2026 WC in North America.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

What an attack!

No idea who you are or what prompted that.

Anyway, back on topic. Don't you think a 16-team World Cup would be a great watch?

Easy to add in another qualification stage to whittle down the bloated, political 32-team waste of time.

Excluding countries is definitely the way to promote football.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JTS98
3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who's being excluded? Everyone has the opportunity to take part in the qualifiers. This isn't school sports day where everyone gets to play.

Guest JTS98
3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Also, football doesn't seem to be in much need of promotion. It's really very popular.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Also, football doesn't seem to be in much need of promotion. It's really very popular.

^^^Head of Marketing.

When countries qualify, football in that country benefits financially and more people participate and attend games, even buy shirts or subscribe to watching on the telly etc. 

How would your 16 team event continue that trend, how would you get the countries who rejected that format, to allow a fairer distribution of access to the World Cup, to vote for that?

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^Head of Marketing.

When countries qualify, football in that country benefits financially and more people participate and attend games, even buy shirts or subscribe to watching on the telly etc. 

How would your 16 team event continue that trend, how would you get the countries who rejected that format, to allow a fairer distribution of access to the World Cup, to vote for that?

By making access to finance less reliant on qualification for the World Cup. Buy them off, basically.

I think your assertion is somewhat naive, in any case. Do you think football in Nigeria will benefit from their participation? I doubt it. Korea have a great record of reaching World Cups and have even hosted it, yet their domestic football is appalling (trust me, I watch it every week), so much so that they have a tough time persuading anyone to watch it. Their youth development is a joke, interest in the game is stagnating. Where is the World Cup benefit? How is Cameroonian football getting on?

Long term, I'd argue it's better for the game to have a showpiece event of genuinely high quality. 32 teams is too bloated to give that, 48 will be absurd and many games essentially a waste of time. Unworthy of the World Cup.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

By making access to finance less reliant on qualification for the World Cup. Buy them off, basically.

I think your assertion is somewhat naive, in any case. Do you think football in Nigeria will benefit from their participation? I doubt it. Korea have a great record of reaching World Cups and have even hosted it, yet their domestic football is appalling (trust me, I watch it every week), so much so that they have a tough time persuading anyone to watch it. Their youth development is a joke, interest in the game is stagnating. Where is the World Cup benefit? How is Cameroonian football getting on?

Long term, I'd argue it's better for the game to have a showpiece event of genuinely high quality. 32 teams is too bloated to give that, 48 will be absurd and many games essentially a waste of time. Unworthy of the World Cup.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Buy them off, basically.

That sounds like huge improvement on a "politically motivated" qualification process.

Guest JTS98
Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

That sounds like huge improvement on a "politically motivated" qualification process.

It's going to be corrupt either way, we might as well get a good tournament out of it.

16 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Countries like Panama & Nigeria for example don't benefit much from being cannon fodder. I'd love to see the sport becoming more global, but you don't achieve that by just giving more spots to weaker continents. Many countries that have a lot of passion for football aren't exactly rich or well organised. Instead, FIFA should invest some of the absurd profits they make in help with coaching, youth structure, organisation etc. They shouldn't just give money unconditionally to all these countries, because it often doesn't end up at grassroots football, but if they do it this way the standard of football in such countries will benefit.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

New Zealand should qualify every time from the rule change.

image.thumb.png.443eba92957226bcc943e319b24c4364.png

People always say this, forgetting...

* in 2004 NZ lost to Vanuatu in the Oceania Nations Cup & World Cup Qualifying Groupstage (they finished 3rd and Solomon Islands progressed to next stage with Australia)

* in 2012 NZ lost to Tahiti in the Oceania Nations Cup SF (this is why Tahiti went on to qualify for Confederations Cup)

* in 2015 NZ lost to Vanuatu in the Olympic Qualifying SF (this is why Fiji went on to qualify for Olympics)

* they've also had a fair few slip-ups in the U20s and club tournaments

NZ are good. They aren't undefeatable.

In last Nations Cup they beat New Caledonia 1-0 + PNG on penalties.

In WC qualifying drew with New Caledonia + Solomon Islands.

On 6/30/2018 at 02:25, Richey Edwards said:

I'll be 36 when this is on so I probably won't be in the Scotland squad.

Have you seen the current Scotland squad? I'll be 63 and still think I'm in with a chance.

On 15/06/2018 at 09:56, Peppino Impastato said:

I think it should be a 64 team world cup same format as now with twice as many groups and one extra knock out round.  I don't see the problem with the arbitrary number you picked of a quarter.

A 64 team world cup with an extra group stage would be far too long.

On 7/4/2018 at 13:43, sparky88 said:

A 64 team world cup with an extra group stage would be far too long.

Only one group game more than what is planned for 2026

Instead of an opening group stage of three teams it would be four

3 hours ago, Bandstand said:

Only one group game more than what is planned for 2026

Instead of an opening group stage of three teams it would be four

That's one extra group game per team but three extra group games per group. That increases the total number of group matches from 48 (which is the same as currently) to 96. Which, assuming that FIFA aren't on board with playing matches at the same time since it would damage viewing figures, increases the length of the tournament by about a week.

Guest JTS98
On 7/2/2018 at 07:09, HibeeJibee said:

People always say this, forgetting...

* in 2004 NZ lost to Vanuatu in the Oceania Nations Cup & World Cup Qualifying Groupstage (they finished 3rd and Solomon Islands progressed to next stage with Australia)

* in 2012 NZ lost to Tahiti in the Oceania Nations Cup SF (this is why Tahiti went on to qualify for Confederations Cup)

* in 2015 NZ lost to Vanuatu in the Olympic Qualifying SF (this is why Fiji went on to qualify for Olympics)

* they've also had a fair few slip-ups in the U20s and club tournaments

NZ are good. They aren't undefeatable.

In last Nations Cup they beat New Caledonia 1-0 + PNG on penalties.

In WC qualifying drew with New Caledonia + Solomon Islands.

Worth pointing out that Tahiti went on to get ridden like nobody has ever been ridden before at the Confederations Cup. 6-1, 8-0, 10-0.

FIFA will be praying for NZ to take care of business.

Archived