Early Season predictions

It’s been 30 years (and counting) since Morton were last in the top flight, no recent cup final appearances to speak of, no European football, a crumbling wreck of a ground, a dwindling support - I’m genuinely struggling to think of a bigger laughing stock out of all the full-time clubs in Scotland.  

Rangers* being the only other obvious candidate, of course.

13 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

It’s been 30 years (and counting) since Morton were last in the top flight, no recent cup final appearances to speak of, no European football, a crumbling wreck of a ground, a dwindling support - I’m genuinely struggling to think of a bigger laughing stock out of all the full-time clubs in Scotland.  

At this present moment of time, Raith? Although they've been a far bigger and more successful club than Morton in the past thirty years. 

9 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

We're all in this together supporting our respective clubs, united by the fact we aren't moronic Old Firm fans. We're all the same really.

But it's probably Dundee Utd at the minute.

18 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

I don't have an iron in the fire in this argument/ odd wind up attempt, but I had a spare 5 mins there so looked up Ayr and Morton's relative successes.

I read that Morton have won the 2nd tier 6 times, as have Ayr.  They've won the third tier 3 times, as, again, have Ayr. Perhaps Morton's single 4th tier championship gives them the edge in league wins...?  Morton also have a Scottish cup to their name, while Ayr do not - however, Ayr were in a major final (League Cup) in 2001. Morton were last in one in 1964.  Morton appear to have won loads of Renfrewshire Cups... which is good for the 'trophies won' stat, but not much else.

So to be clear, you looked it all up only to find that the facts indeed confirm that Morton have more trophies on all fronts, as well as more seasons in the top flight and fewer seasons in the seaside leagues. I had already told you all of that, so you were in fact completely wasting your time. 

Unlucky. 

I'm expecting a ludicrously tight division this season - it could well take 45 points to be safe and just 55 to slither into the promotion play-offs. 

1. Ross County. Their squad looks fairly strong now but bumpkin 'Uncle Roy' will no doubt chuck some more money on the bonfire in January if they're in contention. They have to be considered marginal favourites for those reasons. 

2. Dunfermline. They've kept the core of a play-off team and have made a few decent additions as well. Scoring goals shouldn't be the same problem for them as it will for some other teams in the league. They're also likely to strengthen in January if they're in the hunt. 

3. Partick. Not quite sure what to make of their business but they've probably got enough about them to secure a play-off spot. 

4. Dundee United. They'll stink the place out, sack Laszlo and then recover only to get horsed in the play-offs. They're well and truly 'Dundeeing' their spell in the second tier by now. 

5. The Famous. We're not even remotely prepared for the start of the season so I'm expecting a piss-poor start and a steady recovery, especially once Johnstone is leading the line instead of Bob fucking McHugh. I think our difficulties right now and a complete lack of squad depth will cost us though - if our current injury level persists then we'll be a few places lower. 

6. Queen of the South. Standard, run of the mill failure incoming for the bloated marquee club. 

7. Inverness. They could be higher based on their run at the end of last season but they look to have brought in absolute jobbers over the summer. 

8. Falkirk. Not even remotely convinced by the parade of ringers from the English lower leagues that they've brought in. Hartley's a good manager for this level but I think they'll struggle regardless.

9. Ayr - see how the 'Ayr Boom-Bust Cycle' operates above.

10. Alloa. Won't stink the place out like Brechin did, but they've got no quality in their squad whatsoever. Reckon they'll shitfest plenty of draws but only a handful of wins. Down by a twenty point margin. 

Who has won more challenge cups - Ayr or the Famous? I feel this is what might settle the "who's club bigger and better" argument.

Queens have had a better league cup campaign and decent preseason this time around but unsure if that momentum will be carried into the league. We have a decent 11 but still no depth to the squad. If everyone stays fit and plays decent, 5th is a good shout. When the enevitable injuries start kicking in . . . Well hopefully someone else is having a worse season than us.

Either way this looks a strong tough league this year.

6. Queen of the South. Standard, run of the mill failure incoming for the bloated marquee club.  

We've been over-achieving for years so you've made an arse of that. Something including journeymen might have been better. "Run of the mill failure" would be far more appropriate next to Morton's name.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

So to be clear, you looked it all up only to find that the facts indeed confirm that Morton have more trophies on all fronts, as well as more seasons in the top flight and fewer seasons in the seaside leagues. I had already told you all of that, so you were in fact completely wasting your time. 

Unlucky. 

I don't think I was "unlucky" to look up the stats you were skewing and to be able to establish that your claim that Morton had won " far more league titles" was entirely false, unless you meant to say "one more league title... in the fouth tier".  Was that a typo? I presume it must have been, as  only a fantasist would believe that a fourth tier title, along with some nonsense about who has spent less time in the third tier (who cares?) and a pile of pre-season local cups - which no one in Scotland even realises are being played except fans of the couple of league teams contesting them -  makes one team a laughing stock and the other far superior to them and in a position to bitterly gloat.  But, if it makes you feel better to fire out wonky salvos at Ayr United fans, then carry on.  My point - which  believe remains a strong one - is that it is an odd fight to pick given the rather similar records your teams have. An Ayr fan also mentioned that they have the superior head to head over time which, given that you are counting up everything the clubs have ever done in the history of the game, must be quite disappointing for you.

Maybe we simply have to agree to disagree on Morton being much bigger and less of a "point and laugh" outfit than Ayr.  All I (and, I suspect many other fans of other clubs) recall from recent years was a tragi-comic relegation from tier 2 to the "seaside league" you so disdain, having conceded ten goals in a final league game.  Clue: it wasn't Ayr who suffered it.

Edited by VictorOnopko

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We've been over-achieving for years so you've made an arse of that. Something including journeymen might have been better. 

Erm yes, I distinctly recall that when you spunked your buidget on Dobbie two years ago your fans on here salivating at the prospect of err, finishing midtable yet again and getting papped out of every cup early doors. What an overachievement for a full time club with a midtable budget; finishing above the powerhouses of Dumbarton and Brechin every year!

"Run of the mill failure" would be far more appropriate next to Morton's name.

Not really given that we acheived all our targets just two years ago and then sacked our manager for failing to do so again just a few months ago. As opposed to constantly rewarding your manager and players for mediocrity and failure, which is in fact the Queen of the South way. Expect more of that same failure to come then. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 hours ago, Grant228 said:

At this present moment of time, Raith? Although they've been a far bigger and more successful club than Morton in the past thirty years. 

Livi? Multiply bankrupt, full of drug dealers, thugs and sex pests? 

1 minute ago, VictorOnopko said:

I don't think I was "unlucky" to look up the stats you were skewing and to be able to establish that your claim that Morton had won " far more league titles" was entirely false, unless you meant to say "one more league title... in the fouth tier".  Was that a typo? I presume it must have been, as  only a fantasist would believe that a fourth tier title, along with some nonsense about who has spent less time in the third tier (who cares?) and a pile of pre-season local cups - which no one in Scotland even realises are being played except fans of the couple of league teams contesting them -  makes one team a laughing stock and the other far superior to them and in a position to bitterly gloat. 

Not sure you understand what 'bitterly' means tbh as it has no place next to 'gloat' in that word salad of a sentence. 

The combination of major trophies won, more league titles won and more seasons spent in the top flight does indeed make one team far superior; the fact that the other club is Ayr United is what makes them a laughing stock.  

An Ayr fan also mentioned that they have the superior head to head over time which, given that you are counting up everything the clubs have ever done in the history of the game, must be quite disappointing for you.

Not at all because that's not actually an achievement in any way, shape or form. Thanks for playing anyway. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not sure you understand what 'bitterly' means tbh as it has no place next to 'gloat' in that word salad of a sentence. 

The combination of major trophies won, more league titles won and more seasons spent in the top flight does indeed make one team far superior; the fact that the other club is Ayr United is what makes them a laughing stock.  

Not at all because that's not actually an achievement in any way, shape or form. Thanks for playing anyway. 

I see. So results between the teams don't count, and the single fourth tier title is your crucial tie-breaker. Fine; we'll leave it there.

A multi-clause sentence with a word combination you don't like does not equal a "word salad" .  As you are demonstrating very well, it's more than possible to gloat in a bitter (and misinformed) way. It's also interesting to see your deflection tactics in attempting to shift the focus onto vocabulary rather than football - particularly since  your claim of "far" more league titles was either a lie which you hoped no one would check, or a very poorly chosen word.

Thanks for playing. Unlucky. Ainsley picture, etcetera, etcetera.

Edited by VictorOnopko

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Having been swiftly punted into touch for this absolute beamer of a stat, you have bafflingly re-appeared and trotted out the same line again. 

The fact that you are claiming some kind of victory for having 'more league titles' due to the fact that you won the Scottish 3rd (THIRD) Division trophy is quite possibly the most tragic thing I have seen on this forum. 

Gutted for you.

If confirmation was needed that we've dropped from the top flight then it is to be found in a thread where a Morton fan is trying to tell the world that his team are massively more successful than Ayr United. Not so much two bald men arguing over a comb as one sad bald man in need of some kind of attention and validation trying to convince the world that he needs a comb and nobody really caring. 

I have nothing to add to the Morton v Ayr United 'debate' but apropos of nothing I note with mild amusement that Morton have finished above Thistle just once in the last 18 years. They finished 13 points above us that season. We got promoted. They didn't. 

Dobbie and our "buidget" has been discussed to death. You don't appear to be able to grasp this.

"A midtable budget" - We'll have the second lowest budget in the division, so unless you class 9th as midtable then that's another thing you've arsed up. We've finished above a full-time club every season for the last decade excluding 2: the season we went down and our time in the division below. 6 of those 10 seasons we've finished above yourselves.

Given the fanbase of both sides only one should be at least challenging most seasons. The fact 4th is seen as some kind of achievement for yourselves is more embarassing than it is worth noting. In the last decade us diddies have achieved more than the powerhouse that is Morton.

As I said, only one of our clubs is a "run of the mill failure".

11 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

If confirmation was needed that we've dropped from the top flight then it is to be found in a thread where a Morton fan is trying to tell the world that his team are massively more successful than Ayr United. Not so much two bald men arguing over a comb as one sad bald man in need of some kind of attention and validation trying to convince the world that he needs a comb and nobody really caring. 

I have nothing to add to the Morton v Ayr United 'debate' but apropos of nothing I note with mild amusement that Morton have finished above Thistle just once in the last 18 years. They finished 13 points above us that season. We got promoted. They didn't. 

Wait until you've been scudded at Recreation Park. That's when you really know you're relegated. 

25 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I see. So results between the teams don't count, and the single fourth tier title is your crucial tie-breaker. Fine; we'll leave it there.

A multi-clause sentence with a word combination you don't like does not equal a "word salad" .  As you are demonstrating very well, it's more than possible to gloat in a bitter (and misinformed) way. It's also interesting to see your deflection tactics in attempting to shift the focus onto vocabulary rather than football - particularly since  your claim of "far" more league titles was either a lie which you hoped no one would check, or a very poorly chosen word.

Thanks for playing. Unlucky. Ainsley picture, etcetera, etcetera.

Results between teams do not count because you don't actually get a trophy for them - this isn't egg-chasing. Having a team linger in the cold, dark shadow of The Famous is not something that you can possibly be 'bitter' about, so that's another swing and a miss.  

Virginton's ranting would be hilarious if it wasn't already incredibly sad. It's really unfortunate that he feels the need to big his team up when deep down he knows and everyone around him knows they're truly a laughing stock. Only an delusional idiot would try to use a 3rd Division title to try and one up fans of another team. We're all deeply embarrassed for you VT but if you feel that posting nonsense on a football thread is the only way to attract attention to you then go ahead. We can't stop you.

Anyways I'll just add my predictions below.

1 - Ross County

2 - Dundee United 

3 - Dunfermline 

4 - Partick Thistle

5 - Falkirk

6 - Ayr United

7 - Inverness Caley Thistle

8 - Morton 

9 - Queen of the South

10 - Alloa Athletic