Premier League 2018-19

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46197761

Hopefully my work gives me 2x my annual salary when I leave my current job!

This definitely stinks of a golden muzzle.  He obviously knows stuff that would be immoral at the very least so makes sense to pay him For confidentiality other wise why would you pay it if your werent obligated to.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46197761

Hopefully my work gives me 2x my annual salary when I leave my current job!

Unsurprisingly the comments on that page aren't overly supportive of the move. 

Imagine the uproar in Scotland if each of our clubs were asked to chip in for Cockwomble's pay off?

34 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Unsurprisingly the comments on that page aren't overly supportive of the move. 

Imagine the uproar in Scotland if each of our clubs were asked to chip in for Cockwomble's pay off?

Depends if it was a bonus or redundancy payment.

Div posted this article on twitter and I think it sums up why I struggle to get overly enthusiastic about the Premier League
https://www.football365.com/news/the-truth-we-have-gained-nothing-from-the-premier-league

That's absolutely fantastic.

Anyone fancy defending the all-conquering premier league?

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Div posted this article on twitter and I think it sums up why I struggle to get overly enthusiastic about the Premier League

https://www.football365.com/news/the-truth-we-have-gained-nothing-from-the-premier-league

That article is totally accurate but it's about 20 years too late, especially for England.

That some are treating this bonus for Scudamore as some sort of watershed moment of realisation as to what football down South has become is astounding in itself to be honest.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

That's absolutely fantastic.

Anyone fancy defending the all-conquering premier league?

The majority of them on the comments page WERE actually defending it, which of course is pretty sad in itself, however it's just another confirmation of the fact that wider society is completely selfish and only cares about themselves and money.

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

The saltiness behind some of those comments. Ooft. Striking a nerve there.

Wholeheartedly agree with the overall sentiment. I met the recent announcement that a several European big brands were plotting a breakaway with an Alan Partridge shrug. I'd be more surprised if they weren't looking at ways to make more money that could include a super mega global franchise, ruthlessly efficient at extracting money from across the planet.

I'm close to 30 now and will have watched a good few thousand hours of football over my lifetime; I think that, for all that there's a lot of variation within a match (statistically, aesthetically, whatever) a lot of matches also follow certain patterns which mean that, at a certain point, you've seen more or less everything possible in a professional football game. There are exceptions (the balloon beach ball goal thing from Sunderland, the odd foot bazooka rifled in from 40 yards, random acts of violence, all good shit) but imo football is a pretty repetitive sport. Nowhere near the level of, say, professional cycling or NASCAR or the like, and not scripted like pseudosports such as the WWE, but repetitive nevertheless.

When I realised that it sort of seemed mental to me to be watching football between teams I've no emotional investment in. Other people can, and do, still watch for appreciation of the quality, and fair enough, but after a certain point I've just stopped caring, even if something unexpected has happened in a match or there's a 4 goal thriller or late drama. 

I'm no superfan myself - been going along to Firhill more out of habit than anything else over the past few months, which in themselves have helped to kill of my last bits of enthusiasm for football remaining from when Igot into it - but I like the idea of more fans going down the FCUM route, although even at that iirc they've had a fair few troubles since formation.

I think quite a lot of other people on the hype train are just watching the Premiership out of habit too, rather than genuinely getting invested in it.

Football, concerts, music festivals, competition for wages with your neighbour, unaffordable housing and land barons charging people rent to pay their own mortgages -  you name it, money ruins it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 19/11/2018 at 16:47, Melanius Mullarkey said:

“Stop sky subscriptions, make a stand, that will show them”

Go on then. Still waiting.....

Ultimately despite what it’s become we still can’t get enough of it at the end of the day. 

On 20/11/2018 at 19:26, Rab B Nesbit said:

Ultimately despite what it’s become we still can’t get enough of it at the end of the day. 

Cancelled my sky sports subscription,  basically stopped going to games, stopped, or told others to stop buying any type of merchandise a few years ago now. All involved in the EPL can f**k right off, it’s utter shite