Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2018/19

3 hours ago, brycey said:

good win for the burra lads today guys n awe the best

Nice one.  We deserved to win it and I'm not sure the score flattered us.  Dodgy looking penalty when Leith could've still played their way back into it  pretty much sealed it.

9 minutes ago, RobM said:

Nice one.  We deserved to win it and I'm not sure the score flattered us really but it was a dodgy looking penalty when Leith could've still played their way back into it that pretty much sealed it.

5 hours ago, RobM said:

Nice one.  We deserved to win it and I'm not sure the score flattered us.  Dodgy looking penalty when Leith could've still played their way back into it  pretty much sealed it.

Agree Rob; we deserved the win. However don’t agree it was a dodgy penalty! Clear as can be. Michael gets the ball crossed into the penalty, but is then taken down by the keeper! Have a look at the goals on the Musselburgh twitter and you will see.

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Agree Rob; we deserved the win. However don’t agree it was a dodgy penalty! Clear as can be. Michael gets the ball crossed into the penalty, but is then taken down by the keeper! Have a look at the goals on the Musselburgh twitter and you will see.

Agreed. Stonewall penalty after a great ball over the top. Done that couple times first half to great success.

Thought scoreline did flatter us a bit. Leith kept going although felt we were only in 2nd gear. 2nd half was bit of a non event tbh.

But with Dunbar losing too, Top 5 is a certainty now. Objective achieved!

Edited by Passthebaw

50 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Agreed. Stonewall penalty after a great ball over the top. Done that couple times first half to great success.

Thought scoreline did flatter us a bit. Leith kept going although felt we were only in 2nd gear. 2nd half was bit of a non event tbh.

But with Dunbar losing too, Top 5 is a certainty now. Objective achieved!

I think we were good for our goals, just for the way we played. Michael Moffat and Michael Deland give us great options of playing defence into attack; with Michael more like a right winger yesterday, resulting in his two goals. Mathu showed how much he wants to score goals, particularly with his movement in 1st and 3rd goals.

Match was definitely won in the 1st half. Not a fan of how we played a lot of the 2nd half. Leith came more into the match after half time, but we were too slow in getting the ball up the field on a number of occasions. 

Certainly a good result for cementing a top 5 position - looking more like a top 3!

League match 16 for both teams saw Musselburgh away to Leith Athletic. On 11 August, at Olivebank, Musselburgh won the first league encounter 5-0.

Two changes from last week’s starting line up saw Mathu King play his first match of 2019, with Liam Gregory coming back into the side, having last played away to Arniston at the beginning of November. Nathan Evans and Jack Gillan dropped to the bench.

Play in the first 15 minutes did not create much goalmouth action. However, things moved up a gear at that point. From the Burgh half, Conor Thomson sent a long through ball towards the Leith goal area. Michael Moffat was first to the ball and his shot went by the keeper, McGinley, and into the net.

Five minutes later, in the middle of the park, Michael Deland played the ball through to Mathu King but his shot was parried out for a corner by McGinley. Mathu did not have long to wait till his first goal of the match. It came in 26 minutes. He started by passing ball to Conor, who then played ball to the wing for Liam Gregory to pick up. In meantime Mathu runs up the park and into the box when he collects the pass from Liam G. Mathu controls the ball, then back heeled the ball by McGinley to give Burgh a 2-0 lead.

Musselburgh were in complete control by this time and with nine minutes of 1st half remaining another chance came their way. Following a shout from Michael M, Liam Reid punted a long ball up to the right hand side of the Leith penalty area. Michael got the ball and played it into the box. Just then, he was brought down by McGinley and the ref blew for a penalty. Not sure why the Leith management team or supporters complained as it was a definite foul. Conor waited in the box to receive the ball, but Michael M was having none of that. He took the penalty and his second goal saw Musselburgh take a 3-0 lead.

Two minutes later and Michael D, on the left wing played the ball forward to Mathu. He passed to Liam G, who quickly returned the ball and Mathu nicked the ball before the keeper and it was 4-0 to Burgh.

Not to be outdone, Leith got a goal back before half time. Bradley Whyte made a real mess of play near the Burgh penalty area, with Molloy getting the ball and his strike from the 18 yard line hit the net.

Half time Leith 1 - 4 Musselburgh.

Leith had far more possession of the ball in the second half. On 51 minutes, Swanson went by Jonno McManus on the right wing and played ball into Molloy. His shot went between Ally Adams and his left hand post. Before Leith could celebrate, the referee blew for offside. From my vantage spot on half way, it looked a very tight decision.

Swanson played a long cross to the far side of the box on 53 minutes. Main headed the ball, but instead of towards the goals, the ball was centred and cleared by the Burgh defence.

On 56 minutes, Burgh were back on the attack, which involved Michael D and Gary Cherrie. Ball played out left to Liam G who aimed a cross at Mathu. Luckily, Leigh’s centre half Boyd was there to header out for corner. Then up the other field, Molloy had another chance but shot was easily saved by Ally.

Musselburgh’s first sub was on hour mark, when Liam Reid was replaced by Jack Gillan, with Gary advised to drop back to centre half position. Then a Leith free kick was punched out of the penalty are by Ally, but only to Swanson. His shot from 30 yards fell into Ally’s arms.

No. 8 Dempster came on for Leigh’s no. 10 Mayer; followed on 65 minutes with Jackie Myles being subbed with Nathan Evans, last week’s scorer coming on. Just after this, Gary, received, I think, the first yellow card of the match. From the free kick, Anderson skied the ball over the bar.

Final substitutions came in 75 minutes. For Leith; no. 19 Hay replaced Mein; whilst Liam Gregory came off, for Ralton.

A couple of shots from either side saw Ralton hit a shot from a tight angle, which was saved by McGinley. Then following a move up Leith’s right wing, Molloy’s shot failed to hit the net.

Last goal of match came in 85 minutes. From the Burgh half, Jonno played ball to Conor. His through ball to a running Mathu saw the centre forward’s shot saved by McGinley. However, from the rebound, Mathu hit the net for his hat-trick.

Full time: Leith 1 - 5 Musselburgh.

The attendance of 122 was Leith’s biggest crowd of the season. The supporters club man of match award went to Liam Gregory.

Was kind of up the other end a bit so didn't have the best view.  Eyesight of a 50 year old and the stroke didn't help as well.  :lol:

I thought it was a penalty at the time. However, when I heard people questioning, it was good that the camera was filming the goals, and you could see the incident again! As said before, by looking at Mathu’s first goal again, via Musselburgh twitter, you realise how good his goal was from his first touch all the way through to the back heel.

Good to have differing opinions on football, and able to have healthy debates afterwards.

On 20/01/2019 at 06:52, Casey Jones said:

Yup the Twitter video makes it clear, not really where I  was expecting the foul to be and I'd be following the ball rather than looking out wide.  As  I  say 50 year old etc.!

Great result for Geordie and Ryan and great news tonight that they're going to stick around as far as I'm concerned.

8 hours ago, RobM said:

Yup the Twitter video makes it clear, not really where I  was expecting the foul to be and I'd be following the ball rather than looking out wide.  As  I  say 50 year old etc.!

Great result for Geordie and Ryan and great news tonight that they're going to stick around as far as I'm concerned.

You’re still a youngster Rob! 

6 hours ago, RobM said:

Not that young that I forgot mention that Matty's goal looks even better on the video than it did at the game, beauty.

Put it this way, if the team was short of players as you are younger and sprightlier that me, you’d have more of a chance of wearing the blue jersey than I would!

luke guys whits gaun oan in this burra threed noo - it used tae b silence is goldin - noo ee canna get a wurd in lol wid ees caw canny cos it takes me longer tae reed the posts noo - yous will huv tae mhak allowances fir us seenyur citizins - aye n ad like tae say while am oan a wis at a local amachoor game lately n they brot oot a wee fold oot chair fir me tae sit oan - its wee things like that n the laffs n the banter that gets brycey buzzin n of corse the wind ups as well - aye eed better believe it lol

4 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Put it this way, if the team was short of players as you are younger and sprightlier that me, you’d have more of a chance of wearing the blue jersey than I would!

Probably better if Geordie finds other options than the pair of us mate!

Edited by RobM