Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

1 minute ago, Blootoon87 said:

VAR is pish, it's pish in every game it's been involved in. Hopefully it's years away from being rolled out up here.

The officials up here are doing fine without it ... 

10 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

The officials up here are doing fine without it ... 

That would be an excellent point if there wasn't referees getting things wrong even when they're aided by VAR. 

Alas, they're not. 

AD657C33-4B19-4D38-8115-BD5062CC00FD.thumb.jpeg.509d12758b7a7749679e5fbb5b4ef1ad.jpeg

Not a united fan, but think cantona is brilliant. Even outside of football, he sometimes plays on the ego thing but sat and watched a few interviews if his on youtube and he does come across as down to earth and quite eloquent.

As for united, that wee bit of luck to take them through. I think var does work and did in the world cup and probably will work but needs a bit of work. Harsh giving a penalty for that, you can’t jump with your arms down by your side.

Man city will have a field day against uniteds defence. Where di maria and mbappe were getting down in behind the right and left backs, and then firing the ball across de gea to the other in coming in, is exactly what stirling and sane do.

It was a complete bottle job from PSG from the word go last night. Two individual errors and a dodgey penalty... Man Utd are getting far too much credit for the result when PSG have done the biggest bottle job seen in football since their disaster at the Nou camp 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

VAR is pish, it's pish in every game it's been involved in. Hopefully it's years away from being rolled out up here.

VAR isn't the problem, it's how humans interpret the rules and they all do it differently, hence we have no consistency.

The only way to stop this for hand ball is make it a penalty for every instance of the ball touching a hand or arm or alternatively allow players to block the ball with their hands or arms.

Apart from this it's always going to be open to interpretation and we just have to accept it or not.

For the record, I didn't think it was a penalty in a million years, however I didn't have the call.............

Seems everyone is saying it's not a penalty, except the officials. That ref on TV last night "it's a penalty" WTF?? 

It always amazes me that in a stadium full of people, refs seem to manage to disagree with everyone else on a regular basis. 

Dalot (?) did claim but I feel it was nothing more than desperation. No other player seemed bothered. 

VAR is there to help referees, and f**k knows they're not getting help from anyone else. The media, fans, players and managers desperate to pile on pressure on refs and cheat every chance. Refs NEED VAR whether you like it or not, whether it be in it's current form or not. Their job is horrendous and thankless. Why anyone would try and deny them something that helps them in their job is beyond me.

Something that doesn't seem to have been discussed much due to the penalty controversy is how bad Mbappe was last night. I've seen him have some excellent games and he clearly has incredible potential, but he looked like Theo Walcott at his worst last night. Legs too fast for his body, terribly heavy touch and wasteful finishing. Had he finished the one-on-one he had the penalty would have been inconsequential. 

Penalty was a farcical decision though and VAR is the drizzling shits. It's supposed to be utilised for clear and obvious errors by the ref, and there is no way anyone is convincing me that not giving a penalty first time round was a clear and obvious error. The fact they're showing potential handball occurrences in slow motion is a shambles as well. Get it in the fucking bin and allow human error to infuriate / entertain us all.  

8 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Theo Walcott at his worst last night

Ooooofffftttttt!!!! 

Kick him when he's down why don't you.....?? 

:lol: 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I've missed something but when did Buffon become a c**t that everyone hates?

Beyond his Sky Sports appearances in Scotland can also remember some pretty wild celebrations at Hampden. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I've missed something but when did Buffon become a c**t that everyone hates?

@ali_91 likes to get attention by bringing up his apparent fascist sympathies in the past, in the same way he uses Jamie Vardy's racism or the claim that Cristiano Ronaldo is the best footballer of all time

2 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

can also remember some pretty wild celebrations at Hampden. 

The game we lost 2-1 to a late goal?

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

@ali_91 likes to get attention by bringing up his apparent fascist sympathies in the past, in the same way he uses Jamie Vardy's racism or the claim that Cristiano Ronaldo is the best footballer of all time

Ah, I wasn't aware of any of that.  Some folk on twitter last night were talking about him as if he was a child rapist who'd finally been outed.