Premier League 2018-19

13 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The comparison with Ayr isn't really valid.

Brighton have been lucky this year. Huddersfield and Fulham are in the all time bottom 10 for points totals, add in Cardiff on a shoestring budget and you have a good case for this year's bottom 3 being the most gubbins in premier league history.

So it's not really unreasonable for the Brighton board to be unhappy with only finishing 2 points ahead of this dross, particularly after backing Houghton relatively well in the transfer market. Not to the extent of some, but their spending levels are not much less or indeed equal, to the likes of Watford, Newcastle, Bournemouth etc.

He's mostly blown his budget on diddies and failed to get the best out of the half decent ones, resulting in an alarming regression that almost resulted in relegation.

It's all opinions.

For me, a club like Brighton with their budget, to finish outwith the relegation places and reach an FA cup Semi Final is a decent enough season.

When I look at the league table, the only teams I reckon that they could realistically feel that they should be finishing above are possibly Burnley and maybe Bournemouth as they're not bigger in any way than any of the others who did finish above them.

However as a supporter I'd think most would happily trade a couple of league places in return for a day out at Wembley and reaching the Semi Final of a major trophy...............

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Guess it’s whatever floats your boat. Don’t think with the bulging collection of runners up medals that Liverpool have collected in the last few many supporters are keen to aim the bottlers accusation at others. 

I’m quite happy to talk about 31 and 43 points differences though :D

Don't forget the 2 points you dropped at Goodison...

3 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Lad is a bad choice of word on my part, but then English is far from my first language. I've seen both Norwich and Shef Utd play on a fair few occasions and I think both can surprise next year - especially given Stuart Webber (who masterminded Huddersfield's promotion) will continue to helm Norwich' technical department as sporting director and United's approach to playing from the back. I rate both of them higher than the 17/18 Cardiff and Fulham sides.

Fair point on me kicking the -ism hornets' nest in this particular thread, but I've seen that card pulled on Twitter a fair few times this morning - very similar to Hughton's dismissal at Norwich.

Really?!  I honestly thought you were a bloke from Berwick based in the Netherlands, and I'm an English teacher!  I hope you feel appropriately patronised.

For what it's worth, I reckon Hughton would be a great shout for the Celtic job, who have also been pretty rancid since Christmas.

I'd be more inclined to point to the games at Leicester and West Ham than I would to the Everton game. That's where they had the chance to really put it to City and they looked nervous as f**k.

It's where the "bottle" thing is a very valid criticism.

Edited by Principal Flutie

3 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'd be more inclined to point to the games at Leicester and West Ham than I would to the Everton game. That's where they had the chance to really put it to City and they looked nervous as f**k.

Possibly Flutie but I don’t really think you can really point back at previous games the way this one panned out. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

30 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

PREMIER League chiefs have agreed that as Liverpool did so well but still did not win they can carry their points over to the following season.

The club, which ended a period of sustained success 30 years ago, will begin next season with a 97-point head start over their rivals in the hope of making the league competitive.

A spokesman said: “Liverpool have tried ever so hard and their poor fans, whose bedrock belief that they are naturally superior to all other clubs has never wavered, really deserve this.

“We’ve asked City if they mind sharing the trophy but churlishly they’ve refused, like the brash, oil money brats they are, so instead we’re doing the right thing to ensure that Liverpool win next year.

“With almost a hundred point lead they’ll be able to still do things they enjoy, like losing to Crystal Palace, without it ruining everyone’s good time and allowing justice to be done.”

Liverpool fan Nathan Muir, who was raised in Wiltshire, said: “I began supporting Liverpool in 1985 because I thought it was guaranteed they would win everything. It’s not fair that they don’t.

“Other fans will make a fuss but really they know it’s right. Because we’re class.”

An absolutely magnificent piece! Nail, head etc.  I've caught a little of the media wankathon that's remarkably continued today and they still genuinely don't understand why most other fans are laughing at their latest failure. But, but...we got 97 points...:thumsup2

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

PREMIER League chiefs have agreed that as Liverpool did so well but still did not win they can carry their points over to the following season.

The club, which ended a period of sustained success 30 years ago, will begin next season with a 97-point head start over their rivals in the hope of making the league competitive.

A spokesman said: “Liverpool have tried ever so hard and their poor fans, whose bedrock belief that they are naturally superior to all other clubs has never wavered, really deserve this.

“We’ve asked City if they mind sharing the trophy but churlishly they’ve refused, like the brash, oil money brats they are, so instead we’re doing the right thing to ensure that Liverpool win next year.

“With almost a hundred point lead they’ll be able to still do things they enjoy, like losing to Crystal Palace, without it ruining everyone’s good time and allowing justice to be done.”

Liverpool fan Nathan Muir, who was raised in Wiltshire, said: “I began supporting Liverpool in 1985 because I thought it was guaranteed they would win everything. It’s not fair that they don’t.

“Other fans will make a fuss but really they know it’s right. Because we’re class.”

An absolutely magnificent piece! Nail, head etc.  I've caught a little of the media wankathon that's remarkably continued today and they still genuinely don't understand why most other fans are laughing at their latest failure. But, but...we got 97 points...:thumsup2

Mr Soccer Saturday ... :lol: 

48 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Not to mention their failure to win at Old Trafford against a decimated Man United side.

I saw on twitter some quote that was supposedly Klopp saying United dumping Jose was key to the scousers not winning the title...something about he would've parked the bus against City but Ole didn't...although don't know if it's genuine or not

ETA - not genuine...'I’ve received quite a lot of messages about this. To clarify, Klopp didn’t say this. It was just a lighthearted nod to his penchant for creative excuses :lol:'

Edited by 7-2

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Liverpool were lucky to get so many late minute winners and stay in the title race for so long tbh.

You create your own luck in football. You are closer to the truth though Cerby i think we saw that it suited Liverpool to do the chasing. If ultimately that meant that they weren’t quite good enough then so be it. 

42 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
Don't forget the 2 points you dropped at Goodison...

Did that cost them the league title ?

I think it did, but you'd need to ask Rab, he's the expert on all things Everton Li related.

19 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

You create your own luck in football. You are closer to the truth though Cerby i think we saw that it suited Liverpool to do the chasing. If ultimately that meant that they weren’t quite good enough then so be it. 

Funny the fact you're laughing through the tears.

Glory hunting only to fail at the final hurdle.

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think it did, but you'd need to ask Rab, he's the expert on all things Everton Li related.

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You are trying hard Jacko :D. You didn’t answer if you were there or not much going on in the Everton thread today ? 

10 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Funny the fact you're laughing through the tears.

Glory hunting only to fail at the final hurdle.

:lol: ... tears. There’s a lot more important things in life than football slim. 4 years ago I ended the season watching them losing 6-1 at Stoke I think I can cope with this :lol:

Final hurdle eh  ...