Premier League 2018-19

50 minutes ago, throbber said:

Enlighten me then if I don’t have the understanding to comment, how was he doing an excellent job of rebuilding the team and where was he taking them? He made poor signings, had a completely unbalanced team full of left footers, got rid of Wellbeck and Hernandez for f**k all without bringing in suitable replacements leaving them short up front and had them playing absolutely atrocious football. I don’t have time to go through absolutely all of his signings and players he sold but In 15/16 he bought in Schneiderlin and Depay for about about the same money that City played for KdB.

It’s all been shite since the Moyes appointment. Sometimes it has looked alright for them and you think a title challenge is just around the corner but they are just going to drop too many points to trouble city this year. Mourinho’s not entirely to blame but the sooner he is gone the better.

No, as I don't care whether you understand or not.  I'm right.  People who know what they're talking about will agree.

No, as I don't care whether you understand or not.  I'm right.  People who know what they're talking about will agree.

Just like you were right about America being the most obese country in the world on another thread? Or the Liverpool owner saying they’re not going to extend the stadium further? Minter

I don't think Moyes would, suddenly, have turned Man U into what Man City are now but there's no doubt he was harshly treated in my mind. I know folk say "He took the champions down to 7th" but there's a good bit of mitigating circumstances in that.

The squad he inherited had just lost Paul Pogba for a pittance and seen the retirement of Paul Scholes so had no midfield. His attempts to fix the gaps in midfield were hindered by Ed Woodward being about as useful as a chocolate teapot who let three or four signings Moyes wanted slip out of their grasp.

The first teamers  Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Valencia, Carrick, Young, Rooney, Giggs and van Persie were already past their peak (even if Young has since reinvented himself as a full back). The laughably poor attempts of Ferdinand and Vidic when they left Man U suggest they were already past it but had monstrous egos. When Moyes wanted to input his own style of play and work around the fact that Vidic and Ferdinand were slower he was looking to get them to defend in a way similar to his Everton team. The story goes Vidic refused to take part as, as has been mentioned, he took offence at being asked to watch videos of how other teams defended. Dick.

Of the first team members left in the squad who were still under 30 he had de Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Lindegaard, Welbeck, Cleverly and Kagawa. Pile of shite.

That's a decent base in defence but there is nothing upfront or in midfield. It's a huge rebuilding job. He's trying to imprint his own style of play, bring through younger players (who, it turns out, are nowhere near good enough), gradually ease out the ageing players (while keeping them happy) and is trusting a novice Ed Woodward to complete his signing targets.

So his best players were past it, his young players weren't good enough, the club failed at signing players and he was undermined from the start by the press and his own players.

I seem to remember Fellaini being available for a fair bit lower than they paid for him, but Woodward completely fucked up and missed the deadline for his release clause. 

Janko and Varela did nothing, but his two big signings (Fellaini and Mata) have been more valuable than a huge amount of players since Moyes left. 

It is quite dickish for Vidic to act like that when his new manager has tried to get him to watch videos of other but players but what respect is Vidic going to have for Moyes? Moyes hadn’t won a trophy as a manager and Vidic was a champions league winner so why would he feel he needed to change his game in any way?

Probably not too dissimilar to AVB at Chelsea when Terry, Lampard and Drogba basically just ignored him and walked all over him as they had no respect for his as a manager.

Probably not too dissimilar to AVB at Chelsea when Terry, Lampard and Drogba basically just ignored him and walked all over him as they had no respect for his as a manager.

Should be pointed out that those three were being utter cocks in that instance too, and at least two of them remain utter cocks.

Should be pointed out that those three were being utter cocks in that instance too, and at least two of them remain utter cocks.

Lampard might not have been being a cock actually. Drogba was doing the team talks though IIRC.

Ferguson still should have known this sort of thing would have been likely to happen with his senior players at Utd when he brought Moyes in though.

30 minutes ago, throbber said:

It is quite dickish for Vidic to act like that when his new manager has tried to get him to watch videos of other but players but what respect is Vidic going to have for Moyes? Moyes hadn’t won a trophy as a manager and Vidic was a champions league winner so why would he feel he needed to change his game in any way?

He should be changing his game because he was getting older and slower and was working under a new manager and a new system and be adapting his game to what works best for the team. He was pish that year for Man U and was laughable at Inter Milan the year later.

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

Ferguson still should have known this sort of thing would have been likely to happen with his senior players at Utd when he brought Moyes in though.

Probably why he brought him in. Ferguson had the same problem with players ignoring him when he arrived at Man U and went about dealing with them and saw a bit of himself in Moyes and maybe thought he could do the same? Players have a bit more power now and Moyes aint no Ferguson.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

4 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Those were some pretty big boots to fill. I doubt a retired manager in his 70s would have been be able to command the defence of any Premier League club, let alone Man Utd 

Converting from centre forward to centre half would've been a big ask at his age also.