West Region League 2 2018/19

3 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Looking forward to the game next week. 

Were you in in the group of 6 at the far end from the enclosure? Must have been cold over there. 

BC was part of our hardy group.  Started cold ended freezing!

Top of the table clash this weekend with The Gow playing at Lanark. Both have been playing well in league and cup competitions since they last played. The Gow gave away 2 silly goals at the end of that game to earn Lanark a 2.2 draw against the run of play.

Hopefully the weather is kind to us and we get a good game of football.

PS. I know a lot of football has still to be played but I think one of these two will be league winners.

21 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Both managers views on the big game this weekend. 

32839279-5DE7-4AFF-A94D-AAF103722C00.jpeg

Shug Kerr's suspension is a blow, no doubt,  but every team has to play without their key players at some point or other in the season - just a pity it is in our biggest match. 

Lanark 1 The Gow 1

The Gow might regret not taking all 3pts that there play deserved today. First half both teams cancelled each other out and hype regarding this top of the table/local derby took over. The second half The Gow pounded Lanark and should taken at least one of the chances, easiest being a penalty, which the keeper saved well. 

Ahh well that’s football for ye. Long way to go yet. 

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

U having a :lol:HK?pounded us?  Your best 2 chances in the 2nd half were - the first, a mistake by our player , he gave the ball away at halfway allowing your guy a clear run on goal , our keeper did very well to touch the point blank shot onto the post. Should have been a goal . Then the penalty, a clear dive , canny believe the ref bought that one, so justice was done there when it was brilliantly saved. Can u tell us what other clear cut chances u had during this supposed pounding? Yes u were the better team 2nd half  i have no argument there but near the end we hit the post and your keeper made a good save down to his right.  And in the first half he made an even better save diving to his left or we'd have been 2 up.   Have u forgotten those? I do think  though that the point is possibly a better result for us than you as the gap is still the same.

Did you miss when our right winger cut inside and blasted over when we had 2 free in front of goal, when the ball cleared twice from your goal line, etc ? 

Only one team were pleased with that result today and as I said,  I hope we don’t regret not taking full 6 points from our 2 games come the end of the season. Nobody can honestly say we weren’t the better team both games but that’s football for you. 

Yeah we scrambled the ball away, it was close not sure it was off the line though, and did that not come from one corner?  It was hardly constant pressure. How many other saves did  our keeper make other than the ones I mentioned?  Yes u had most of the possession 2nd half but it counts for nothing. Both teams had a few chances and we could've won just as  u could. 

2 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Lanark 1 The Gow 1

The Gow might regret not taking all 3pts that there play deserved today. First half both teams cancelled each other out and hype regarding this top of the table/local derby took over. The second half The Gow pounded Lanark and should taken at least one of the chances, easiest being a penalty, which the keeper saved well. 

Ahh well that’s football for ye. Long way to go yet. 

Had we lost today we could not have complained as we did not play anywhere near as well as we can. We missed Shug Kerr today.  That said, we were there for the taking and, despite the 2nd half pressure Gow didn't actually create that many chances.  Both keepers made a couple of excellent saves and we hit the bar near the end. Gow penalty was soft but was not a dive IMO.

Last 10 mins was particularly exciting, end to end stuff with one last ditch tackle by Josh Gracie one of the highlights from a Lanark perspective.

We have now played all of the top teams home and away so to have won 14 on the bounce before today has taken some doing.  Not played Muirkirk who have a lot of games to play so can't assess if they are promotion contenders, other than on paper.

15 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Had we lost today we could not have complained as we did not play anywhere near as well as we can. We missed Shug Kerr today.  That said, we were there for the taking and, despite the 2nd half pressure Gow didn't actually create that many chances.  Both keepers made a couple of excellent saves and we hit the bar near the end. Gow penalty was soft but was not a dive IMO.

Last 10 mins was particularly exciting, end to end stuff with one last ditch tackle by Josh Gracie one of the highlights from a Lanark perspective.

We have now played all of the top teams home and away so to have won 14 on the bounce before today has taken some doing.  Not played Muirkirk who have a lot of games to play so can't assess if they are promotion contenders, other than on paper.

Yous do have a good run in with 6 home games from the 10 left.  We now need to rely on others to catch yous. Thorniewod and Forth look like our best hopes. The Forth won’t want yous celebrating winning the league at their ground, 

It was a great game yesterday well worth the fiver.  Considering we hadn't played for a few weeks I thought that would work against the gow however they kept going right to the end.  I think it would have been a travesty if we had lost that game at the end when lanark hit the woodwork and then Thomson had a good save from Lawson.  Personally I'm happy with a point as it's always a hard game at moor park and a shout out to our defence who I thought stifled the threat of chucky watt quite well. Both teams deserve to go up and I believe the best team always wins the league so whoever that may be then they will deserve it.  As for the other promotion place hopefully our local rivals carluke can secure it.

13 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Did you miss when our right winger cut inside and blasted over when we had 2 free in front of goal, when the ball cleared twice from your goal line, etc ? 

Only one team were pleased with that result today and as I said,  I hope we don’t regret not taking full 6 points from our 2 games come the end of the season. Nobody can honestly say we weren’t the better team both games but that’s football for you. 

Did you miss the fact that Lanark could have been 4 up in the first twenty minutes at Lesmahagow. 

15 minutes ago, yowe6 said:

Did you miss the fact that Lanark could have been 4 up in the first twenty minutes at Lesmahagow. 

Think you a forgetting the 2 goals Lanark scored at the gow came from gk errors . 

Also yesterday the gow could and should have scored 5 in the second half . Sandy only made 2 saves in the whole game that I can recall . 

Gareth made about 3 or 4 really good saves including the penalty , Jason was clean through 3 times , we missed a penalty , Kyle was clean through we had a goal mouth scramble and one headed off the line .

so I suggest u take the blue tinted glasses off 

1 hour ago, Gowlad said:

It was a great game yesterday well worth the fiver.  Considering we hadn't played for a few weeks I thought that would work against the gow however they kept going right to the end.  I think it would have been a travesty if we had lost that game at the end when lanark hit the woodwork and then Thomson had a good save from Lawson.  Personally I'm happy with a point as it's always a hard game at moor park and a shout out to our defence who I thought stifled the threat of chucky watt quite well. Both teams deserve to go up and I believe the best team always wins the league so whoever that may be then they will deserve it.  As for the other promotion place hopefully our local rivals carluke can secure it.

We were saying exactly that after the game. You'd have felt really sore if we'd nicked it at the end.  

4 minutes ago, NO 5 said:

Think you a forgetting the 2 goals Lanark scored at the gow came from gk errors . 

Also yesterday the gow could and should have scored 5 in the second half . Sandy only made 2 saves in the whole game that I can recall . 

Gareth made about 3 or 4 really good saves including the penalty , Jason was clean through 3 times , we missed a penalty , Kyle was clean through we had a goal mouth scramble and one headed off the line .

so I suggest u take the blue tinted glasses off 

There is no doubting that a more clinical Gow could have finished us off yesterday.  Gow keeper had the two excellent saves and we hit the bar.  Gareth had a couple of really good saves as well as the penalty and then had a good few blocks. However, the sign of a good team is to take points from games when not playing at it's best and we have done that several times this season.  I have lost count of the number of games I have come away from over the season's saying - we should have won that, but didn't. Our mentality is definitely stronger this season.

Taking the 4 points from the Carluke and Gow games without Shug Kerr is an indicator that we have a good squad. 

Yes your correct teams can't win with style all the time. Every team plays poor in games over the course of a season but as you say bc picking up points whilst not playing great is the sign of a good team and both teams can be satisfied with their seasons so far.

3 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Only one team were happy with a point from both games. Nobody missed that fact. 

Yes I agree.  Especially yesterday as it's the one that puts winning the league firmly in our own hands.