Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

I fancy Liverpool to beat Bayern. I think Bayern have stood still while other teams have progressed over recent years, but that said, they absolutely know what it takes to up their game at the right times. Real Madrid have defied domestic form in Europe plenty over the last few seasons so they wont be rolled over easily.

Juve v Atletico will be intense as f**k.

Tottenham v Dortmund will be footballing bedlam and great fun to watch.

PSG are going to do horrible, horrible things to Man United and it is going to be very very funny. I hope Paul Pogba declares his intention to sign for them by taking a PSG shirt at OT after a 5 goal hounding and putting it on as he claps the French fans and does a wee dance with Mbappe

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

What sort of draw would you have liked to have made it not a shite draw?  There's some very good ties there.

I think I've just reached an oversaturation level with this competition tbh.

A lot can change in 2 months - on current form I'd fancy Dortmund but how will they be playing in February? Will Spurs make a few signings in January? Will Man Utd have a new manager? Will Kovac still be at Bayern? At the moment I think the last 8 will be Liverpool, PSG, Man City, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Roma and Dortmund. But who knows.

Most people are very harsh on PSG, probably because they hate them. They always seem to draw a top top side in the round of 16 (Real, Barca etc) and people label them as ‘bottlers’ and ‘can’t do it in Europe’.

Last year in the group stages they were excellent, absolutely destroyed Celtic, Anderlecht and Bayern before going out to the eventual winners, when they had Neymar missing for the second leg.

This season they topped the group of death and were quality in all of their games bar the first Liverpool game. They lost 3-2 away, without Verratti who makes them tick, and Neymar (their best player this season) wasn’t fully fit at that point.

They’re a top side but I don’t think they can go all the way. They’ll murder United though.
Neymar is a greeting faced cheating wee p***k

17 minutes ago, nsr said:

Rab would take a cheese grater to his own face to get Mourinho managing Lolverpool.

Lolverpool eh ... whatever happened to that :D

The old Jose to Liverpool debate was had many a time in the boozer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
UEFA are seriously considering moving CL games to the weekends... If this goes ahead, this will wreak havoc in national leagues.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/uefa-considering-huge-change-champions-13969643
If this goes ahead I'd assume it'd be evening kick offs owing to the blackout rules on no 3pm games on TV in the UK.

Utter farce of an idea regardless that needs to get in sea and float down to the depths of Marianas trench

2 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I suppose it wouldn’t be as bad as an international break as midweek games either side would still be able to take place however I don’t see what’s wrong with the current setup. It works just fine currently.

Quarter to 8 in the UK on a Tuesday night in China isn’t really all that lucrative 

21 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

If this goes ahead I'd assume it'd be evening kick offs owing to the blackout rules on no 3pm games on TV in the UK.

Utter farce of an idea regardless that needs to get in sea and float down to the depths of Marianas trench

It will be a challenge to work around rules like different blackouts in different countries. And what about the rule that a national top flight game can't be live on TV at the same time as the CL? That and possibly getting lower revenue from games against top teams as they have to play midweek instead of in weekends can really hurt the smaller clubs...

Yes, get this awful idea in the sea. But unfortunately, I expect it to go ahead...

Edited by Marten

Meh. Maybe it's just me but it's been a long time since I cared in the slightest about the Champions League. Even longer since I actually sat down to watch one of the games.
Its getting that way. As discussed last season, its no longer for the likes of us. Its becoming a formula 1 style corporate-fest. A show pony of a tournament tailored in every way to ensure maximum sponsor exposure.

That said, it has produced some belting 2 legged rounds in recent years but even then, you feel as if you are playing along with some Hollywood storyline rather than genuine football.

I am considering cancelling my BT sport, and tbh the biggest aspect of that is that they canned the Scottish football. Couldnt give a f**k that I wont see the Chmpoins league really other than the odd night where Mrs B isnt about and Im bored.

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Unless you’re playing them at lunchtime (due to the 3pm blackout) then it’s never gonna suit China.

Fair enough.  Point is it’s all about money and saying it’s fine as it is does not mean its as profitable as it could be.  That’s the be all and end all here.