Premier League 2018-19

15 hours ago, Mastermind said:

You’ll never hear me say that the EPL is the best league in the world - I challenge anyone to prove what the best league is. It could be La Liga, it could be EPL, it could be Bundesliga. There’s no answer.

What is fact is that the EPL is most watched league on the planet, of that there is no doubt.

There is an answer champ - it's la Liga.  Google it.  

15 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Well said. Neutrals just can’t get enough of it from Scotland to Australia :)

People who know the game are increasingly turning away from it.  The product just isn't very good.  Especially when there are better alternatives.  The EPL is just a marketing success.  A bit like coca cola.

People who know the game are increasingly turning away from it.  The product just isn't very good.  Especially when there are better alternatives.  The EPL is just a marketing success.  A bit like coca cola.
Is this just in your warped mind or do you have any evidence?

44 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Is this just in your warped mind or do you have any evidence?

Well it's the richest league by far but also far from the best.  It's simply a fact la Liga is the number one ranked league in Europe and has been for a long time.  The EPL fell to as low as fourth recently.

Viewing figures in Britain have fallen from peak a few years ago, and the record of English teams in Europe the last thirty years is pretty awful.  These are just facts champ.  

I cant believe anyone actually thinks the EPL wont be all over an opportunity to expand into the US.

Of course they will? Why wouldnt they?

Despite some folk on here being of the opinion that you cant pay Sky to watch EPL and also criticise it, you actually can, so with that in mind, the EPL is rapidly detatching itself from any base of reality. Players are ebing paid ludicrous numbers and transfer fees are getting stupid, but IMO what iv said for a while will kill it off for a lot of people has already started. The interchanging of top players between the top clubs. It used to be so rare but in the last few seasons it seems to be more and more common.

With that, the clubs lose their identity and uniqueness and become simple franchises of the EPL. A show pony league where competition is secondary.

Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I cant believe anyone actually thinks the EPL wont be all over an opportunity to expand into the US.

Of course they will? Why wouldnt they?

Despite some folk on here being of the opinion that you cant pay Sky to watch EPL and also criticise it, you actually can, so with that in mind, the EPL is rapidly detatching itself from any base of reality. Players are ebing paid ludicrous numbers and transfer fees are getting stupid, but IMO what iv said for a while will kill it off for a lot of people has already started. The interchanging of top players between the top clubs. It used to be so rare but in the last few seasons it seems to be more and more common.

With that, the clubs lose their identity and uniqueness and become simple franchises of the EPL. A show pony league where competition is secondary.

Just my two cents.

Here’s the main reason why they won’t ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6068999/amp/Premier-League-warned-La-Ligas-lead-playing-games-abroad.html

Granted on the field it remains 2nd best for now but off it the Premier League dwarfes La Liga in terms of viewing figures, attendances etc. On here it’s all about the Premier League. 

Criticise it if you want but it’s slightly hypocritical. Cancel your subscription and go and play golf or something instead if you don’t like it :D.

I go to a Premier League game most weeks and have been to 2 European finals in 3 years, I’m probably enjoying it more now than ever before :)

2 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Here’s the main reason why they won’t ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6068999/amp/Premier-League-warned-La-Ligas-lead-playing-games-abroad.html

Granted on the field it remains 2nd best for now but off it the Premier League dwarfes La Liga in terms of viewing figures, attendances etc. On here it’s all about the Premier League. 

Criticise it if you want but it’s slightly hypocritical. Cancel your subscription and go and play golf or something instead if you don’t like it :D.

I go to a Premier League game most weeks and have been to 2 European finals in 3 years, I’m probably enjoying it more now than ever before :)

Why is it hypocritical? Its absolute unqualified bollocks to say that, and seems to be based purely on the fact that its another opportunity for you to shoe horn in the irrelevant fact that you attend EPL matches. I dont fucking care. You are a customer of LFC and as such you have every right to criticise what you get for your admission fee. Likewise with me and Sky or BT. I also have the right to criticise the movie channel offerings btw (or do I have to go to Hollywood and produce a couple myself first?)

Sorry but when you talk about the EPL you come across as the purest of fanboys. I mean, even making the arguement that its hypocritical to piunt out shortcoming in the quality of the product is brainwashing of some magnitude. 

And more than half the clubs could make a profit with no fans at games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

If it’s about making more money and if the cost is pissing off the odd fan in England to gain another X million followers and their dollars else where, they’ll do it. The EPL is a massive money making machine and will only continue to expand. It can’t sit still and rely on shafting fans out of £100s on season tickets and 25 different strips every season.  They will go where the money tells them to go, not what the fans tell them to do.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why is it hypocritical? Its absolute unqualified bollocks to say that, and seems to be based purely on the fact that its another opportunity for you to shoe horn in the irrelevant fact that you attend EPL matches. I dont fucking care. You are a customer of LFC and as such you have every right to criticise what you get for your admission fee. Likewise with me and Sky or BT. I also have the right to criticise the movie channel offerings btw (or do I have to go to Hollywood and produce a couple myself first?)

Sorry but when you talk about the EPL you come across as the purest of fanboys. I mean, even making the arguement that its hypocritical to piunt out shortcoming in the quality of the product is brainwashing of some magnitude. 

If you don’t like it don’t watch it. There are 1000s if other things to do with your spare time. It’s not irrelevant when you sit in your armchair and make things up about supporters from a league that you have only ever experienced on your 40 inch Samsung. Certainly no customer or fanboy I attend football at all levels, lots of it up here, and I enjoy the EPL the most. 

If you don’t like it don’t watch it. There are 1000s if other things to do with your spare time. It’s not irrelevant when you sit in your armchair and make things up about supporters from a league that you have only ever experienced on your 40 inch Samsung. Certainly no customer or fanboy I attend football at all levels, lots of it up here, and I enjoy the EPL the most. 
You seem to think your opinion is more relevant because you attend games. Its not. I can see things I dont like within the league that I feel will ultimately f**k it for fans. I can see a narrative I dislike and dont agree with. None of that means I cant weigh up cost against enjoyment of actual football matches. Find it odd that you seem to be able to do that for me.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
28 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

You seem to think your opinion is more relevant because you attend games. Its not. I can see things I dont like within the league that I feel will ultimately f**k it for fans. I can see a narrative I dislike and dont agree with. None of that means I cant weigh up cost against enjoyment of actual football matches. Find it odd that you seem to be able to do that for me.

Sorry but you are just kidding yourself on here :lol:. I’ve no idea how you can think of making sweeping statements on fan enjoyment when you’ve only seen it on the telly. 

I think Middlesbrough (if they were in the PL...) would be one of the few clubs I’d be unsure about wanting to go abroad as they’ve got a genuine fan in charge, but even then I’m unsure as it would be hard to turn down millions of pounds for one game (they would also be an incredibly boring choice for fans abroad so wouldn’t get picked luckily for me anyway). 

But to think club owners of he big teams who have no actual affection for their club other than it’s P&L sheet would turn down the opportunity to make huge money on one game is rubbish. As someone who has experienced the EPL and EFL plenty (maybe this allows me to have an opinion, probably some reason that I still don’t though) it’s fairly clear that they’ll pounce on this. The big clubs don’t care about whether they fill their stadiums with locals or tourists, so why would this be a step too far?