Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

With it being a neutral venue, how do they decide who gets the "away" goals? Surely a huge advantage and never been sure how they actually decide that?

It's golden goals in the final m9.

58 minutes ago, nsr said:

If Lolverpool fail yet again, they should probably just give up. Or be forced to.

After what I experienced last week nsr there will be no giving up :D ... 

19F657BB-04E1-46B8-8212-F6933162A2F1.jpeg

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Fairly sure Mozza has whooshed Dele and Rab here.

I think you are maybe right... Mozza was in a bit quick for my liking, I would have liked that one to marinate for a while and see.... 

7 hours ago, Dele said:

If true I shall be taking a few days off and considering my future on the forum. 

Don’t do anything rash Del. You are clearly a newbie still finding your feet on here but I think you’ve got some potential. 

Guest JTS98

It's been a funny week with the football for me, mainly realising just how utterly out of touch and dinosaurish I am.

I have the misfortune of working with some Liverpool fans and one Spurs fan. It's been a tough week.

Cards on the table, I despise the Champions League.

It is the classic example of the modern commodification of anything good in life. It is a disgusting celebration of brand and celebrity that commits the ultimate sin of revelling in history and tradition while ultimately pissing all over both of those things. It is taking something that used to be fantastic and popularising it by removing the very scarcity and openness that made it great in the first place. It is utterly degrading to leagues that don't contain enough celebs, and, even worse, its ill-gotten gains distort those leagues out of sight, leaving them unbalanced and making them essentially a waste of time. The Champions League is all that is wrong with modern sport, modern culture, modern economics. It is protectionism for the rich and condescending poison for the footballing poor. The worst thing about it is how popular it is, proving what an utter c**t your average person is. Seeding is good. Seeding is natural. Keeping big clubs apart is good. It is natural. Keep small clubs out. Who wants to see Malmo anyway? Die. Fucking die.

Anyway...

The main way I've noticed that I'm out of touch is that none of the Liverpool or Spurs fans I know seem to be in any way embarrassed about referring to their club as 'Champions of Europe' if they win this thing. I find this utterly preposterous. I'm in my mid-thirties, yet I hadn't even started primary school last time Liverpool won the English league. My father was at primary school last time Spurs won the league. Alfredo di Stefano has won a league title more recently than Spurs.

This is a ridiculous situation and I find it genuinely weird how few people seem bothered by it.

Sport has never been clean and football has never been honest. But it survived for a long time with an open competition where champions could fight it out among themselves, even though that often meant the 'secondary' UEFA Cup was actually the stronger competition and the harder to win. But European football had a competition that gave it a winner. It gave it a club that had bettered all others in its own country and then come out on top among all the other clubs that had done that same. We don't have that any more. That's a shame.

I understand brand and celebrity is now what counts. But UEFA should retire that glorious big trophy rather than giving it to sides whose achievements do not deserve it. It is a disgrace that the European Cup will be held aloft in 2019 by the captain of a club whose goalkeeper was able to pick up a passback the last time they won a league.

f**k UEFA, f**k the Champions League, f**k Sky TV, f**k the sponsors, f**k celebrity-following fan boys.

That'll be all. As you were.