Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

Details of new format from this season onwards can be found here

Premliminary Round featuring the 4 lowest nations was drawn today so may as well start this thread.

Preliminary Round

FC Santa Coloma (Andorra) vs Drita (Kosovo)
La Fiorita (San Marino) vs Lincoln Red Imps (Gibraltar)

All matches take place at the Victoria Stadium in Gibraltar with semis on the 26th June and final the 29th. Winner goes onto next round of CL qualifying whilst all losers drop to R2 of Europa Qualifying.

Edited by GNU_Linux
better mobile formatting

Are you talking about the teams that go direct into the group stage,

26 of 32 go straight to the group stage,

• 11 champions from associations 1–11
  • 6 runners-up from associations 1–6
  • 5 third-placed teams from associations 1–5
  • 4 fourth-placed teams from associations 1–4

The top 11 Associations are,

1 Spain Spain 104.998 4  
2 Germany Germany 79.498  
3 England England 75.962  
4 Italy Italy 73.332  
5 France France 56.665 3  
6 Russia Russia 50.532  
7 Portugal Portugal 49.332 2  
8 Ukraine Ukraine 42.633  
9 Belgium Belgium 42.400  
10 Turkey Turkey 39.200  
11 Czech Republic Czech Republic 33.175

The groups are 32 teams, and this leaves only 6 teams from all the qualifying teams join the Money League

It starts today with round 1 of the extra preliminary rounds.  Don't know much about any of the teams about from Lincoln Red Imps (but I don't like thinking about them lol) so I hope the team from Kosovo goes through.  Football at this level is just getting going in Kosovo and it would be nice for their teams to do well

The new season has started!

FC Santa Coloma (Andorra) 0-2 Drita (Kosovo), after extra time.

The second semi final is tonight at 8pm, final on Friday night. I'm already planning to go to next year's preliminary tournament with a friend who is a fellow groundhopper. :) 

The three losers of this preliminary competition all drop into the Europa League but bypass round 1 (mid July) and drop into round 2 (end of July).

Seems a bit unfair and out of sync with later rounds where you join the NEXT round of Europa qualification. Most other clubs from these nations have to play a preliminary round before round 1 proper in the Europa League too.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick glance at today's scores is not good news for fans of Welsh football, both of you will be disappointed to learn that TNS are in the process of being demolished 5-0 in Macedonia, and there are still 20 minutes left to play in that first leg. 

Edited by senorsoupe

19 hours ago, Marten said:

Wales seem to be on their way to the bottom 4 in the rankings, which would mean that their champions will play in the Champions League preliminary tournament...

I don't think they will get bumped down after this season given that none of the teams from Gibraltar have done better than any of the Welsh teams but two teams from the Faroe's getting out of the first Europa League round should mean the Welsh will be overtaken by them, putting Wales on the bubble (5th worst) to be bumped into that bottom 4.  I would expect Kosovo will be the country that will eventually work there way up to be the country that bumps Wales

In other news, I took a quick glance at the scores so far and it looks as though a major upset could be on the cards, at half time in their first leg, Suduva of Lithuania (coefficient 2.000) are leading APEL of Cyprus (coefficient 27.000) 3-0!  I know that 3/4 of the tie is still to play but this could have a big impact for some of the teams that were mid-pack coefficient wise

8 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I don't think they will get bumped down after this season given that none of the teams from Gibraltar have done better than any of the Welsh teams but two teams from the Faroe's getting out of the first Europa League round should mean the Welsh will be overtaken by them, putting Wales on the bubble (5th worst) to be bumped into that bottom 4.  I would expect Kosovo will be the country that will eventually work there way up to be the country that bumps Wales

You could well be right. Kosovo will rise in the rankings, football is really big there, but the league is just now getting serious as they are now accepted into FIFA & UEFA. Before then, the league also existed, but it wasn't officially recognised as a national top flight. Obviously, the ranking being over a period of 5 years with this only being their second year taking part won't help either. I'm not saying Kosovo will become a major force, but at least better than the level of Luxembourg/Wales/Faroer.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

You could well be right. Kosovo will rise in the rankings, football is really big there, but the league is just now getting serious as they are now accepted into FIFA & UEFA. Before then, the league also existed, but it wasn't officially recognised as a national top flight. Obviously, the ranking being over a period of 5 years with this only being their second year taking part won't help either. I'm not saying Kosovo will become a major force, but at least better than the level of Luxembourg/Wales/Faroer.

Drita and Prihstina have already taken Kosovo's first steps by winning something this year, which will at least get some coefficient points going forward.  I think that in the long term Kosovo could end up building there way up into the same zone as the Armenia's, Northern Ireland's & Malta's (Between 45th and 50th) while unless something changes Wales will be in that bottom 4 along with Andorra, San Marino, and Gibraltar