Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

8 minutes ago, Dele said:

This, the BBC are running a "Will Messi EVER catch Ronaldo?" 

They then go on to say, he's scored more per game and is years younger. All the stats point to that he will which wouldn't be any surprise considering it is Messi. 

I dont think he will, tbh. Ronaldo has evolved into an elite goalscorer who spends his time in or around the box. I think as Messi ages he'll start to go the opposite way, and become more of a central midfield playmaker.

Probably wrong though.

I dont think he will, tbh. Ronaldo has evolved into an elite goalscorer who spends his time in or around the box. I think as Messi ages he'll start to go the opposite way, and become more of a central midfield playmaker.
Probably wrong though.

Messi yesterday was sitting so deep at times. As you say in a playmaker role

I agree but Solskjaer took Dalot off. I can't understand why Young remains first choice RB. 
I think it made sense last night tbh.

Solskjaer was going for a back 3 to try and keep Barca quiet, Rojo and Jones are liabilities at that level IMO so Shaw coming inside seemed the best option. Darmian seems to not be trusted at all or have issues in the background so it just really leaves Young.

In fairness, nothing really got created out wide and in a defensive sense, he was fine. I suspect he won't be on the pitch if they are pushing for goals and they will sign another option there in the summer.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think as Messi ages he'll start to go the opposite way, and become more of a central midfield playmaker.

Probably wrong though.

You could be right but I reckon that's why they signed Frenkie de Jong, to stop exactly that from happening. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably wrong though.

He's basically been a midfielder for the last 2 seasons. His positioning in the first half yesterday was pretty similar to where he plays most weeks under Valverde, between the 18 yard box and the half way line. 

People who just compare the stats between the two, and don't really watch a lot of full games, don't realise the position Messi actually plays for Barca. A position which make his goals and assists stats so much more impressive. Having more goals, assists, dribbles and key passes than any other player in Europe 3 years in a row is just ludicrous. 

"Completely anonymous" last night but still made the run and provided a cross that lead to the games winning goal.  Right then. 

I must admit I think people desperate to compare the two of them and pick a winner are somewhat missing the big picture with these two.

We are fortunate to live in a time where we are seeing their exploits live. These two could easily be argued to be the 1 and 2 greatest footballers of all time. Never in any era that can boast greats of the game have 2 players stood so far above the rest. IMO even Pele and Maradona couldnt say they were so far ahead of their peers.

They are wildly different players and are both defying their years superbly well which also hinders comparison.

All of that said, if you are determined that you want to make the case for Messi then you should simply ignore the champions league. Ronaldo is Mr Champions League and thats not really even up for debate.

Last night was a prime example of the commentators ignorance. They were claiming Messi was dropping deeper as he couldnt get on the ball yet anyone who has watched Barca in the last couple of seasons would tell you he does this every week. Starts moves from 40 yards out, dribbles and plays a couple of bounce passes before having a shot at goal or creating a chance

For all the "pressure" and "dominance" that Man U had it resulted in 0 shots on target. Barcelona went away to Man U, won 1-0 without getting out of second gear, off the back of beating Atletico and securing the League at the weekend. They've got Huesca at the weekend so they'll be able to take it easy, then get Man U back to the Nou Camp and hopefully give them a doing.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I must admit I think people desperate to compare the two of them and pick a winner are fanboy wankers and/or trolls.

That's more accurate.

It's long been as tedious as f**k.

Guest DAVIDB69

This ronaldo and messi stuff is beyond tedious now as they are two very different types of players these days .

As messi gets older seems to be getting deeper and a lot more of creator

Ronaldo is just an out and out centre forward now , he does very little outside the box