Scottish American Football

Seen a couple of posts about this on the NFL General Discussion thread.

Anyone play or go and watch a local team?

Spent yesterday afternoon at Meggetland watching EK Pirates v Edinburgh Wolves. Finished 25-29 with the Wolves coming from 10 points behind to win comfortably in the end.

First game for me and the next one is the other side of the city so doubt I'll travel over. Nice walk down the canal, 5er in, nice wee ground/complex, guy on the mic giving updates and a bar and bbq with burgers a quid from the 3rd quarter.

Standard was what I expected though they tried to throw the ball more than I would've thought to their credit. Wolves RB ran in an absolute peach, they did a 2 point conversion that looked like it was an NFL play and EK's last TD was a fucking belter of a catch in heavy traffic. Beyond that it wasn't up to much and nobody kicks field goals so it feels different. The kicking from EK was tragic and you'd think that would be one thing we could do over here. Just 1 extra point, kick offs out of bounds, punts going 20 yards. They said the crowd was 300 which seems a bit more than it looked unless they are including all the players.

A perfectly enjoyable way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. Will go again... if it doesn't involve a bus across town.

1 hour ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Seen a couple of posts about this on the NFL General Discussion thread.

Anyone play or go and watch a local team?

Spent yesterday afternoon at Meggetland watching EK Pirates v Edinburgh Wolves. Finished 25-29 with the Wolves coming from 10 points behind to win comfortably in the end.

First game for me and the next one is the other side of the city so doubt I'll travel over. Nice walk down the canal, 5er in, nice wee ground/complex, guy on the mic giving updates and a bar and bbq with burgers a quid from the 3rd quarter.

Standard was what I expected though they tried to throw the ball more than I would've thought to their credit. Wolves RB ran in an absolute peach, they did a 2 point conversion that looked like it was an NFL play and EK's last TD was a fucking belter of a catch in heavy traffic. Beyond that it wasn't up to much and nobody kicks field goals so it feels different. The kicking from EK was tragic and you'd think that would be one thing we could do over here. Just 1 extra point, kick offs out of bounds, punts going 20 yards. They said the crowd was 300 which seems a bit more than it looked unless they are including all the players.

A perfectly enjoyable way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon. Will go again... if it doesn't involve a bus across town.

One of my friends played in the UK for years. Pretty sure his last team was the Wolves.

We used to go and watch the Glasgow Lions, back in the day. That was a different level with US imports and everything, including a young Scott Cooper

One of my friends played in the UK for years. Pretty sure his last team was the Wolves.
We used to go and watch the Glasgow Lions, back in the day. That was a different level with US imports and everything, including a young Scott Cooper
You might know my old man. He used to do some photography for the Glasgow lions back in the day. Occasionally still talks about the real hatred there was with leicester panthers after they got the lions kicked into the lower division for dodgy political reasons.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Pie and Bovril mobile app

25 minutes ago, Hooky2012 said:

You might know my old man. He used to do some photography for the Glasgow lions back in the day. Occasionally still talks about the real hatred there was with leicester panthers after they got the lions kicked into the lower division for dodgy political reasons.

Sounds a bit after my time watching them - unless I totally dont remember that happening :lol:

I would have been going to games from about 85 to 88 ish

ETA - has your Dad seen the Facebook page? 

Sounds a bit after my time watching them - unless I totally dont remember that happening [emoji38]
I would have been going to games from about 85 to 88 ish
ETA - has your Dad seen the Facebook page? 
I'll get him to give it a wee look, cheers. Think he followed them from about 85 to 95ish when they folded.

Some of the politics sounds worse than Scottish football to be honest, you probably (wisely) chose to ignore it haha

Didn’t Sean Peyton play for those Leicester wanks?
Yes he did. Bit of a step up really... Semi-pro quarterback in Britain to Superbowl winning coach. Don't get many stories like that in the NFL anymore.

Archived