Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

There must be a point where VAR is more annoying than it is useful. Having something that takes ages, nobody knows what’s going on and then getting a terrible decision anyway seems pretty pointless.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Ah, I wasn't aware of any of that.  Some folk on twitter last night were talking about him as if he was a child rapist who'd finally been outed.

He chose the shirt number 88 at Parma and has worn a t-shirt bearing the slogan "Boia chi molla" which was a fascist slogan used by Mussolini's mob.

Just now, Rab B Nesbit said:

Yes that was the one. I’m sure there was controversy before their 2nd goal? 

There was but it had f**k all to do with Buffon.  I was at that game and I distinctly remember Buffon walking into the centre circle to applaud the entire stadium after the game.

Peter Walton last night said penalty this morning Dermot Gallagher said it shouldnt of been a penalty, so you even have 2 ex premier league referees giving different things. VAR is needed in the game however it’s too inconsistent just now and you can’t have one referee giving a hand ball and the other not as that means a decision by VAR on the night depends on what referee you get on that match and for me that’s not right. Last night you could of had a ref saying that his arms was by his side and not in an unnatural position therefor no penalty and I’m sticking by my first decision of a corner kick. 

Maybe, and I might just be mental here, we should just let the ref use the help available and make the decision based on that, like he did last night.

People are absolutely desperate for VAR to be a failure. That much is obvious. Every single even SLIGHT error and it's torn apart. The media are the worst for it, and the fans are just lapping that pish right up. f**k the refs is basically the attitude. They don't need or deserve the help apparently. And all the while, all of those same people will be slating refs up and down the country for mistakes they make, continuing to pile pressure on them, and continuing to campaign to take this help away from them.

15 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Someone needs to tell OGS that the managers don’t need to wear a bib...

His jacket was the same colour as the PSG kit. Because his dugout was in the half of the pitch that the linesman would be looking towards him, he would need to wear the bib to avoid any issue with offside calls. PSG manager also had a black jacket but the linesman was on his side of the pitch so looking away from the dugout so he didn't need to wear a bib.

5 minutes ago, TQM said:

His jacket was the same colour as the PSG kit. Because his dugout was in the half of the pitch that the linesman would be looking towards him, he would need to wear the bib to avoid any issue with offside calls. PSG manager also had a black jacket but the linesman was on his side of the pitch so looking away from the dugout so he didn't need to wear a bib.

Cheers, Geoff.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There was but it had f**k all to do with Buffon.  I was at that game and I distinctly remember Buffon walking into the centre circle to applaud the entire stadium after the game.

I’m sure he did but mind still being raging at him they lorded it up big time at the end.  

Too many folk are missing the biggest issue with VAR IMO.

CLEAR AND FUCKING OBVIOUS.

If the VAR official catches a clear and obvious error and reports it to the ref, the whole process would be rapid. Instead what we have is every single goal being examined to the Nth degree resulting in the referee being called to re-interpret a decision which could have gone either way rathee than saying "that one is open to interpretation so the refs initial interpretation is accepted".

If something takes more than a minite to reach a conclusion whilst watching multiple replays, its clear and obvious to me that there was no clear and obvious error made.

I'd say that was my biggest problem with the use of it last night. The referee had to actually go back and watch it again even after multiple replays. He obviously wasn't sure if it was right to change the decision but went and done it anyways.

The referee is quite happy to take the word of an assistant ref for an incident they didn't see and then change their original decision. It should be exactly the same for the VAR official who is, after all, just another assistant. The main problem with VAR is how it's being used.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If the VAR official catches a clear and obvious error and reports it to the ref, the whole process would be rapid. Instead what we have is every single goal being examined to the Nth degree resulting in the referee being called to re-interpret a decision which could have gone either way rathee than saying "that one is open to interpretation so the refs initial interpretation is accepted".

If something takes more than a minite to reach a conclusion whilst watching multiple replays, its clear and obvious to me that there was no clear and obvious error made.

The VAR protocol also applies to SERIOUS MISSED INCIDENTS: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/771/134351_010618_LotG_18_19_EN_VAR_protocol.pdf

If the referee says to the VAR that they didn't see the incident, or if they didn't have a good view of it and the VAR thinks it was a probable clear and obvious error then they can recommend a review. In this case the handball was on the other side of the player from the referee.

The reason the referee would want to go for an on-field review is to make sure for himself and also to then explain/sell it to the players.

1 hour ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Peter Walton last night said penalty this morning Dermot Gallagher said it shouldnt of been a penalty, so you even have 2 ex premier league referees giving different things. VAR is needed in the game however it’s too inconsistent just now and you can’t have one referee giving a hand ball and the other not as that means a decision by VAR on the night depends on what referee you get on that match and for me that’s not right. Last night you could of had a ref saying that his arms was by his side and not in an unnatural position therefor no penalty and I’m sticking by my first decision of a corner kick. 

I would trust Walton more as he's refereed more recently and is manager of the professional referees in North America, so likely to know the UEFA/FIFA/IFAB directives and teachings. Sure, the referee could ignore the evidence on the TV screen but then they'd be marked down by their observer if they got it wrong.

I would much rather have VAR where the referee gets a second look, than the situation in Northern Ireland v Denmark in WC qualifying where the referee couldn't see the contact and basically guessed at whether it hit the arm or not, getting it completely wrong.

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'd say that was my biggest problem with the use of it last night. The referee had to actually go back and watch it again even after multiple replays. He obviously wasn't sure if it was right to change the decision but went and done it anyways.

Err, the reason he moved to/from the screen was to speak to people in one of the technical areas...

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree with this. 

I'm pro VAR but can see why people will begin to dislike it when it's used like it is currently - but I think in the long run it's a very good support mechanism for referees if they make a wrong decision in a split second. The way it's currently being used makes it a lot harder for people to accept but I still think overall it's a hugely positive introduction to football. I also agree that the media are loving it because every single time there's a decision made by VAR it give them a days worth of discussion on the subject - they're reveling in the smallest uses of it. 

I know how difficult a job referees have. Collina, now head of referees of UEFA, was a key note speaker at a conference I was at last year and he spoke at length about refereeing data and the number of decisions they're making per game and it was frighting - something like a conscious decision every 10 seconds. 

I think I'm in the minority but I actually think that was a pen last night under UEFA guidance. When the ball his his hand he's in the most unnatural position you can be as a defender, using his arm to block a shot. I think the addition of the word "deliberate" was a horrible one. It's virtually impossible to prove.

31 minutes ago, printer said:
3 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:
I’m sure he did but mind still being raging at him they lorded it up big time at the end.  

Says more about you than them.

I’ll fit in well on here then :lol:

Edited by Rab B Nesbit