Transfers and Predictions new season

I know it’s pretty early and most teams are not even back to pre-season yet but has there been any transfer activity from any teams and whats our thoughts on potential league winners or top 4 finishes? Will it be the usual suspects or will there be that team that maybe surprises everyone, who’ll be weak? Who’ll be strong?I’m looking forward to seeing some quality pre season action before it all gets underway.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The men from Castle Douglas will just be as strong as last season. I think Newton Stewart might struggle with no word of a manager . Be interesting to see what Creetown have to offer with there new management. Wigtown back in the league what will they have to offer ? Will it be a new team? Same management? Old faces? Could be an interesting season in the south .

• 4 weeks later...

Saints following in the footsteps of Threave this season??
Splashing the cash on Newton Stewart’s best players, even snapping up their manager who I know would be a good fit to take over the reigns at St Mary’s in the future.
Threave done it last season spending big to get Saints best players.
Where’s the loyalty from some of these players?

Saints following in the footsteps of Threave this season??
Splashing the cash on Newton Stewart’s best players, even snapping up their manager who I know would be a good fit to take over the reigns at St Mary’s in the future.
Threave done it last season spending big to get Saints best players.
Where’s the loyalty from some of these players?

It all comes down to money now ..

It’s called rebuilding saints are only doin whit got done to them last season it’s a nock  on effect they wanted gid player just they were aw at yin club and as fir spending pockets of money I don’t think so theyve never done that maybe just want tae cum to a club on the up again ask the players that are gan aboot that looking forward tae new season mon the saints

It’s called rebuilding saints are only doin whit got done to them last season it’s a nock  on effect they wanted gid player just they were aw at yin club and as fir spending pockets of money I don’t think so theyve never done that maybe just want tae cum to a club on the up again ask the players that are gan aboot that looking forward tae new season mon the saints

Saints have been paying for years, the players who have been signing have been saying this...

It’s money.. money talks .

I reckon itl be same teams up top lochar and threave both got strong squads and strikers who bang in 40-50 goals a season , saints need a better start than last year and will be up there , stranraer reserves will beat any1 on there day but lack consistency as still alot of young players , mids am unsure if still have same squad? The wigtownshire 3 teams newton wigtown creetown seem to be all struggling to have big squads which will tell over season once injurys suspensions kick in

On 09/07/2018 at 15:00, Mr Kirkcudbright said:

A Club on the up you say , maybe so and I certainly hope for their sake after the considerable financial outlay this Summer !!!!! So the hefty signing on fees you reckon played no part in their decisions to move to St Mary’s hahahaha and if you doubt it ask anyone - it’s common knowledge and reportedly came from several of the ‘new’ players themselves. Good luck keeping all this expensively assembled squad together once a fair few realise they can’t even get a seat on the bench - I look forward to the exodus once those surplus to requirements realise the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Other teams elsewhere will be rebuilding too but please don’t flatter yourself in the belief all these guys arrived at Saints just by chance - financial incentive was the major reason Mr Kirkcudbright and everyone else out there knows it too - enjoy your season guys 

17 hours ago, neily1690 said:

Every year teams get accused of splashing cash threave won league and people said it, when wigtown won the league it was same,

When the players themselves tell you straight my guess is the stories just might have a little truth in them don’t you think ? No one is naive enough to believe there isn’t and hasn’t been money involved in certain Clubs for some time , it’s pretty much common knowledge even from within these teams but as Info says fair play to the individuals that benefit although I’m not sure where that will eventually leave the rest.

The only thing these teams can achieve in my opinion is SOSFL title as none of them will come remotely close to winning any play offs against the East winner for donkeys years to come by the look of the all round strength they have within their ranks nowadays. Good luck to those splashing thousands to blow their own trumpets at being the biggest fish in a fairly small pond when they’ve left the majority of the opposition not only trying to replace major players with guys on a par but trying to find anyone full stop to step in to the void these circumstances have created.

I for one hope they’re truly happy at not only filling their own ranks way beyond any one teams needs but leaving multiple other Clubs stuggling to even assemble anything resembling a squad to compete with. Only my opinion  Neily1690 but one I’m sure you deep down know to be true and a great many other followers of South not only share but know to be beyond doubt 

When the players themselves tell you straight my guess is the stories just might have a little truth in them don’t you think ? No one is naive enough to believe there isn’t and hasn’t been money involved in certain Clubs for some time , it’s pretty much common knowledge even from within these teams but as Info says fair play to the individuals that benefit although I’m not sure where that will eventually leave the rest.
The only thing these teams can achieve in my opinion is SOSFL title as none of them will come remotely close to winning any play offs against the East winner for donkeys years to come by the look of the all round strength they have within their ranks nowadays. Good luck to those splashing thousands to blow their own trumpets at being the biggest fish in a fairly small pond when they’ve left the majority of the opposition not only trying to replace major players with guys on a par but trying to find anyone full stop to step in to the void these circumstances have created.
I for one hope they’re truly happy at not only filling their own ranks way beyond any one teams needs but leaving multiple other Clubs stuggling to even assemble anything resembling a squad to compete with. Only my opinion  Neily1690 but one I’m sure you deep down know to be true and a great many other followers of South not only share but know to be beyond doubt 

Clubs are payn money to players i agree, im just speaking for when we won league with wigtown we got fuel money only

To follow up on a few points already made here ahd think it's fair to say that if Wigtown, Newton and Creetown  manage to put a team on the field and play out the full season they'll all deserve way more plaudits than say Saints or Threave would if they won every game they played, although that might b a struggle :-(

32 minutes ago, neily1690 said:

Clubs are payn money to players i agree, im just speaking for when we won league with wigtown we got fuel money only

I’ve been told this and fair play that some still do it the proper way - I was merely pointing out that the Stewartry Clubs previously mentioned clearly both do and it does make it really hard for others not only to compete but to struggle on ! 

Archived