Premier League 2018-19

36 minutes ago, Desp said:

Also, has English club won the domestic treble before?

Don’t think it’s been done. I think Man Utd in recent times came closest in 1993-4 winning the double, but it was Villa stopped the treble in the league cup final 

Edited by heedthebaa

14 minutes ago, Dele said:

Found out that Arsenal got a gold trophy specially made for the invincible season. Quite smart, tbh. 

Yeah, I saw it when I was down at the Emirates a few years back and had a look around the museum.  It's about half the size of the actual PL trophy.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Arsenal gave it to Wenger as a gift when he left the club last season. 

36 minutes ago, Desp said:

Yeah, I saw it when I was down at the Emirates a few years back and had a look around the museum.  It's about half the size of the actual PL trophy.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Arsenal gave it to Wenger as a gift when he left the club last season. 

You mean when he was sacked for consistently finishing in the top five with a top five (at best) squad? :P

55 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Very generic

:D 

This is progress mallow ... 2 words :lol:

I’ll post up a few details from Anfield tomorrow night give you an idea of what it’s like etc now we are looking at  posting seriously beyond ‘Lolverpool’ on here :)

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

5 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

:D 

This is progress mallow ... 2 words :lol:

I’ll post up a few details from Anfield tomorrow night give you an idea of what it’s like etc now we are looking at  posting seriously beyond ‘Lolverpool’ on here :)

What do the players from Liverpool picked in the team of the season do well? What are their attributes? What sets them apart beyond their nearest peers?

1 hour ago, Desp said:

It'll be interesting to see how Liverpool react if they do end up with 97 points and finish 2nd.  Any way you look at it, that is an exceptional season but surely it's one that'll hurt badly.  Is it a one-off though, or is it something they can maintain moving forward?  Nobody thought City could do what they did last year again, and it looks like they'll get 98 points to follow up last year's 100.  That's also with large spells without the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne and Fernandinho. 

Man City could realistically dominate for the next five or six years, depending on how long Guardiola stays on for.

Also, has an English club won the domestic treble before?

Fully expect Liverpool to challenge them for the next 5 or 6 years. To miss out on 97 points would be agonising but what progress has been made this season defensively and consistency wise. Most of the squad is at a great age and still a work in progress. 

A wee trip to Madrid and maybe a trophy threre would soften the blow somewhat too ... :)

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What do the players from Liverpool picked in the team of the season do well? What are their attributes? What sets them apart beyond their nearest peers?

I’ve already commented on every game this season mallow since going to Chester at the start of pre-season I’d hate to repeat myself and spam up my thread :). What do you think? 

37 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Fully expect Liverpool to challenge them for the next 5 or 6 years. To miss out on 97 points would be agonising but what progress has been made this season defensively and consistency wise. Most of the squad is at a great age and still a work in progress. 

A wee trip to Madrid and maybe a trophy threre would soften the blow somewhat too ... :)

I think a lot will depend on what City do in terms of whether or not you challenge. If they really want the Champions League and make the right signings, I would expect the next few seasons to play out pretty much like this one has on the domestic front, especially if they sign the right players defensively.

A lot will also depend on who Real Madrid go for. Van Dijk and Sallah would be the sort of players I expect them to go for this summer as they go through a major rebuild. Liverpool are big and can pay as well as anyone, but Real Madrid are Real Madrid, and they trump everyone in the prestige game.

Edited by Ross.

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'd fully expect players to start looking to leave Liverpool soon enough. Its a short career and another trophy less season (if it happens) will see them want to move on. 

The thing is, what clubs can guarantee winning trophies at the moment? Probably City (who I can't see Liverpool selling too) and Barcelona. Not a very big market.

The thing is, what clubs can guarantee winning trophies at the moment? Probably City (who I can't see Liverpool selling too) and Barcelona. Not a very big market.
Not winning trophies doesnt detract from the pull of say Real Madrid or the financial might of PSG

1 hour ago, Dele said:

I'd fully expect players to start looking to leave Liverpool soon enough. Its a short career and another trophy less season (if it happens) will see them want to move on. 

Do you now Del. If it happens who do you think will go where ? :) 

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Liverpool will finish behind Everton next season, but 39 (thirty nine) points above them this season. 

Were you worried about the mallow pulling you up for being generic Baz ? :D

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Do you now Del. If it happens who do you think will go where ? :) 

Ive no idea. You'd imagine the game changers like Mane would have several suitors. Fabinho might get a move to Barcelona as a long term replacement of Busquets (although he's not as disciplined in the role SB plays) 

Theres only one player that would get in City's team and they already overlooked him due to the asking price. I doubt they'd be willing to pay more than that now, you never know though. 

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

Ive no idea. You'd imagine the game changers like Mane would have several suitors. Fabinho might get a move to Barcelona as a long term replacement of Busquets (although he's not as disciplined in the role SB plays) 

Theres only one player that would get in City's team and they already overlooked him due to the asking price. I doubt they'd be willing to pay more than that now, you never know though. 

I was tempted to stop reading there. 4 players in the team of the year ahead of Man City players and a front 3 combination that score ridiculous numbers of goals answers your last claim.

Van Djik will be at Liverpool for many years to come :)