Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

2 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

It's dads, uncles, and older brothers who come into clubs along with young kids putting on cleats for the first time - that gets you such a wide pool of voluntary coaches that there will naturally be quite a few good ones in there, who then go on to older and better teams within a club. Career coaches are really only a thing at the pro clubs, I believe.

It's not just football, btw - field hockey noticably benefits from this culture of starting out in coaching by helming your child's team.

It must be a difference in our respective mentalities. The Dads etc here usually fall in to the raging imbeciles category.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It must be a difference in our respective mentalities. The Dads etc here usually fall in to the raging imbeciles category.

Trust me, I've met plenty of Dutch football dads when I was playing over there who fall in that category. :D 

There are however, as DutchBorderer rightly said, plenty who do get involved in a positive way too.

It's also facilities.  I remember when rangers opened their training ground they were all talk of it possible thing them on a level playing field with the best in Europe.  They have four pitches.  Ajax have seventy-two.

4 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

So then ...  

Ajax v Manchester C / Spurs 

Barcelona v Porto / Liverpool 

Off to Portugal for the game tonight. Hopefully Liverpool can see the job out. Mon the Reds :)

Barcelona vs Ajax final would be just delightful.  Make it so, footballing gods.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Barcelona vs Ajax final would be just delightful.  Make it so, footballing gods.

Just over three years since the passing of Johan Cruijff, he'd have been so proud.

Tell you what though, I share my birthday with him (April 25th), it's never been the same since 2016. Absolute legend, and it's down to his revolution at Ajax in the early 2010's that the club is where it is now (never mind all he did as a player and manager, both at Ajax and Barcelona).

15 minutes ago, Kuro said:

It's also facilities.  I remember when rangers opened their training ground they were all talk of it possible thing them on a level playing field with the best in Europe.  They have four pitches.  Ajax have seventy-two.

True, my local club in the town where I grew up has 11 pitches, of which 6 have floodlights. They have approx. 100 teams in all age categories, of which 20 male adult teams, 60 boys youth teams and 20 women/girls teams. And that's a town with a population of just 22K. Quite impressive really.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

True, my local club in the town where I grew up has 11 pitches, of which 6 have floodlights. They have approx. 100 teams in all age categories, of which 20 male adult teams, 60 boys youth teams and 20 women/girls teams. And that's a town with a population of just 22K. Quite impressive really.

Compare that to Arbroath, which has about 24k, and it would bring a year to the eye.  We are in the dark ages.

I think I'm developing a man crush on Frenkie de Jong!

Can only echo what's been said previously by our Nederlands contingent, I'm constantly impressed by the facilities, the level of coaching, their enthusiasm and general involvement by parents, uncles etc over here at all levels, they love their football and it shows.

45 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Compare that to Arbroath, which has about 24k, and it would bring a year to the eye.  We are in the dark ages.

True, despite the much lower population, there is no reason why Scotland should be as poor as they are now (both in terms of Scottish teams in Europe & the national team). Football is massive here, there is a relatively decent amount of money. If the game here would be run better, both on local levels and by the football authorities, Scotland should really be doing much better. I'd love to see some of that Dutch approach being copied here.

Edited by Marten
I wrongly stated that Scotland has more TV money

4 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

That's definitely not true. The Dutch TV deal was worth about £70M according to the BBC, which was over treble our last TV deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46279568

Ok, I stand corrected, I must have had the wrong information. Maybe it's something like Celtic getting more than some Dutch teams as they get a large chunck of the Scottish TV money where the Dutch money is more evenly distributed?

13 minutes ago, Marten said:

Do they have the all the red tape with disclosure etc that we have in this country plus the vilification of Adults who work with kids ?

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing and it's there for a reason, however, rightly or wrongly I do know it has discouraged lots of people from working with organisations such as the Boys Brigade, YMCA, Scouts etc as many feel it's just too much trouble, not to mention stigmitised and also they don't want the authorities raking through their personal lives.

The fact that a parent can't take a couple of his own kids team mates in his car to a football match is just bloody ridiculous in my book but then everything in modern life in this country just appears to be so complicated and counter productive in many ways......

19 minutes ago, Marten said:

True, despite the much lower population, there is no reason why Scotland should be as poor as they are now (both in terms of Scottish teams in Europe & the national team). Football is massive here, there is a relatively decent amount of money (more TV money than in the Dutch league for example). If the game here would be run better, both on local levels and by the football authorities, Scotland should really be doing much better. I'd love to see some of that Dutch approach being copied here.

Yeah me too, but we have been saying the same thing for 25 years.  The authorities in Scotland are not capable of change.  They should be disbanded and the Scottish government step in.

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Do they have the all the red tape with disclosure etc that we have in this country plus the vilification of Adults who work with kids ?

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing and it's there for a reason, however, rightly or wrongly I do know it has discouraged lots of people from working with organisations such as the Boys Brigade, YMCA, Scouts etc as many feel it's just too much trouble, not to mention stigmitised and also they don't want the authorities raking through their personal lives.

The fact that a parent can't take a couple of his own kids team mates in his car to a football match is just bloody ridiculous in my book but then everything in modern life in this country just appears to be so complicated and counter productive in many ways......

To be honest, I've been out of the country for nearly a decade now so it's difficult for me to say as things will undoubtedly have changed since then. There are definitely rules in place over there as well, but when I was living there it was definitely not that strict.

True, despite the much lower population, there is no reason why Scotland should be as poor as they are now (both in terms of Scottish teams in Europe & the national team). Football is massive here, there is a relatively decent amount of money (more TV money than in the Dutch league for example). If the game here would be run better, both on local levels and by the football authorities, Scotland should really be doing much better. I'd love to see some of that Dutch approach being copied here.

At least Scotland & The Netherlands have one thing in common: having a nightmare creating a pyramid.

In general Scottish football needs to take notes from places like Germany & Netherlands (sans reserves in league) instead of copying England all the time.

I went on a youth tour about 15 years ago to Utrecht and remember being totally blown away with the facilities and setup over there compared to the borders backwater.

It was incredible and as you say, they just do it completely differently to the way we do.

16 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

At least Scotland & The Netherlands have one thing in common: having a nightmare creating a pyramid.

In general Scottish football needs to take notes from places like Germany & Netherlands (sans reserves in league) instead of copying England all the time.

Agreed, pyramid is a shambles in The Netherlands as well. And copying England is not a good thing for Scotland. Even though the game is better run there than here, it's far from great. A country with the population of England where football is that popular and with the crazy amount of money in the game down there, should really do much better than just 2 World Cup & 2 European semi finals in the last 50 years without a single final. The same goes for the results of English clubs in the Champions League, you would really expect better. Copying that approach with much less money and a much lower population is never going to work over here. It's time Scotland look elsewhere then England for how to run the game here.

Edited by Marten

Guest Moomintroll
I think I'm developing a man crush on Frenkie de Jong!
Can only echo what's been said previously by our Nederlands contingent, I'm constantly impressed by the facilities, the level of coaching, their enthusiasm and general involvement by parents, uncles etc over here at all levels, they love their football and it shows.
Will improve Barca even further if Matthijs de Ligt joins Frenkie de Jong there next season as is being speculated.

Guest Moomintroll
Yeah me too, but we have been saying the same thing for 25 years.  The authorities in Scotland are not capable of change.  They should be disbanded and the Scottish government step in.
Which under FIFA rules banning governmental interference in football would see all Scottish teams barred from International competition.