Fallout 76

Dindeleux

8 hours ago, forameus said:

There hasn't been a game I've remembered in a while that has disappointed so much and been so universally panned as this one.  Nothing like a 47Gb update to say "we fucked this up, didn't we lads?"

And a 47gb patch won't come close to fixing the main issues, like not having a story-driven narrative or any NPCs in the world besides robots and c***s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2018 at 18:35, Dindeleux said:

I love it.

My first foray into the gaming forum, despite being a long-term gamer. I'm with Dindeleux here, I think it's brilliant. Being lazy, here's what I said on the Unpopular Opinions thread:

"It's a good, solid Fallout  in terms of gameplay - although it has become a wee bit glitchy of late - but the main thing for me is that the nature of it is how I think the premise of Fallout was always intended, an MMO. If I'm honest, I had no plans to play it at all and only ordered it because I was pished and an acca came in. I tried to cancel it when I sobered up but it was too late, gave it a bash and wandered out into the wasteland with no idea what I was doing and bumped into random strangers who were really sound and helped me out. The experience was what I imagine is as close to actually being in a post-nuclear apocalypse and coming out of a vault as can be for a game.

It doesn't punish the player for going solo if that's what you want to do, it's still good fun playing on your own but is also rewarding if you team up, be it with randoms or pals - unlike other MMOs where you're absolutely Friar Tucked alone. A surprisingly good online community and lack of dickheads too, the vast majority would rather help out than be wankers. Was very pleasantly surprised because it certainly didn't look like anything special in the trailers. If you like Fallout you'll like it, seems Bethesda have learned their lessons from Elder Scrolls Online. Would recommend."

"If you like Fallout you'll like it" is a bit simplistic but some of the criticism the game has been getting in reviews is way, way over the top.  Awful reviews are why most people, even die-hard Fallout fans I speak to have been put off getting the game, it's ultimately down to Bethesda though because no-one had a clue what the game was going to be like and most still don't. Red Dead 2 coming out around the same time and Elder Scrolls Online being a massive failure were two factors which were always going to make things difficult but they haven't helped themselves. It's a shame, because while some people don't like the game, a lot of people who would love it won't pick it up.

Short version: I thought it would be shite but love it. Ignore the reviews, it's worth a bash.

On 12/9/2018 at 04:06, Jarballs said:

but some of the criticism the game has been getting in reviews is way, way over the top

Welcome to the modern gaming world.  If you're not being overly effusive or overly critical, to the point of becoming a seething mess, you're not doing it right.

On 09/12/2018 at 04:06, Jarballs said:

My first foray into the gaming forum, despite being a long-term gamer. I'm with Dindeleux here, I think it's brilliant. Being lazy, here's what I said on the Unpopular Opinions thread:

"It's a good, solid Fallout  in terms of gameplay - although it has become a wee bit glitchy of late - but the main thing for me is that the nature of it is how I think the premise of Fallout was always intended, an MMO. If I'm honest, I had no plans to play it at all and only ordered it because I was pished and an acca came in. I tried to cancel it when I sobered up but it was too late, gave it a bash and wandered out into the wasteland with no idea what I was doing and bumped into random strangers who were really sound and helped me out. The experience was what I imagine is as close to actually being in a post-nuclear apocalypse and coming out of a vault as can be for a game.

It doesn't punish the player for going solo if that's what you want to do, it's still good fun playing on your own but is also rewarding if you team up, be it with randoms or pals - unlike other MMOs where you're absolutely Friar Tucked alone. A surprisingly good online community and lack of dickheads too, the vast majority would rather help out than be wankers. Was very pleasantly surprised because it certainly didn't look like anything special in the trailers. If you like Fallout you'll like it, seems Bethesda have learned their lessons from Elder Scrolls Online. Would recommend."

"If you like Fallout you'll like it" is a bit simplistic but some of the criticism the game has been getting in reviews is way, way over the top.  Awful reviews are why most people, even die-hard Fallout fans I speak to have been put off getting the game, it's ultimately down to Bethesda though because no-one had a clue what the game was going to be like and most still don't. Red Dead 2 coming out around the same time and Elder Scrolls Online being a massive failure were two factors which were always going to make things difficult but they haven't helped themselves. It's a shame, because while some people don't like the game, a lot of people who would love it won't pick it up.

Short version: I thought it would be shite but love it. Ignore the reviews, it's worth a bash.

Does this recommendation come with a money back guarantee?

Be interesting to see how long they stick with it.  We all know the abuse Hello Games got with NMS, but at least they've stuck by the game and ended up releasing updates that turned it into something markedly better.  They kind of had to though, not sure Bethesda will care as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this for Christmas from my mum. She apparently knew I loved Fallout 4.

I’d like to say I’ve given it a try but it’s been downloading since half 9, including the 50Gb update.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:43, Busta Nut said:

So what's the updated thoughts on this?

Is it getting any better?

I've been keeping tabs on it (big fan of previous Fallout games) and from what I've read it's getting worse rather than better.  Read an article today in which the author said he doesn't believe the game can be fixed.  Patches to combat various exploits people were taking advantage of have not only punished the cheats but also the players who levelled up fair and square. 

I was going to wait and get this game on the cheap just because it's Fallout but now I'm thinking I'm never going to buy it.  Just seems like a hot mess from start to finish.

The whole thing sounds like a failed concept IMO.

On 11/02/2019 at 15:37, pj_puttz said:

I've been keeping tabs on it (big fan of previous Fallout games) and from what I've read it's getting worse rather than better.  Read an article today in which the author said he doesn't believe the game can be fixed.  Patches to combat various exploits people were taking advantage of have not only punished the cheats but also the players who levelled up fair and square. 

I was going to wait and get this game on the cheap just because it's Fallout but now I'm thinking I'm never going to buy it.  Just seems like a hot mess from start to finish.

The whole thing sounds like a failed concept IMO.

This. And what a surprise after Elder Scrolls was such a big hit :rolleyes:

Are Obsidian not bringing out a new game quite soon?

That'll absolutely torch this game, and hopefully the next Fallout gets handed back to them.