2026 WC in North America.

I'll be too auld anyway but I wouldn't fancy traipsing after  my team over an entire continent . Too much travelling. Cost a fortune, take forever. Wouldn't be a lot of fun.

Could just go to Canada for the dope, though.  :)

eta     the travel in Russia is almost as bad. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/06/2018 at 17:32, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Doing weed is morally wrong. 

Your morals. That's fine.  :)

(Now if you had said it was physically damaging, I wouldn't argue,  as drawing smoke into your lungs is bad for your health. )

On 13/06/2018 at 17:36, Donathan said:

Assuming the groups will be regionally organised? Even still, it's a bit shite that the 48 team format means you're only guaranteed 2 games.

They could make it worldwide and give every country in it 2 or 3 games, then no-one would have to travel except players and officials. Just like the qualifiers only further to travel.

(I'm not seriously suggesting this)

I just think this is utterly ridiculous.  A World Cup in any of these countries (including Canada despite a footballing history) would have been excellent, but this is just a bloated monster.  It's bad enough having a quarter of eligible nations contesting a world cup, but to then have it cast over three of the biggest countries on earth is f**k off material.

The travel, as has been mentioned, is ludicrous.  As are the climate changes you might find between venues - and remember how much of a fuss was made about that in Brazil.

2 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I just think this is utterly ridiculous.  A World Cup in any of these countries (including Canada despite a footballing history) would have been excellent, but this is just a bloated monster.  It's bad enough having a quarter of eligible nations contesting a world cup, but to then have it cast over three of the biggest countries on earth is f**k off material.

The travel, as has been mentioned, is ludicrous.  As are the climate changes you might find between venues - and remember how much of a fuss was made about that in Brazil.

I think it should be a 64 team world cup same format as now with twice as many groups and one extra knock out round.  I don't see the problem with the arbitrary number you picked of a quarter.

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I think it should be a 64 team world cup same format as now with twice as many groups and one extra knock out round.  I don't see the problem with the arbitrary number you picked of a quarter.

How do you mean arbitrary?

8 hours ago, Estragon said:

I'm aware the figure is correct, you deciding it's objectionable is entirely arbitrary.  If it was a third you'd say a third is too much if it was a seventh you'd say a seventh is too much.  Why is a quarter too many?

There comes a point when the quality and format desirability are very badly affected.

We saw the quality of Saudi Arabia yesterday. On paper they'd be up for reaching the knockout stages of the expanded format.

Also the format is deeply undesirable. Top 2 out of 3 progressing will encourage defensive play. Teams 2 & 3 will know what results they need to progress.

Some teams will be also be effectively eliminated after their opening game... 16 teams and their fans will go home after 2 games... some will be eliminated and going home only a few days in.

Let's look at who would be added to make up the 48 qualifiers, based on the qualification for the current competition.

AFC goes up from 4.5 to 8 places. The 3 teams in the top 4 of each of the two final qualifying groups who didn't make it were:

1. Syria
  2. Uzbekistan
  3. UAE

CAF goes up from 5 to 9 places. They have 5 final groups, and the 4 best second-placed teams were:

1. DR Congo
  2. Ivory Coast
  3. Burkina Faso
  4. Uganda

Concacaf goes up from 3.5 places to 6. Assuming they give 3 of those places to Canada, USA and Mexico, the next 3 would be:

1. Costa Rica
  2. Panama
  3. Honduras

Conmebol goes up from 4.5 to 6, giving us:

1. Chile

OFC goes up from 0.5 to 1 place, meaning we get:

1. New Zealand

Finally, the money pot, UEFA. It gains 3 places, from 13 to 16. The three losing teams in the play-offs who had the best record in qualifying (excluding 6th-placed teams) were:

1. Italy
  2. Northern Ireland
  3. Greece

Finally, there will be a place open via a global play-off. The best of the countries who didn't make my list above are Ireland, Paraguay, Zambia, China and Trinidad & Tobago, so add one of them.

So to see what the groups would look like, take one of the top two seeds in the current World Cup, then take one of the third or fourth seeds, and then one of those above.

No Portugal v Spain, no England v Belgium. The highest ranked team in the current Pot 3 was Denmark.  I think I'll wait till the knock-out round, thanks.

Actually, I just read how the global play-off will work. There will be one from each association except UEFA, plus another from Concacaf as they're hosts, playing a mini-tournament in the "host" country. So those six could have been Paraguay, Zambia, Solomon Islands, Iraq, Trinidad & Tobago and Guatemala.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JTS98
28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The same number brain cells you have.

What an attack!

No idea who you are or what prompted that.

Anyway, back on topic. Don't you think a 16-team World Cup would be a great watch?

Easy to add in another qualification stage to whittle down the bloated, political 32-team waste of time.

Archived