Premier League 2018-19

1 minute ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Klopp has taken Liverpool from the wilderness to 2 European finals and the top of table in just over 3 years. Working with the players he had and making excellent recruitment on a smaller budget than his rivals. Wouldn’t swap him for anyone.  

He sounds excellent Man U should go for him.

2 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Klopp has taken Liverpool from the wilderness to 2 European finals and the top of table in just over 3 years. Working with the players he had and making excellent recruitment on a smaller budget than his rivals. Wouldn’t swap him for anyone.  

They were hardly in the wilderness. Just two seasons previously they had gone very close to winning the title - much closer than he has managed.

His win percentage only just scrapes above Roy Evans and Brendan Rodgers. Indeed, it would be worse than Evans if not for this season when his smaller budget has allowed him to buy the most expensive defender in the world and the second most expensive keeper.

He has to deliver at least 1 trophy the year imo.

I don't think downplaying how well Klopp is doing is a good look, but neither is talking about him as a success either. This season is crucial in finding that out. Progress this year is winning a major trophy. If they can't do that, then they haven't really gotten any further than last season, and people would be well within their rights to ask questions at that point. The same as if Klopp can actually win one, people would be quite right to talk about the continued improvement in Liverpool.

As diamonds are forever says, its been recruitment this season. I’ve bleated on about the centre backs. But from the moment that woodward said no to the summer signings, this was a ticking time bomb. Because mourinho would have just taken the huff, his attitude towards the players doesnt sit anymore either.

I joked at work that Wenger could take one last 6 month gig. The pros would be that the football would be better, cons would be that he doesnt have a track record in getting the defence sorted.

Bringing in someone like poch now, could be a mistake. He loves that high intensity, pressing. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the players weren’t fit enough to start doing that now. Maybe in the summer with a pre season behind him they would be.

I’m not defending joses critics of the players either, but calling the players out on stuff sometimes can be helpful, but its not to be worded properly and not done all the time. Unfortunately for jose the wording of it seems to be a skill he lacks, and knowing when to and when not to criticise as well.

11 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

As diamonds are forever says, its been recruitment this season. I’ve bleated on about the centre backs. But from the moment that woodward said no to the summer signings, this was a ticking time bomb. Because mourinho would have just taken the huff, his attitude towards the players doesnt sit anymore either.

Agreed that the summer recruitment must have played a part, especially as Man Utd spent more than 50 million on Fred, who doesn't fit Mourinho's style and nothing on defenders where they are so desperately lacking.  No idea who sanctioned the Fred deal but it doesn't look as though it was Mourinho

51 minutes ago, JMDP said:

They were hardly in the wilderness. Just two seasons previously they had gone very close to winning the title - much closer than he has managed.

His win percentage only just scrapes above Roy Evans and Brendan Rodgers. Indeed, it would be worse than Evans if not for this season when his smaller budget has allowed him to buy the most expensive defender in the world and the second most expensive keeper.

He has to deliver at least 1 trophy the year imo.

Hardly the wilderness? Christ I wish you’d been here to back me up at the time :D

To be fair Roy Hodgson apart, without managing to land the League title, Liverpool haven't recruited badly manger wise at all in the last 25 years. Klopp has turned the club around though the place is absolutely buzzing. 

No denying he spent big last January and in the summer but he’s certainly brought the cash in through selling Coutinho and performance to cover it. 

A trophy would be nice but still not the be all and end all. 

Aye Klopp hasn't got the excuses Pochettino has. One has genuinely built a team to being title challengers, the other has come in and spent over £380m to reach an "elite" stage, Guardiola has spent just £120m more than Klopp.

Klopp has spent more at Liverpool than Mourinho did at United. Although, net spend is a far different story.

The only mangers in the EPL era's history to spend more in a single spell at a club are Wenger, Ferguson, and Guardiola.

10 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Surely a trophy with that sort of money he has spent is a must?

You don't expect to spend 75 million ( I'm sure it was that ) on a defender and still become runner up ?

Silly money he has spent ( yes he has got silly money in also ) however for what he has spent surely at least one bit of a silverware should be happening ?

To be fair, there's teams paying sillier money than them, and paying much better wages.

However, this idea of Klopp going from strength to strength definitely depends on them winning a trophy this season. It's something that keeps on getting brought up, and will carry absolutely no weight if they don't have some honours.

ETA: Guardiola's City team are one who you can't say they'd have no shame in finishing behind. And when you look at the competition in the CL, there's a few teams there where you'd say the same thing. So I don't think winning a trophy is the be all and end all for the team on the whole, so long as they stay competitive in pretty much everything. My main gripe is in the thing I mentioned in the wee paragraph above.

Edited by Principal Flutie

54 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Hardly the wilderness? Christ I wish you’d been here to back me up at the time :D

To be fair Roy Hodgson apart, without managing to land the League title, Liverpool haven't recruited badly manger wise at all in the last 25 years. Klopp has turned the club around though the place is absolutely buzzing. 

No denying he spent big last January and in the summer but he’s certainly brought the cash in through selling Coutinho and performance to cover it. 

A trophy would be nice but still not the be all and end all. 

No denying klopp is doing a great job in terms of the buzz but considering the lack of trophies at Liverpool in the last 10 years there will come a point where he'll need more to his legacy than just  a decent bloke who has stopped liverpool being shite. Most of the great managerial reigns start with a cup win at least ,getting a winners feel to the place. You're right its not a disaster if he wins nothing this year but for me that doesnt make him a great manager either.

Hopefully a trophy or 2 will come boys. Despite not winning the league Liverpool still hoovered up quite a few cups in the 90s and 00s including 5 in 6 months in 2001 :) ... but only 1 since in 2006 is a barren run. 

Yes he has spent big on a few but that’s up against years and years of Man City, Man United and Chelsea heavily investing. Liverpool had near administration in 2010 and many years of lower spending. 

Could put it that with net spend of only £120 million Klopp has his side sitting top of the Premier League off the back of finishing runners up in the Champions League Final. An FA Cup or League Cup (If only they’d won that penalty shoot out)  would be nice but I wouldn’t swap for  competing so strongly in the big 2 competitions.  

Any way ... Manchester United ... :)

There’s a tendency for people to be very selective when talking about how much a manager has spent. Take Pep, fair enough he’s built a fantastic team but he’s spent a f**k tonne of money in the process.

Not necessarily defending Klopp there, he definitely needs to win something soon, but think Pep gets off with it quite lightly in comparison to a lot of others.

Edited by eez-eh