Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2018/19

Pretty comfortable win mate.  Not quite one-way traffic but Hawick are going to be one of the weaker sides in the conference.  That said credit to them for keeping at it, plenty effort from them and a great club to visit, wish we'd been down there on a Saturday because it would have been a great away-day.  Goals from Matti King (2), David Maskrey and Nathan Evans if I remember right

23 minutes ago, RobM said:

Pretty comfortable win mate.  Not quite one-way traffic but Hawick are going to be one of the weaker sides in the conference.  That said credit to them for keeping at it, plenty effort from them and a great club to visit, wish we'd been down there on a Saturday because it would have been a great away-day.  Goals from Matti King (2), David Maskrey and Nathan Evans if I remember right

Thanks for the info. They are a weaker side but the job needs to be done  over sides that you are expected to beat. Plus, it was a requirement with Saturday's game in mind against the conference favourites.

MTB.

Edited by Pete83

Tuesday night and a 'wee' drive down the Borders to Hawick. Once there, after a few wrong turns, asking a couple of locals, i was told I was on the wrong side of the town. Then a policeman gave me final directions and I arrived with 15 minutes to space (now glad that the kick off time had been put back to 7:45pm.

A mug of coffee and a sausage roll - my tea! - was gratefully received on a cold night for watching the football!

Firs few minutes started off on level pegging for both teams. However, Musselburgh got the breakthrough in around 12 minutes, due to a defensive mistake by the home side. A defender on the wing, (maybe no.4), passed the ball back to the goalie, Honestly don't know what happened but the ball went passed keeper and into the penalty area. Mathu King and a defender were at equal distance from the ball, but Mathu got there first and the ball hit the net for a 1-0 lead to Burgh.

The 2nd goal came  12 minutes later, the best one of the night. Mathu had the ball and had a chance to shoot, in the box, but lost his position. Ball was then played to David Maskrey, who ran across the box, easily going past three defenders. He slowed down, made a change of direction and his shot hit the net for a two nil lead. 

During the first half, there were lots of 50-50 balls, but it seemed as if Musselburgh got to most of them first. Half time ended 2-0 to Musselburgh. Listening to supporters at half time, it appears as if Hawick should have won a 'stonewall' penalty, which I missed, but no reward given by the ref.

Towards the middle of the 2nd half, Musselburgh scored a further two goals. The first was from a corner, on the left hand side of the pitch. Michael Deland rose to header the ball into the net. Mathu King got his 2nd and Burgh's 4th goal five minutes later, scoring from close range.

All three Burgh subs were used, and there was a debut from Liam Reid, a player from the under 20s. he came on for the last 20 or so minutes and didn't put a foot wrong. Liam is a great header-er of the ball, and no reason why he will not be given another chance in the main Burgh team.

So, it ended with Musselburgh beating Hawick  4-0. My player of match would have been Michael Deland, who defended well, made a number of runs up the left win, and of course scored a goal. But, the supporters club's man of match was David Maskrey. Did a power of running throughout the match, particularly in the first half and scored a terrific goal.

All best to Hawick for the rest of the season. On Saturday sees Burgh at home to current league leaders Penicuik. A couple of weeks ago, Penicuik beat Musselburgh 4-0 in a cup tie, so hopefully the Burgh will provide tougher competition this weekend!

MTB!

2 hours ago, RobM said:

Apologies to Michael Deland.

That's some number of games Mathu has racked up for the Burgh. Did he not leave for a period as well? I might be making that up! I'm sure it was around the time Jordyn Sheerin was hammering in goals for fun before moving?

2 hours ago, Pete83 said:

That's some number of games Mathu has racked up for the Burgh. Did he not leave for a period as well? I might be making that up! I'm sure it was around the time Jordyn Sheerin was hammering in goals for fun before moving?

You are correct Pete.

Mathu took a bit of a sabbatical from Musselburgh, and had a 'wee rest' by playing up at Newtongrange - for two seasons I think? :)

However, his heart was in the Burgh! Normally, it can be the case where it can be a mistake coming back to an old team! Not in Mathu's case as he just never lets us down, and continues to score at a great rate, and is a great player for the newbies to look up to! 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

You are correct Pete.

Mathu took a bit of a sabbatical from Musselburgh, and had a 'wee rest' by playing up at Newtongrange - for two seasons I think? :)

However, his heart was in the Burgh! Normally, it can be the case where it can be a mistake coming back to an old team! Not in Mathu's case as he just never lets us down, and continues to score at a great rate, and is a great player for the newbies to look up to! 

I'm glad I'm not losing it - thanks Casey! Fair play to him going and trying something else, even more so for realising he wanted to come back. Bit of a Burgh legend with that number of games - I'll bet he's bagged a fair few goals for the club as well.

Seems a little bit of excitement in the town about the team. I've convinced  a few to take the short trip to Easthouses Lily on the 20th!

Guest brycey
Just now, brycey said:

aye ee cannae beet a guid cookie lol

the bubble hus burst at the burra - its anne awfy joab - er whae wis eer man o the match casey - the keeper lol

Guest brycey
Just now, brycey said:

the bubble hus burst at the burra - its anne awfy joab - er whae wis eer man o the match casey - the keeper lol

Just now, cookieboy said:

And we are a good cookie 

quality side defo 

Guest brycey
Just now, brycey said:

quality side defo 

noo a dinnae want awe the burra fans swarming oan heer - hoos ur spokesman noo - ecky thump lol

Guest brycey
6 minutes ago, brycey said:

noo a dinnae want awe the burra fans swarming oan heer - hoos ur spokesman noo - ecky thump lol

ees canna expect to beet the cookie when ees jist sneeked past us shipyaird lads lol

11 hours ago, brycey said:

You, my man are a happy wee Stirrer! Come on here late at night wie your wee snippets and then just wait.... :unsure:

Bubble hasn’t burst. Ten wins and three losses this season, two of which are against Penicuik. Certainly disappointed with results and performances against the Cookie, but target is to finish in top 5, and I think we will get that! 

My man of match was Jackie Myles. For Cookie, I would go with Gary Hamilton.

Always god to ‘talk’ to the brycey man - keep them coming!

That is twice in two weeks Cookie have beaten you and it’s only happened because Mussey have had a bad day at the office maybe just maybe it’s because Penicuik are a very good side just saying

Maybe the players will give you your admission money back this week 

8 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

That is twice in two weeks Cookie have beaten you and it’s only happened because Mussey have had a bad day at the office maybe just maybe it’s because Penicuik are a very good side just saying

Get off your high horse cookieboy! If that was directed at me, where did I say that Musselburgh had a bad day at the office! 

Last season, we won the Premier league. Same time Penicuik finished 2nd in the Super League, so your team were always going to be favourites to win this match and indeed our league this season. Doesn’t mean though that Penicuik will win, or indeed deserve to win every league match this season. Musselburgh will go into each match, looking to win, but as said, our aim will be a top five finish come season end.

Also a bit of a pr1ckish comment re the admission money! Musselburgh players didn’t give our fans our admission money back. There were certainly more than 16 Burgh supporters up at Penicuik. Donation was way of saying sorry for the way they played as they admit it wasn’t as good as it should have been. Something to be applauded, not to be mocked. The supporters club will make good use of the donation, but not for payment into any match!

Have a good day now; just saying.

Just another blip [emoji23]