Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
33 minutes ago, Kuro said:
That doesn't mean he should have won it in three attempts though does it?  Its even more of a stretch to suggest three semi finals in three years is bad going.  Man City spent hundreds of millions to not get out of the group stage a couple of times.  Its quite a hard tournament to win you know.

The greatest Manager in the World would have though.

Not necessarily, that's kind of the point.  

13 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Yup, the same man city team that just got papped out the CL by spurs

As for the squad he "built" how many players in his first CL win at barca did he bring to the club? 

7 minutes ago, Kuro said:

I just can't be bothered with people like you.  Think whatever you want, what does it matter.

Of the players who started the final, only Gerard Pique was signed by Guardiola. Busquets was promoted after playing for Barca B under him.

Messi already had over 100 club appearances, and scored 6 in 9 in the CL the season before he took over.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Of the players who started the final, only Gerard Pique was signed by Guardiola. Busquets was promoted after playing for Barca B under him.

Messi already had over 100 club appearances, and scored 6 in 9 in the CL the season before he took over.

Do some more research.  I'll give you a wee help, look at who left the club.

Despite my views on Pep, I'm willing to accept Busquets as one of his. He was the one who made him what he is.
I'll never doubt Pep as a coach. As a manager, I have serious doubts.

C’mon, I don’t buy into “the greatest manager in the world” shite either, but it can’t be denied that he is an damn good manager in general.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

C’mon, I don’t buy into “the greatest manager in the world” shite either, but it can’t be denied that he is an damn good manager in general.

Another in his long line of "look at me, I'm controversial" bullshit. 

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

There's a difference between "damn good manager in general" and how highly others view him though. You can't stroll leagues the way he does if you're not a good manager.

He’s undoubtedly a great manager but there’s a vast number of people who seem to think he can do no wrong. Not even getting to a final with that Bayern team (getting absolutely horsed 2 years out of 3) was a failure.

Something I’ve noticed is whenever he’s chasing a semi-final tie he’ll go absolutely baws out formation wise, which just loses all balance and regularly backfires. The Chelsea tie in 2012 when he played with a back 3 that featured Dani Alves and had no width thanks to cramming as many attackers on the pitch as possible springs to mind.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, he "strolled" the league at Bayern with a team that regularly does so anyway and depending on what happens in the next couple of months, his record in England might yet read 1 league title out of a possible three. I'd love him to go to Brescia (I'm sure he said that if he was to manage in Italy it would be there after playing for them at the tail end of his career) to see how he gets on at a lesser light. If he did well there it would end all debate, but as it is there will always be doubts given that the Barcelona team contained some of the greatest players of all time who were all at their peak, the Bayern team he took over were one of the best sides Bayern ever assembled (as seen by their 7-0 destruction of Barcelona en route to winning the Champions League) and that he then took over probably the richest club in the world yet still hasn't addressed the defensive midfield issue when Fernandinho isn't available, has never progressed past the quarter finals in the Champions League and may yet end up this season with only a League Cup to his name (this is highly unlikely of course). Is he a great manager, yes. Is he the greatest? That's still up for debate I'd say. He's certainly won a lot and has improved many players (testament to his coaching skills) but some people forget that opinions are allowed in football.

5 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

There's a difference between "damn good manager in general" and how highly others view him though. You can't stroll leagues the way he does if you're not a good manager.

Theres also a difference between manager and coach, pep is undoubtedly a great coach, maybe one of the greatest given the way he can make players play the game, however as a manager he has shown massive failings and frailties when it comes to countering opposition, buying players etc