West Region League 2 2018/19

It's certainly going to be a fascinating end to the season.  Every week I keep changing my mind about who will go up with ourselves and lanark.  As far as winning the league goes we keep responding to lanarks results.  I hope I'm wrong in saying our 2 home draws from winning positions doesn't come back to haunt us, however we have still had an amazing league campaign as well as our run to the cup final against Talbot.

After last year, the management team and the committee have done a great job rebuilding the team. We can but hope results go our way but if both Lanark and ourselves go up, both teams have had great seasons. Both have had great results in cups, beating teams that gave us no chance from leagues well above us.

Still chasing

Still 3 up and 3 down, top
2 have been very consistent and great battle, some teams have done really well to get themselves back into promotion hunt. All still to play each other so many twist and turns remain on last promotion place but for me who ever can put
a 4/5 winning streak in place would get it. Whoever that may be time will tell.

5 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

still 3 up, 3 down?

whats the thoughts on those that have seen them this seasons on Vale Of Levens chances of holding out in 3rd place?

Vale of leven have as good a chance as any to be honest, it's going to be very close for third place.  My prediction is Ashfield however it's going to be a great end to the season.

On 27/03/2019 at 18:51, Gowlad said:

Vale of leven have as good a chance as any to be honest, it's going to be very close for third place.  My prediction is Ashfield however it's going to be a great end to the season.

If they don't beat Muirkirk today I'd say they have very little chance.  I think Ashfield can ill afford to drop another point to thwart either Thorniewood or Muirkirk

Good result for The Gow against a decent St Ants team. The Gows strong squad showed with the second half subs to change the game. 5.1 was maybe a bit flattering but 3 pts.

Trannies were on for the Lanark game and heard they left it very late again to get the full 3 pts. Sign of a good team I suppose.

Still chasing

48 minutes ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Good result for The Gow against a decent St Ants team. The Gows strong squad showed with the second half subs to change the game. 5.1 was maybe a bit flattering but 3 pts.

Trannies were on for the Lanark game and heard they left it very late again to get the full 3 pts. Sign of a good team I suppose.

Still chasing

When we got the penalty I was like where the f**k is sandy going?  Lol. I didn't realise he was taking the penalty. 

8 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Lanark get a keeper for today or is Cammy standing in again ? Heard he had a couple of decent saves last time. Haha

18 year old lad, who played like an 18 year old. At fault for their 2nd and 3rd goals.

What a game. We were very poor today. Amazing the difference after last week. One up after 3 mins. 2-1 down at ht but Cammy Lawson scored a free kick from 35 yds to equalise. The legend that is Shug Kerr fractured his shoulder last week but came on as a late sub. He was taken out in the 89th minute to enable us to equalise from the spot and then he scored a bullet of a diving header to win it for us 4-3 in the 94th minute. The free kick was given after a Thorniewood coach came onto the field and volleyed a ball in the air before marching up the tunnel in anticipation of a red card. I believe the ball was going out for their throw in!!

12 minutes ago, bc57 said:

18 year old lad, who played like an 18 year old. At fault for their 2nd and 3rd goals.

What a game. We were very poor today. Amazing the difference after last week. One up after 3 mins. 2-1 down at ht but Cammy Lawson scored a free kick from 35 yds to equalise. The legend that is Shug Kerr fractured his shoulder last week but came on as a late sub. He was taken out in the 89th minute to enable us to equalise from the spot and then he scored a bullet of a diving header to win it for us 4-3 in the 94th minute. The free kick was given after a Thorniewood coach came onto the field and volleyed a ball in the air before marching up the tunnel in anticipation of a red card. I believe the ball was going out for their throw in!!

Worst pie of the season today.

A bit harsh on the young keeper, the 2nd goal he was comint out to collect it and a defender ans Stewart got between him and the ball and Stewart got his foot to it first and the 3rd goal was offside, slightly hesitant in coming for the ball but no cover from his defenders.

1 minute ago, lokforever said:

A bit harsh on the young keeper, the 2nd goal he was comint out to collect it and a defender ans Stewart got between him and the ball and Stewart got his foot to it first and the 3rd goal was offside, slightly hesitant in coming for the ball but no cover from his defenders.

We also got away with the one that we saved off the line.  I am unfairly comparing him with our normally excellent keeper. That said, it was not his fault we were so poor today.

5 minutes ago, lokforever said:

Looking forward to seeing your edit.

1 hour ago, bc57 said:

Even though we won 5-1 personally for me it was a bit of a sickener to find out lanark had won the match so late in the day after losing 3-2 with about 5 mins to go. However these are the type of scenarios that win leagues so well done.  Still plenty of football to be played so there is time for lanark (or the gow) to slip up.  Again well done and if lanark win I'll be one of the first to congratulate you bc.  Also have you ever heard of this scenario before bc?  We were up 2-1 (after trailing 1-0) and we were awarded a penalty, and our keeper sandy Thomson stepped up to take it and he scored.

3 hours ago, Gowlad said:

Even though we won 5-1 personally for me it was a bit of a sickener to find out lanark had won the match so late in the day after losing 3-2 with about 5 mins to go. However these are the type of scenarios that win leagues so well done.  Still plenty of football to be played so there is time for lanark (or the gow) to slip up.  Again well done and if lanark win I'll be one of the first to congratulate you bc.  Also have you ever heard of this scenario before bc?  We were up 2-1 (after trailing 1-0) and we were awarded a penalty, and our keeper sandy Thomson stepped up to take it and he scored.

Never. We missed about 10 penalties earlier in the season by Lewis Hill has only missed one ( I think) and scored a pile including 3 in one game otherwise our keeper would have had to be on the list to try his hand.

St Ant's are always difficult opponents so another good win for you.  

I was concerned going into today's game with Thorniewood desperately needing a win and us without 2 of our best performers. However, despite how poorly we played we dug out yet another victory. We have not had a single straightforward victory for months, which is a great testament to the fighting qualities of our team.