Premier League 2018-19

10 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

You’ll never hear me say that the EPL is the best league in the world - I challenge anyone to prove what the best league is. It could be La Liga, it could be EPL, it could be Bundesliga. There’s no answer.

What is fact is that the EPL is most watched league on the planet, of that there is no doubt.

Well said. Neutrals just can’t get enough of it from Scotland to Australia :)

And they will take full advantage of that and reap the rewards of taking the product overseas.

This is, of course, depending on how the La Liga experiment goes. If that turns out to be a total waste of effort, then I'd imagine that nobody else is going to bother.

Just now, throbber said:

What’s the point in having domestic football leagues if you’re going to play the games in a foreign country?

I'd imagine that the point is that they'd be paid handsomely for the right.

I don't mind the idea of one game being overseas but that could start us down a bit of a rabbit hole.

9 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Hmm. I think they’d have had the chance first but know it’s a non starter. 

I think you’re probably overestimating the power of the average fan, and probably also how many supporters inside the likes of the Emirates, Anfield etc every week actually are your average fans now. Listened to Talksport for half an hour coming in this morning, expecting it to be people phoning in raging about the idea. Every single one was praising it and hoping the PL jumps in quick.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

What’s the point in having domestic football leagues if you’re going to play the games in a foreign country?

If I wanted to start a European super league, this is the kind of thing I'd begin with. Get people used to the idea of teams playing league games in other countries, then once they accept that its a smaller step to the idea of teams playing league football against teams from those other countries.

Edited by Uncle Psychosis

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you’re probably overestimating the power of the average fan, and probably also how many supporters inside the likes of the Emirates, Anfield etc every week actually are your average fans now. Listened to Talksport for half an hour coming in this morning, expecting it to be people phoning in raging about the idea. Every single one was praising it and hoping the PL jumps in quick.

Sky are basically running Talksport these days though so it's no surprise all calls would be suit their agenda.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

If I wanted to start a European super league, this is the kind of thing I'd begin with. Get people used to the idea of teams playing league games in other countries, then once they accept that its a smaller step to the idea of teams playing league football against teams from those other countries.

Don't know if it's the real reason or not but I've read a couple of times that the summer international cup nonsense is a testing ground for competitive matches abroad. I believe it took a bit of a dent this year as the World Cup meant fewer names playing though. The absolute top level clubs may be a big enough draw in their own right to pull foreign fans in but the likes of a Tottenham without Harry Kane, not so much yet.

I think it's just a matter of time before national boundaries are breached. The fact they've got as far as actually taking a Spanish league game abroad shows how much they are determined to deliver actual, genuine football matches to the new markets that are past the stage of being happy with just buying all the kit.  Look at where the new English club owners and sponsors are from.  They're not buying in for the love of the game. Domestic fans are obviously counting less and less and those financial reports from two seasons ago hammer that home. Will be interesting to see how many clubs could be non-fan dependant 12 months on.  Silvio Berlusconi's statement from about 20 years ago has come true. When asked about the effect on the fans of increasing TV coverage...the fans? they will just be the scenery.  

28 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Don't know if it's the real reason or not but I've read a couple of times that the summer international cup nonsense is a testing ground for competitive matches abroad. I believe it took a bit of a dent this year as the World Cup meant fewer names playing though. The absolute top level clubs may be a big enough draw in their own right to pull foreign fans in but the likes of a Tottenham without Harry Kane, not so much yet.

I think it's just a matter of time before national boundaries are breached. The fact they've got as far as actually taking a Spanish league game abroad shows how much they are determined to deliver actual, genuine football matches to the new markets that are past the stage of being happy with just buying all the kit.  Look at where the new English club owners and sponsors are from.  They're not buying in for the love of the game. Domestic fans are obviously counting less and less and those financial reports from two seasons ago hammer that home. Will be interesting to see how many clubs could be non-fan dependant 12 months on.  Silvio Berlusconi's statement from about 20 years ago has come true. When asked about the effect on the fans of increasing TV coverage...the fans? they will just be the scenery.  

There was a BBC Sport article earlier in the week showing that 12 Premier League clubs could turn a profit without their fans. 

What was most interesting was that the big clubs were absent from it, with the exception of Spurs. 

10 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You mean like Sevilla who hosed Liverpool in the Europa league final?  La Liga has been the number one ranked league in Europe for about twenty years champ.  It shits all over the EPL. Adele sells more records than Jimi Hendrix it doesn't mean she's better.

Adele is still alive tbf.

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Link to story?

Go on Twitter, search for Bobby Madley, it's quite horrifying, tbh.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

There was a story on the BBC the other day that stated that 10 of the 20 Premier League clubs would have still turned a significant profit even if their stadium had been completely empty for the entirety of last season. "The average fan" (i.e. he working class, local boy of yore) means absolutely jizz all to the clubs now, long gone are the days where the crowd was the lifeblood of the club. They can survive without you, they know it, and therefore they will do what ever they fucking want.

20 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Go on Twitter, search for Bobby Madley, it's quite horrifying, tbh.

There was a story on the BBC the other day that stated that 10 of the 20 Premier League clubs would have still turned a significant profit even if their stadium had been completely empty for the entirety of last season. "The average fan" (i.e. he working class, local boy of yore) means absolutely jizz all to the clubs now, long gone are the days where the crowd was the lifeblood of the club. They can survive without you, they know it, and therefore they will do what ever they fucking want.

They won’t.