Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

Why can't Man City come close to selling out their games for Champions League ties?
_103502910_rexfeatures_9886084t.jpg&key=82e5ba170ff1ebdf84bd1d0d1bdc5d5180221c588a618387a21fd79b2388bd12

I might be wrong here, but is that large empty bit in the photo on the left not the section above the away fans? I agree with your sentiment, though. Seems bizarre that they get such a shit home crowd for the group stage games.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I might be wrong here, but is that large empty bit in the photo on the left not the section above the away fans? I agree with your sentiment, though. Seems bizarre that they get such a shit home crowd for the group stage games.

Not on the season ticket and midweek rules a lot of people out. Traditionally this has been the case. Even at Anfield pre 2005 and loyalty points system crowds weren’t great. Boavista 2001 was the first home Champions League game for Liverpool and the attendance was only 30,000 odd. Olympiakos in December 2004 only sold out on the day. Far from the case nowadays though. 

11 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Just think of the self preservation society. They would manage it.

Impressed with Fekir from what I've watched tonight. Hope this one works out the same way as van Dijk did.

I think the medical was the end of that one full stop. 

You are correct, the Lyon fans were all in the bottom tier of that section. Were still empty seats visible throughout the game and the place was half empty by full time despite it only being 2-1. Atmosphere was still shit before they were losing. Their support has always been shit in Europe.

I just had a look on Google Maps.
Not sure I would fancy driving back over Mont Blanc in the dark on a supporters bus.

Try getting to Elgin midweek!!!

13 hours ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

BT Sports "man city favourites for the champions league this season"

13 hours ago, The OP said:

Yeah that’s twice they’ve said it now. Sure the 3 in a row winners and the team that beat the 3 in a row winners to the title will be surprised.

The English pundits will do anything to big up the PL sides. They were favourites in the betting markets, so not an inaccurate statement, but don't have the pedigree to justify their price IMO.

2 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Not on the season ticket and midweek rules a lot of people out. Traditionally this has been the case. Even at Anfield pre 2005 and loyalty points system crowds weren’t great. Boavista 2001 was the first home Champions League game for Liverpool and the attendance was only 30,000 odd. Olympiakos in December 2004 only sold out on the day. Far from the case nowadays though. 

I think the medical was the end of that one full stop. 

Millwall fan phoned in to Talksport and said Etihad was empty because it was a work night and getting near christmas. Cunday said but Anfield was full the night before. Caller replied yes but they don't work do they. And was promptly cut off.

8 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

The English pundits will do anything to big up the PL sides. They were favourites in the betting markets, so not an inaccurate statement, but don't have the pedigree to justify their price IMO.

Aye but is that just the English based betting markets? Can't imagine the Spanish or Italians would put them ahead of Barca, Real and Juventus.

Guest DAVIDB69
Could throw a hat over the first half a dozen sides ... 
5F5AA109-1792-4F13-A67E-2A25AC18AB71.thumb.jpeg.81767a7454aea580b0f56ea8edb85d2b.jpeg
Lolverpool squad look away again ... [emoji3] 

Think Atletico Madrid are the value with the final being on their ground this year

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Aye but is that just the English based betting markets? Can't imagine the Spanish or Italians would put them ahead of Barca, Real and Juventus.

It doesn't matter where a bookie is based. On a market like the Champions League they'll all be broadly in line due to the amount of money being staked worldwide.