Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2018/19

There was enough there for a Netflix mini-series.

I read it and thought maybe Ryan had maybe had a wee festive beverage! But I heard some guys chatting at the Roses game on Saturday who seemed to think it may end up with lawyers involved. Strange!

1 hour ago, Mr Tee said:

What’s the score with the guy sending about 200 tweets to Musselburgh regarding an accusation of theft?!

At least 197 too many! He obviously has a grievance but this should not have been run like a mini soap series. Three tweets: Start - middle - end!

22 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

You have let yourself down there brycey! A wonder who that wee birdie was and if his nose is getting bigger by the minute. Was it one of the other legends you were standing beside at the Bonnyrigg match, or someone else. You need to be careful with the drivel that was told to you! 

I missed a few early matches at start of season, but did go to the Dunbar match. Not sure why you mention the belters here! It was a roastin toastin day and I was pleasantly surprised by the size the of the crowd. 

We played Peebles a few weeks ago.  Rubbish weather conditions. As match time approached,  I thought we may not get above a crowd of 100, but fans came in at last minute and we had crowd of 130 plus at the count. I didn’t count fans at Dunbar, but 400 odd crowd would not be far out if I was to guess, when I compare the Pebbles figure.

Indeed, can you think of any  match you attended in previous years, with an attendance of 100 or so? In last 5 or so years, I can’t think of many that low.

crowds r up n doon the noo at alot o clubs buddy but a aways show a keen interest the way the eos leagues r going - as the season progresses crowds will pick up with loads to play for n long may it continue

9 hours ago, Mr Tee said:

What’s the score with the guy sending about 200 tweets to Musselburgh regarding an accusation of theft?!

the score wis 4-2 tae nitten a beleeve lol

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of taking the 2nd turning on the left, after the roundabout at Asda, I took the 1st! As such, by the time I corrected my error and arrived at New Countess Park, match had already kicked-off.

Two changes to the Musselburgh line-out from last week, saw Michael Moffat and Barry Hogg replaced by Jack Gillan and Ewan Ralton.

In the first couple of minutes, I am told that Dunbar was first on the attack. Musselburgh came close in five minutes, but Conor Thomson’s shot was block by keeper, Liam McCathie. Ball came out to Ewan Ralton, but his shot was blocked and cleared. Soon after, Dunbar went on the attack, with a great shot from Lloyd Fiddler, coming off the Musselburgh bar.

First goal came in 15 minutes.(I think) a bad pass back from Grieg Callaghan was intercepted by Dunbar’s Fraser McLaren, who was brought down in the box by Ally Adams. A number of Dunbar supporters shouted for the goalkeeper to be sent off, but someone with more knowledge than me said that new rules dictate that only a yellow card, which the ref handed out, can be awarded in that situation. Up stepped Dean Ballantyne and his penalty hit the ball into the back of the net.

Dunbar were in the ascendancy and a shot from McLaren was saved by Ally. Then in 28 minutes, Fiddler past three Burgh players, then squared ball to Steven Tait, but Ally again saved the shot. A minute later, Ally was injured. Burgh were grateful for the Dunbar Physio attending to Ally.

In final minute of half, McLaren was one on one with Ally but his shot just passed Ally’s post.

Dunbar went in 1-0 up at half time.

Bradley Whyte replaced Scott Moffat for Burgh at start of 2nd half. In 50 minutes, another bad pass from Greig, resulted in a free kick being awarded on the Burgh 18 yard box. Fiddler’s free kick brought out a good save from Ally.

Five minutes later, Dunbar were awarded a free kick on the left hand side of pitch. The kick was floated into the box and an unmarked Grant Thomson’s header was cleared off the line by Bradley. Thomson then volley a shot, coming off Greig and Michael Deland before hitting the net for a 2-0 lead to Dunbar. Soon after, Jono had a screamer of a shot but the Dunbar defence cleared the ball away.

The deficit was reduced in 64 minutes. From a corner, floated into the six yard box; an incoming Jonno headed the ball high into the net to make it 2-1. A minute later Thomson had a great chance to make it 3-1 for Dunbar, but his header, from a corner, didn’t trouble Ally.

Two subs saw McLaren replaced by Darren McCraw for the home side with Barry Hogg coming on for Musselburgh, replacing Callaghan.

A few bookings in the 2nd half with Steven Tait and Kieran Ingram receiving yellow cards for Dunbar; the same for Jackie Myles and Jack Gillan for Burgh.

On 78 minutes, Burgh had a chance to equalise for Burgh. From a corner, Nathan Evans header went just over the bar. Then from the goal kick, ball moved into the Burgh half with Darren Handling playing ball over a couple of defenders. Ballantyne was first to the ball, controlling with first touch, then lobbing an outcoming Ally Adams and into the net.

Ballantyne was replaced by Darren Gillon for the home side just after the goal. Dunbar had another two chances to score, but both came to nothing. Final whistle came and Dunbar won 3-1.

Not sure if there was a Musselburgh man of the match award, but given what I have written, my award would have gone to Ally.

For Dunbar, best players were the left/ right wingers, Lloyd Fiddler and Dean Ballantyne, along with a robust performance from Fraser McLaren.

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Instead of taking the 2nd turning on the left, after the roundabout at Asda, I took the 1st! As such, by the time I corrected my error and arrived at New Countess Park, match had already kicked-off.

Two changes to the Musselburgh line-out from last week, saw Michael Moffat and Barry Hogg replaced by Jack Gillan and Ewan Ralton.

In the first couple of minutes, I am told that Dunbar was first on the attack. Musselburgh came close in five minutes, but Conor Thomson’s shot was block by keeper, Liam McCathie. Ball came out to Ewan Ralton, but his shot was blocked and cleared. Soon after, Dunbar went on the attack, with a great shot from Lloyd Fiddler, coming off the Musselburgh bar.

First goal came in 15 minutes.(I think) a bad pass back from Grieg Callaghan was intercepted by Dunbar’s Fraser McLaren, who was brought down in the box by Ally Adams. A number of Dunbar supporters shouted for the goalkeeper to be sent off, but someone with more knowledge than me said that new rules dictate that only a yellow card, which the ref handed out, can be awarded in that situation. Up stepped Dean Ballantyne and his penalty hit the ball into the back of the net.

Dunbar were in the ascendancy and a shot from McLaren was saved by Ally. Then in 28 minutes, Fiddler past three Burgh players, then squared ball to Steven Tait, but Ally again saved the shot. A minute later, Ally was injured. Burgh were grateful for the Dunbar Physio attending to Ally.

In final minute of half, McLaren was one on one with Ally but his shot just passed Ally’s post.

Dunbar went in 1-0 up at half time.

Bradley Whyte replaced Scott Moffat for Burgh at start of 2nd half. In 50 minutes, another bad pass from Greig, resulted in a free kick being awarded on the Burgh 18 yard box. Fiddler’s free kick brought out a good save from Ally.

Five minutes later, Dunbar were awarded a free kick on the left hand side of pitch. The kick was floated into the box and an unmarked Grant Thomson’s header was cleared off the line by Bradley. Thomson then volley a shot, coming off Greig and Michael Deland before hitting the net for a 2-0 lead to Dunbar. Soon after, Jono had a screamer of a shot but the Dunbar defence cleared the ball away.

The deficit was reduced in 64 minutes. From a corner, floated into the six yard box; an incoming Jonno headed the ball high into the net to make it 2-1. A minute later Thomson had a great chance to make it 3-1 for Dunbar, but his header, from a corner, didn’t trouble Ally.

Two subs saw McLaren replaced by Darren McCraw for the home side with Barry Hogg coming on for Musselburgh, replacing Callaghan.

A few bookings in the 2nd half with Steven Tait and Kieran Ingram receiving yellow cards for Dunbar; the same for Jackie Myles and Jack Gillan for Burgh.

On 78 minutes, Burgh had a chance to equalise for Burgh. From a corner, Nathan Evans header went just over the bar. Then from the goal kick, ball moved into the Burgh half with Darren Handling playing ball over a couple of defenders. Ballantyne was first to the ball, controlling with first touch, then lobbing an outcoming Ally Adams and into the net.

Ballantyne was replaced by Darren Gillon for the home side just after the goal. Dunbar had another two chances to score, but both came to nothing. Final whistle came and Dunbar won 3-1.

Not sure if there was a Musselburgh man of the match award, but given what I have written, my award would have gone to Ally.

For Dunbar, best players were the left/ right wingers, Lloyd Fiddler and Dean Ballantyne, along with a robust performance from Fraser McLaren.

Fair analysis. 1 point from a possible 9 these last 3 games for MA isn't good enough. Thought Dunbar were excellent Saturday. Wanted it more than MA by hassling & harrying all day. On the back of Nitten & Oakley raising their game against MA, MA need to do the same going forward, starting against HoB on Saturday. 

Fair analysis. 1 point from a possible 9 these last 3 games for MA isn't good enough. Thought Dunbar were excellent Saturday. Wanted it more than MA by hassling & harrying all day. On the back of Nitten & Oakley raising their game against MA, MA need to do the same going forward, starting against HoB on Saturday. 

Management and players will be aware that 1 point in 9 isn’t good enough, but we are still third in league, so all together, are still in a good position at this stage.

Saturday’s match will be tough against a good HoB side, but we have beat them already this season. Hopefully the form will return soon!

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Or maybe the club already have the management with in the club! Geordie would be a seamless transition!

Surely would be madness not to phone McGlynn up and have him in place tomorrow.

He took the club forward playing some fantastic football, league, cup wins and a Scottish Junior Cup final. 

Experienced - knowledge - contacts.

That's needed now. Dont worry though if he does come back i wont be following him...... unless the wages are good! 

2 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Surely would be madness not to phone McGlynn up and have him in place tomorrow.

He took the club forward playing some fantastic football, league, cup wins and a Scottish Junior Cup final. 

Experienced - knowledge - contacts.

That's needed now. Dont worry though if he does come back i wont be following him...... unless the wages are good! 

Tell me when I can stop laughing!

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Tell me when I can stop laughing!

Casey, there ain't many people out there better than McGlynn.

The lad that is there the now is a good player in his time and from the sessions I've seen a good coach.

But it is a Big step up to the managers job. 

2 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Casey, there ain't many people out there better than McGlynn.

The lad that is there the now is a good player in his time and from the sessions I've seen a good coach.

But it is a Big step up to the managers job. lly.

We'll take our chances.  I don't see it as a gamble personally.

Edited by RobM

None of that should be read in any way as a snipe against Davy McGlynn, Davy was a fantastic manager in his time at The Burgh, as was Stevie McLeish, as was Calvin, all were good for us and I have a load of time for them all.  Particularly Shandy for the wee things he did to help when I was fighting illness, wish him nothing but the best, he put a lot into the club and I for one am grateful for that.

Only Geordie's still there though, as I say I don't see it as a gamble.