Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Yeah.  English club football is clearly in a pretty strong place at the moment.  It's the ultimate result of having millions of pounds artificially pumped into the league, but at the same time, Liverpool gave Barcelona a bit of a doing, and Spurs were genuinely excellent tonight, and in the tournament so far.  

What'll make it absolutely insufferable is if the national team reaches the same level of dominance.  

I don't mind too much English clubs doing well, they're full of players and managers from all over the world and as you say the money is the main factor.  Totally agree its the national side I want to see chased every time they play.  They have some cracking young players but hugely overachieved last year and aren't a threat in the next two tournaments imo.

Yeah.  English club football is clearly in a pretty strong place at the moment.  It's the ultimate result of having millions of pounds artificially pumped into the league, but at the same time, Liverpool gave Barcelona a bit of a doing, and Spurs were genuinely excellent tonight, and in the tournament so far.  
What'll make it absolutely insufferable is if the national team reaches the same level of dominance.  
Going by the success of their youth teams and performances since the World Cup (I still wouldn't include their performances at it), I'm sorry to say they might be getting there.

Just now, accies1874 said:
3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Going by the success of their youth teams and performances since the World Cup (I still wouldn't include their performances at it), I'm sorry to say they might be getting there.

They're better than they were but that generation isn't ready yet, France own international football for the time being.  Brazil coming good again too.

There would be something quite ironic if Spurs - constantly given stick by Arsenal and other Premier League fans for struggling to win silverware - won the biggest one of them all.

As far as all English finals go this is bearable. Two likeable sides with likeable managers - one has a Scot playing for them and one has never been to a final, never mind lift the trophy.

Odds on the final being a 0-0 borefest?

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

A complete throw away CL final contested by no mark outfits.
Like the time when Greece won Euro 2004 this will be consigned to minter history.

Champions League final contested by two teams who were last national champions in 1960 and 1989 !!!

UEFA need to change the tournaments name.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

There would be something quite ironic if Spurs - constantly given stick by Arsenal and other Premier League fans for struggling to win silverware - won the biggest one of them all.

As far as all English finals go this is bearable. Two likeable sides with likeable managers - one has a Scot playing for them and one has never been to a final, never mind lift the trophy.

One of the best things about tonight is the reaction that Arsenal fans will have.  Alan Davies, where is your smug wee podcast now?

Spurs haven't won the league since 1961.

Liverpool haven't won the league since 1990.

A pretty unique Champions league final. 

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....
Meh. Grangemouth Bairn beat me to it.

16 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I think if Chelsea and Arsenal make the Europa League Final, there will be nine English teams in Europe next season!

Liverpool and Spurs have both already qualified for the Champions League (well, barring an 8-goal swing in the case of the latter).

If Chelsea win the Europa League, then it's as you were: top 4 in the CL, 5th, 6th and 7th in the Europa League (or 5th, 6th and Watford if they win the FA Cup).

If Arsenal win the Europa League, then it's top 4 + Arsenal in the Champions League, and the number of Europa League places reduced by one. 

The  only scenario that can give England nine teams in Europe is if English teams win both the Champions League and the Europa League, and neither qualify for any European competition through domestic means. In that situation, it would be:

1-3, CL winner, EL winner: Champions League
4, 5, FA Cup winner*, EFL Cup winner*: Europa League

*Or next league position if either winner is already in 1-5 (but not if either winner is the CL/EL winner).

Seems quite clear...

Edited by The Master

I’m going to get behind Liverpool if they lose the league as 2002-03 taught me that losing a European final and narrowly losing the league on the last day to a financially doped club isn’t fun.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

2019 and the Ev no longer exist ... talk about reinventing yourself :lol: