Premier League 2018-19

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Wolves spent a ridiculous amount of money for a promoted team. I doubt Brighton have anyone able to inject that amount of cash. 

They both spent around £60m each. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

When did anybody at Brighton say that they should be competing with Man City? Your attempts to build up a ridiculous straw man aren't going to work here.

Sinister Island cult forum for this pish...................

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Wolves spent a ridiculous amount of money for a promoted team. I doubt Brighton have anyone able to inject that amount of cash. But, on the other hand, there’s only so long you can be the Hamilton of the division before you get your comeuppance.

My point was that nobody is expected to bridge that gap. Hence why I followed it with a more realistic target which could make a difference.

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Wolves have some interesting links though which have helped them. I think they're probably a bit of an anomaly, and not a team worth comparing to.

Yes, half the Portuguese national team is always a good start !!

3 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

You suck that Sky TV Premier League Christmas Day sh*te up :lol:

Liverpool won their last 9 games. Man City their last 14 and were just too good unfortunately :)

Not really shite or opinion that can be sucked up.....just sharing a stat that is interesting. Especially as Liverpool fans are always keen to aim the bottlers accusation at everyone else..

As you so rightly point out City won there last 14 games there is no competing with that,.

By wonderful coincidence Liverpools last dropped points was the derby at Goodison

Did Wolves not do a lot of their spending last season to gain promotion then just topped up during the summer?

They also had a lot of “to be paid later deals”, including £32 million on that Raul Jiminez guy and however many millions it was for that keeper who wears 11.

54 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

Not really shite or opinion that can be sucked up.....just sharing a stat that is interesting. Especially as Liverpool fans are always keen to aim the bottlers accusation at everyone else..

As you so rightly point out City won there last 14 games there is no competing with that,.

By wonderful coincidence Liverpools last dropped points was the derby at Goodison

Guess it’s whatever floats your boat. Don’t think with the bulging collection of runners up medals that Liverpool have collected in the last few many supporters are keen to aim the bottlers accusation at others. 

I’m quite happy to talk about 31 and 43 points differences though :D

4 years in a post is unusually long time for a football manager.

By the time he left there were only 6 managers in the league who'd served longer

Jim Bentley(Morecambe)May 2011
Gareth Ainsworth(Wycombe Wanderers)Sep 2012
Eddie Howe(Bournemouth)Oct 2012
Sean Dyche(Burnley)Oct 2012
Mauricio Pochettino(Tottenham Hotspur)May 2014
John Coleman(Accrington Stanley)Sep 2014

Klopp (October 2015)  now move up to 8th longest serving manager in England

4 years in a post is unusually long time for a football manager.
By the time he left there were only 6 managers in the league who'd served longer
Jim Bentley(Morecambe)May 2011
Gareth Ainsworth(Wycombe Wanderers)Sep 2012
Eddie Howe(Bournemouth)Oct 2012
Sean Dyche(Burnley)Oct 2012
Mauricio Pochettino(Tottenham Hotspur)May 2014
John Coleman(Accrington Stanley)Sep 2014

Klopp (October 2015)  now move up to 8th longest serving manager in England

Shouldn’t Klopp be off to Switzerland soon?

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

So have my own team, however as a realist I certainly wouldn't like to see McCall sacked as we also have punched well above our weight with regards budgets etc.

The reality is that like Ayr, Brighton have a very small squad relative to their peers and in the modern game where the emphasis is on fitness and stamina this tends to catch up with teams as the season progresses.

It should also be remembered that Brighton had an excellent FA cup run and Hughton took them all the way to the semi finals where they were ultimately beaten by Man City by only a single goal, surely this should be seen as another major success ??

The comparison with Ayr isn't really valid.

Brighton have been lucky this year. Huddersfield and Fulham are in the all time bottom 10 for points totals, add in Cardiff on a shoestring budget and you have a good case for this year's bottom 3 being the most gubbins in premier league history.

So it's not really unreasonable for the Brighton board to be unhappy with only finishing 2 points ahead of this dross, particularly after backing Houghton relatively well in the transfer market. Not to the extent of some, but their spending levels are not much less or indeed equal, to the likes of Watford, Newcastle, Bournemouth etc.

He's mostly blown his budget on diddies and failed to get the best out of the half decent ones, resulting in an alarming regression that almost resulted in relegation.