Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Agreed, pep will probably win the league and it will all be forgotten because they play nice football, when in reality he's nowhere near winning the CL at city, was nowhere near it at bayern also

Not sure if "nowhere near it" is the right phrase. They were dominant in that game and the result belies the performance - I think you'd struggle to see a more unlucky quarter final loss. Then they'd have been favourites against Ajax for all Ajax have surprised everyone and put out Madrid and Juve. They have also beaten one of the other semi finalists already this season, although admittedly they're not the ones who are favourites to make the final. 

At Bayern he made 3 semis and lost one of them on away goals (although admittedly again they were pumped in the other two).

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

They're a plastic club. Seeing them going out tonight like that was very pleasing. 

How are they a plastic club? They've existed since the 19th century. They are financially supported to over achieve on their potential but they are a big well established club in any case. There are far worse examples of clubs playing above their expected level in the EPL.

Think that's the first time in the CL that I've seen the ref check it and stick with his original decision.
Did you not see the Juventus game the previous night then? Goal awarded by the on-field ref, VAR checks, VAR asks the ref to go have a look on the monitor, on-field ref sticks with his original decision. Now that was possibly to "sell it" to the Ajax bench, who were going crazy and last night might have been to "sell it" to the Man City players who were also going a but crazy. This miked up Australian ref has opened up a can of worms and it's another reason VAR is shite. Although it is hilarious. I do wonder though if the linesman might have given Augero offside if there had been no VAR since they are instructed not to flag of it is close and wait for VAR to check, rather than flagging and play stopping only for it to be shown to be an incorrect decision by VAR later?

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Fantastic drama in the 2nd half.

Liked the ref's expression after awarding the spurs 3rd goal, walked away from the screen completely bemused at the Man City complaints.

Hopefully Ajax go on to win it. Tho it seems very strange that a club of their size, trophy cabinet and funding are being painted as plucky underdogs.

No it doesn't.  Google wage bill and transfer spend of all clubs involved.

Dates confirmed by UEFA for #LFC’s Champions League semi-final against Barcelona. 
Away leg Wed 1st May
Home leg Tues 7th May 

f**k sake, I booked a holiday to Barcelona 6 months ago and now I’ve got to spend it with a bunch of bloody scousers wandering about the city pissed. Good thing it’s a big city and I’m there long after the game!

Just now, Widge said:

f**k sake, I booked a holiday to Barcelona 6 months ago and now I’ve got to spend it with a bunch of bloody scousers wandering about the city pissed. Good thing it’s a big city and I’m there long after the game!

^^^ Beggin' Rab for a seat next to him IMO.

Anyone could have bought a ticket to this. There was a day trip company from Scotland running 2 buses from Glasgow and Ayrshire offering tickets in the Man City end. It really is quite unbelievable they don’t have enough fans to fill the stadium for a Champions Leaque QF. 

Not really, their fan base over the last 30 years or so seems to indicate they have about 30-35000 fans. The Ethihad used to hold just below 50,000 and then they increased that to (I think) 55,000.

It’s hard to find 20,000 extra people to suddenly just come out and support a club. I’m sure they hope to have many tourists each week filling the seats similar to the other Manchester club but they haven’t turned that tide away from Utd yet.

I’ve been down to watch some great games there in the Champions League over the last few years so I’m not complaining. To go against the common trend I would need to say that the atmosphere is always good when I’ve been there - of course though I am comparing it to Rugby Park.

15 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

This. As good as City were going forward, they were absolutely pants at the back. Spurs only needed a handful of chances to score 3 goals.

But peps the greatest manager in the world right now apparently 

200million give or take on a defence and they cant mark llorente whos 6 yards out at a corner, city got what they deserved and so did pep

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

No it doesn't.  Google wage bill and transfer spend of all clubs involved.

They are not big spenders vs the other teams in the latter rounds, that I am well aware,  its the  fact they have so many factors going there way 90% of the time and now they are the little guy going up against the big boys that's odd.

Spurs beat City to nil at hime then stayed with them in the inevitable onslaught away from. City put in a great attacking performance but failed to manage the game properly and got beat.

Just because it was a thriller doesnt change the requirements for progression.

Spurs might struggle without both Kane and Son for the first leg

The Barcelona/Liverpool game at the Camp Nou will be the one where Barcelona decide to sign Drew Robertson in the summer ITGPO (in this great poster's opinion).

3 hours ago, The OP said:

Not sure if "nowhere near it" is the right phrase. They were dominant in that game and the result belies the performance - I think you'd struggle to see a more unlucky quarter final loss. Then they'd have been favourites against Ajax for all Ajax have surprised everyone and put out Madrid and Juve. They have also beaten one of the other semi finalists already this season, although admittedly they're not the ones who are favourites to make the final. 

At Bayern he made 3 semis and lost one of them on away goals (although admittedly again they were pumped in the other two).

He's still nowhere near it at city, could understand if it was real, barca etc that knocked them out, but the draw was kind to pep and he (and the players) blew it last night 

And dont forget when he took over bayern they were euro champions,

I'll dare to say it, pep wouldn't praised as much had he not walked into a barca team with xavi, iniesta, puyol, messi, eto amongst others, arguably 4 of the greatest players to play in their respective positions plus a goal machine in eto

1 hour ago, Widge said:

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

^^^ Beggin' Rab for a seat next to him IMO.

About 4800 I think Man Utd got so hopefully the same big allocation for Liverpool.