Early Season predictions

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's utter nonsense is you failing to grasp Dobbie's situation. We have a very small fanbase and it's already been published we had a bad year last year. The club cuts it's cloth accordingly.

'We've got a very small fanbase' = unconvincing excuse no. 457 for your ongoing mediocrity. If you really wanted to cut your cloth accordingly then you quite easily i) return to part-time status and ii) flog your bloated marquee signing. But you haven't done either, so you will still be judged as a full-time Championship club that has utterly failed to do anything since Dobbie returned on a massive wedge. 

One season challenging for a title and another season finishing 4th with a decent cup run is what you're classing as an achievement. Again, for a club with your fanbase it's embarrassing that's all you have to brag about.

Erm yes, because Cappielow of course resembles the Westfalen every fortnight. Any more permadiddy excuses for failure that you'd like dredge up or are we just about done here? 

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

This point about budgets in relation to Dobbie has been raised a few times already and I still can't get my head around how supporters/shareholders offering to independently finance a player is included in the  Manager's playing budget. If the Manager is told he has £X to spend on players at the start of a season,  then Dobbie becomes available,  the Manager still has the same  £X available for other players if outside finance is used to sign and pay Dobbie.  (Or am I still missing something) 

Yes, you are missing the point that the manager doesn’t have to sign Dobbie if he thinks the benefactor’s money could be better spent elsewhere. If he doesn’t think that and has asked for the money for Dobbie, then the (now inflated) budget has been spent on a single signing which, in the opinion of some, is a waste of that part of the budget.

And if the manager didn’t ask for the money, and signing Dobbie is a condition of the money being provided, what we have is a fan deciding who should and shouldn’t be in the team. This latter point appears to be your argument. So, where does it stop? When is it not ok for a fan to decide who is in the team because he is paying for it? Would it be ok for the chairman to do that if he was putting money in?

7 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Livi? Multiply bankrupt, full of drug dealers, thugs and sex pests? 

Livingston are a Premiership club.

That makes them immune from being considered a 'laughing stock' at this moment in time. 

That makes them immune from being considered a 'laughing stock' at this moment in time. 

Rangers are a Premiership club and they will never stop being a laughing stock.

5 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Pish of the highest order, dear boy. Rangers are a laughing stock. Livi likewise. Only thing funnier than the club are the fans. Happy to endorse drug dealers, thugs and perverts as long as they win games. 

4 hours ago, Flash said:

Yes, you are missing the point that the manager doesn’t have to sign Dobbie if he thinks the benefactor’s money could be better spent elsewhere. If he doesn’t think that and has asked for the money for Dobbie, then the (now inflated) budget has been spent on a single signing which, in the opinion of some, is a waste of that part of the budget.

And if the manager didn’t ask for the money, and signing Dobbie is a condition of the money being provided, what we have is a fan deciding who should and shouldn’t be in the team. This latter point appears to be your argument. So, where does it stop? When is it not ok for a fan to decide who is in the team because he is paying for it? Would it be ok for the chairman to do that if he was putting money in?

Is there any suggestion that the benefactor has made his (rather generous) payment of Dobbie’s wages conditional upon Dobbie being selected for the first XI?

Is there a realistic possibility that any Queens fan, of reasonably sound mind, thinks Dobbie shouldn’t be in the first XI?

Is there any suggestion that the benefactor has made his (rather generous) payment of Dobbie’s wages conditional upon Dobbie being selected for the first XI?
Is there a realistic possibility that any Queens fan, of reasonably sound mind, thinks Dobbie shouldn’t be in the first XI?

Very much this. Every team in the league would have Dobbie in their starting 11.

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:
1 hour ago, Frankie S said:

Very much this. Every team in the league would have Dobbie in their starting 11.

Nah. Not at Dunfermline. We're sorted

17 hours ago, Flash said:

I realise this isn't the thread to keep discussing this and apologies,  but:

My understanding of Dobbie's situation,  and I don't profess to be ITK,  is that he made it known, through J. T.  I believe,  that he wanted to come back to Queens.  The BoD would know that signing him would use up the playing budget,  and a bit more possibly,   so they sought outside funding,   or it was offered to them,  when the chance to sign Dobbie came up.  Any manager would jump at the chance of having Dobbie in the team,  especially if it didn't impact on his already meagre playing budget so the manager shouldn't have a problem with it. I doubt if he would even be involved in the discussions on the money side of Dobbie signing if he was happy it wouldn't impact on his agreed budget.  To me it's basically the backers deciding to sponsor a player of their choice and which would not cost the club anything. They're not adding their money to increase the Manager's budget for him to spend,   it is a specific arrangement to fund Dobbie being here. That's my understanding of it anyway but as I say I'm no more itk than most other fans.  Probably only one person who posts regularly on here knows the true situation and he,  quite rightly,   is bound to keep it confidential. Anyway that is why I still believe that having Dobbie here doesn't impact on the managers budget. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Whether all the fans agree he should be in the team is irrelevant to the issue. There may come a point when they don't agree. Or a different player, or players, could be funded that not everybody wants in the team, or even taking up places in the squad. Picking the squad isn’t a democratic process. Nor is it up to a single fan to decide who we sign. The choice of players should be the manager’s alone. If he has chosen the player, and somebody external has funded it, that is fine. What is not fine is somebody external choosing the player and the manager having his squad built for him, especially if the player in question is far more expensive than the others. In this case, there would be huge pressure on the manager to continue to pick somebody or else risk upsetting the benefactor who could withdraw the funding, or not do it again.

Anyway, the key point is this - if the benefactor would be generous enough to provide the money to sign Dobbie, why would they not also be generous enough to provide the money if the manager instead said he wanted to sign a bunch of players that would give us a great shot at winning the play-offs? If they would do this, then part of the budget is being spent on Dobbie instead of some better defenders, or whatever. Now, all the fans might agree that this is fine. But it doesn’t detract from the argument being made that a large slice of the budget is being blown on a single player. Which is how this whole pointless debate started.

Edited by Flash

46 minutes ago, Flash said:

Whether all the fans agree he should be in the team is irrelevant to the issue. There may come a point when they don't agree. Or a different player, or players, could be funded that not everybody wants in the team, or even taking up places in the squad. Picking the squad isn’t a democratic process. Nor is it up to a single fan to decide who we sign. The choice of players should be the manager’s alone. If he has chosen the player, and somebody external has funded it, that is fine. What is not fine is somebody external choosing the player and the manager having his squad built for him, especially if the player in question is far more expensive than the others. In this case, there would be huge pressure on the manager to continue to pick somebody or else risk upsetting the benefactor who could withdraw the funding, or not do it again.

Anyway, the key point is this - if the benefactor would be generous enough to provide the money to sign Dobbie, why would they not also be generous enough to provide the money if the manager instead said he wanted to sign a bunch of players that would give us a great shot at winning the play-offs? If they would do this, then part of the budget is being spent on Dobbie instead of some better defenders, or whatever. Now, all the fans might agree that this is fine. But it doesn’t detract from the argument being made that a large slice of the budget is being blown on a single player. Which is how this whole pointless debate started.

I would say that unless someone comes on here with irrefutable proof of how Dobbie's move/wages are funded and who funds it,  we will have to disagree on how we think it impacts on the playing budget,  if at all. To put it basically,  you are assuming that the "benefactors" money is or should be  put into the pot and the Manager should have the say on how it is spent.  Fair enough if that's what is happening,  but my belief is that the money is specific to funding Dobbie being here and not put in the pot,  completely separate funding from the playing budget. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs