmains goal and in the 69th Minute Billy Stevenson was played through and as he knocked the ball round the Keeper was brought down with Referee Craven having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Billy dusted himself down and sent the Keeper the wrong way to put the `field 4-0 up. Ashfield 4 Newmains United 0. Shortly after the Newmains Keeper brought out an excellent save to deny Stevenson again however could do nothing with Ashfield`s fifth goal in the 79th minute. A cross from Alan Cairns to the back cross was met by Captain Ciaran Friel and as he headed across the goal, the ball was met by Graeme Hearton who headed into the empty net to complete the scoring. Ashfield 5 Newmains United 0. A very good performance from Ashfield and one which will give them confidence for a stern test next week at Vale of Clyde. It is still extremely tight between Vale of Leven, Vale of Clyde and Carluke Rovers with all to play for with the `field looking to secure the full three points next week.

FT:- ASHFIELD 5 NEWMAINS UNITED 0

Ashfield`s Team:- C Farquhar, C Leverage, D Leverage, A Amos, J Gaynor, C Friel, M McManus, P McQuilken, G Hearton, j Lynch, B Stevenson. Subs:- L Cochrane, G Passmore, A Cairns

DSC04619.JPG

Cracking night for a local derby v forth wanderers.  One of the teams (other than the gow) who I like to see do well.  No animosity towards them whatsoever, smashing bunch of guys on their committee who even though they keep getting targeted with vandalism at their ground keep on plugging away to do the best for their great wee club.   I dare say there may be a lanark presence at the game tonight.

1 hour ago, Gowlad said:

Cracking night for a local derby v forth wanderers.  One of the teams (other than the gow) who I like to see do well.  No animosity towards them whatsoever, smashing bunch of guys on their committee who even though they keep getting targeted with vandalism at their ground keep on plugging away to do the best for their great wee club.   I dare say there may be a lanark presence at the game tonight.

Not me. Just got to focus on ourselves. Hope it is a good game.

1 hour ago, Wee Albert said:

The Gow we’ll beaten tonight by a young Forth team, was expecting better from the Gow but apart from 15 minutes in the second half they were never in it.

Didnt recognise any of the Forth team young team very pacy could look good for next season 

Guy that got the hat trick was at UB used to be with Alloa under 19 team good player could play at a higher level in the juniors struggled to find his best posistion but looks very much a striker from this and not a winger

5 hours ago, bc57 said:

Impressive by Forth - some pass for their 2nd goal.

5 hours ago, bc57 said:

Impressive by Forth - some pass for their 2nd goal.

I liked the last goal saw the wee man do that a lot getting into that space and driving and finishing top strike dunno who put this up but they might wish they never teams will be sniffing was always on my list anyway but now the cats out the bag