Early Season predictions

Morton haven’t had a striker of Dobies quality for decades.

No, but at least they've used their budget sensibly across their squad and as a result have been reaping the rewards.

16 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible for your benefit.  Signing Stephen Dobbie didn't/doesn't  impact on the Club's wage bill anywhere near the extent that you seem to think it does. The majority if not all his wages are not paid by the club.

Utterly delusional nonsense. 

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here.  Yes,  when he came back he said it was to help QoS hopefully gain promotion but to be honest it would take more than one man's introduction to do that,  however good he was.  The fact that defensively we were fragile means that Dobbie's goals have without doubt kept us in the Championship so his benefit to the Club has been just as beneficial.

Revisionism. You signed a player with the aim of helping you to win promotion,  so resorting to 'at least he stopped us from getting relegated' is an admission of utter failure from the player and the club. 

The Manager had the same budget irrespective of Dobbie being here or not,  unfortunately he didn't use it wisely enough to build a solid defensive base.

Your manager can't build a solid defensive base to your team because he doesn't have the budget to do so. You seem to think that this has no rational explanation at all, when anyone with a functioning brain knows that spunking your money on Dobbie has had a clear and obvious impact on your ability to attract anyone other than absolute jobbers. 

Dobbie being here  probably puts a few extra bums on seats and sells a few extra season tickets which,  considering we have a fairly small hard-core of fans, means he is attracting money into the club that we may not have had. 

That'll be why your average attendance have  slumped by one third since your bloated marquee signing joined the club. Turns out that the people of Dumfries aren't actually buying into a one-man outfit that still can't muster a top half finish and gets easily papped out of the cups every single time. 

Thanks for playing anyway champ.

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

No, but at least they've used their budget sensibly across their squad and as a result have been reaping the rewards.

In the last two seasons under a tactical dinosaur of a manager, Morton have still reached the promotion play-offs, a League Cup semi-final and the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup; Queen of the South and Stephen Dobbie have achieved absolutely nothing of note in the same period. Reaping the rewards indeed - in fact our League Cup run alone was worth several hundred thousand pounds to the club. 

Gutted for you. 

Edited by vikingTON

Guest Flash
16 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible for your benefit.  Signing Stephen Dobbie didn't/doesn't  impact on the Club's wage bill anywhere near the extent that you seem to think it does. The majority if not all his wages are not paid by the club. I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here.  

That doesn’t really counter the budget argument, though. If a fan is funding his wages, why would they not provide the same amount to allow us to have a squad good enough for promotion instead? 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

That doesn’t really counter the budget argument, though. If a fan is funding his wages, why would they not provide the same amount to allow us to have a squad good enough for promotion instead? 

If I won the lottery, I would happily part with a chunk of it to pay for Stephen Dobbie. If the money was being spent on some John Rankins, I might think otherwise

Guest Flash
Just now, Mr X said:

If I won the lottery, I would happily part with a chunk of it to pay for Stephen Dobbie. If the money was being spent on some John Rankins, I might think otherwise

I specifically said funding a squad good enough for promotion.

However, somebody once trusted Chisholm with a lot of money to build a promotion winning squad, so fair enough if whoever this is doesn’t think Skelton or Naysmith are capable of it. 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

I specifically said funding a squad good enough for promotion.

However, somebody once trusted Chisholm with a lot of money to build a promotion winning squad, so fair enough if whoever this is doesn’t think Skelton or Naysmith are capable of it. 

You did, fair point.

However, I would guess that the money required to fund a promotion winning squad is significantly more than what Dobbie is earning alone - despite VTs trolling. And as you say, spending money is not guarantee of promotion - there will be at least a couple of disappointed clubs this season. 

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

VT's point is that the club spunked the budget to bring in Dobbie.  I pointed our that this is not the case, the budget does not pay for Dobbie. That is surely simple to understand. The fact that the budget is not big enough or perhaps used wisely enough has nothing to do with where Dobbie's wages come from. 

If some outside source wants to invest funding for a player/players then they surely have a right to  say who it's used for. 

Guest Flash
20 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

VT's point is that the club spunked the budget to bring in Dobbie.  I pointed our that this is not the case, the budget does not pay for Dobbie. That is surely simple to understand. The fact that the budget is not big enough or perhaps used wisely enough has nothing to do with where Dobbie's wages come from. 

If some outside source wants to invest funding for a player/players then they surely have a right to  say who it's used for. 

If the overall budget is not good enough to win promotion whether or not it is spent on Dobbie is a completely different argument from saying Dobbie’s wages are externally funded, therefore do not affect the budget. My question was - if some philanthropist is prepared to increase the budget to allow Dobbie to play for us, why would they not instead increase the budget to allow us to build a promotion winning squad?  If it is because they do not trust Naysmith to build the squad then fair enough.

In the last two seasons under a tactical dinosaur of a manager, Morton have still reached the promotion play-offs, a League Cup semi-final and the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup; Queen of the South and Stephen Dobbie have achieved absolutely nothing of note in the same period. Reaping the rewards indeed - in fact our League Cup run alone was worth several hundred thousand pounds to the club. 
Gutted for you. 
All great achievements that'll be worth telling the grandkids about. Good on them.

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Everybody's talking about Queen of the South.  SOME FUCKIN' CLUB. 

*plagiarised from Falkirk thread. 

Agreed,  time to get back on thread.  Blame TV for casting a line. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

You did, fair point.

However, I would guess that the money required to fund a promotion winning squad is significantly more than what Dobbie is earning alone - despite VTs trolling. And as you say, spending money is not guarantee of promotion - there will be at least a couple of disappointed clubs this season. 

2k a week (for argument's sake) would let you pay 10 players 200 quid a week more than currently. At this level 200 quid a week is a huge difference.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

2k a week (for argument's sake) would let you pay 10 players 200 quid a week more than currently. At this level 200 quid a week is a huge difference.

Putting aside the 2K a week, it would make a big difference. However, all it would do is bring us in line with four or five other clubs in the league. It might give us a squad good enough for promotion bit be far from a given.

You also have to factor that money no longer being available. At the moment, presumably, it will be for as long as Dobbie goes and when he does we'll be left with a big Dobbie sized hole but otherwise the same squad. Spread that money out over 10 players and you're replacing the majority of the squad with lesser quality

21 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

QOTS do ok, decent fans and can’t really think of anything offensive about them.

Dumfries is quite a lovely town with a few nice pubs, when I stayed there last year the locals were good people. 

QOTS did vote "wrongly" in the Sevco vote though didn't they? And they let Paul Burns and Gavin Reilly loose, crazy cats. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Dumfries is quite a lovely town with a few nice pubs, when I stayed there last year the locals were good people. 

QOTS did vote "wrongly" in the Sevco vote though didn't they? 

Yep :angry:

Edited by Dougie Mills

QOTS did vote "wrongly" in the Sevco vote though didn't they? And they let Paul Burns and Gavin Reilly loose, crazy cats. 
There are worse places than Dumfries but the high street is an embarassment and attacks in the towm seem to be happening more than I can ever remember. I'd sooner walk in the 'rougher' areas than the town centre at night.

The Sevco vote is still a sore point whenever I think about it and some folk are still convinced our crowds have suffered slightly ever since.