Standards Dropping

kenny131

Guest brycey
1 hour ago, kenny131 said:

Hard not too when our flagship cup comp final is shown live on the BBC and the winners were playing for touch to gain ground.

a rekon baith teems were sponsored wae easy jet - long baws up in the air awe the time - but a thocht the talbot deserved it overall 

8 hours ago, kenny131 said:

The junior cup final live on the BBC alba probably watched by a fare football(sadly not what was seen)fans in what can only be described as rugby tactics kicking for touch to gain ground and 90 minutes of lumping it long. It's an embarrassment to the grade this is the standard that wins cups regular. 

When did  the standards slip to this Level?  Is it win at all costs and f**k the football ?

Went as a netrual to that final with my brother in law,  who rarely takes in a junior game. Both of us enjoyed the game, with Hurlford being best for the first 90 minutes and playing good football. Other finals, even 30 years ago, we're drab and an endurance to watch. So would say, football is now quicker and more technical than previous, but the pressure to win pulling cup games back in both accounts.

Where's the money coming from in the LL? Saw BSC Glasgow last year in the senor scottish...they had all of 20-30 fans!

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

I remember one (2003?) that STV were late in getting to because the grand prix overran. It was not a classic either and I recall folk were grateful it had done so!

Honestly I think quite a few things go against the Junior Cup Final - maybe not individually the problem but collectively do add up:

1. Time of season - teams getting to the final are usually in the middle of a hectic midweek programme, albeit with a week off before final. Fatigue plays a role.

2. Time of year: always seems to be played in sweltering heat.

3. Pitch size:  there's barely a pitch in the Juniors that is as big as Rugby Park. Measure them on google earth if you're unconvinced. Pollok play half the season on a 102x64yds surface. The extra yards at Rugby Park take their toll when taking into account 1 & 2.

4. The occasion, live on TV - sometimes pressure gets to people. Not everyone's a big game player.

The awful one you're thinking of was 2004, someone at the SJFA thought Glesga was the best place to have a Carnoustie v Tayport final and they barely hit a 3000 crowd I think...

4 minutes ago, Redbrae said:

Went as a netrual to that final with my brother in law,  who rarely takes in a junior game. Both of us enjoyed the game, with Hurlford being best for the first 90 minutes and playing good football. Other finals, even 30 years ago, we're drab and an endurance to watch. So would say, football is now quicker and more technical than previous, but the pressure to win pulling cup games back in both accounts.

Where's the money coming from in the LL? Saw BSC Glasgow last year in the senor scottish...they had all of 20-30 fans!

True there haven't been a load of great finals over the years. You generally see far better matches in the other rounds. I know Talbot were excellent v Pollok, Cumnock and Lochee away and having watched a few other random matches in the competition I've generally come away entertained. 

I still think playing the final after a month of 3 game per week fixture cramming is the worst possible way to showcase the grade as the players really don't need to add fatigue on top of the stress of playing in the final.

If a player is in full time work and playing 3 games a week they must be spending the guts of 70 hours either training, playing travelling or working. It's a mental ask. 

If you want quality football, watch the Champions League FFS. This year's junior cup final was a classic IMO - it had the kind of drama that you can't script. Wee Taz scored a great solo goal and for those of you bleating that there was only one goal from open play - corner kicks are a large part of any game and the both deliveries from Mark Shankland were of the highest skill level. Both team's fans experienced the highs and lows of an emotional rollercoaster and the neutrals were entertained to the end.

1 hour ago, redrocky said:

The cup final should be played on grass and clubs should insist on it. 

If you want it to be at a ground with a capacity of more than a couple of thousand, the final will have to be significantly earlier than it currently is. Most of the senior grass pitches will be in the process of being dug-up, re-seeded and the like by June. 

There have been some seriously shite finals in that competition. And in the World Cup and Europa League.
Yes, but when are the showpiece finals with the biggest prize at stake a true reflection of any grade?
I think this is apparent to any junior fan, even the OP who is clearly just trying to wind up his friends in Auchinleck.

Archived