Rutherglen Glencairn 2018-19

glensmad

Ok, finally getting my breath after a manic weekend. Absolutely gutted to have missed the game on Saturday, but of course family comes before football every time.

I'm a naturally cautious and nervous person when it comes to football and The Glens in particular, I've seen us grab glorious failure from the jaws of almost certain triumph so many times over the years.

But I got a message from one player at the start of this week, before the midweek win over Neilston which set up yesterday's triumph. It said something like, "We've got this, Peter. It's ours. The boys won't let it go."

The fact that t-shirts were already printed with our club badge and "Champions 2018-19" shows they had much more faith in the outcome than I did this time last week. [emoji23]

As I walked along the sea front at Leigh-on-sea with my dad yesterday afternoon, the info coming to my phone was simply a joy to read, and the sunshine made it a really nice end to the weekend after what had been a sad day for my family on Friday.

Now comes the task of tying up this squad and building on it for next season in the Premiership.

The last 3 times we have been promoted to the top league (in whatever format the leagues were in at the time) we have been relegated again the following year, although in 2010-11 the circumstances were understandable. There wasn't a manager in the juniors who would have kept us up that year after what happened to us after we won the league in 2010.

So, at the moment, give me 13th place next season. [emoji16] But I might review that in July....

Goals and assists table 2018-19 :-
51 - Dale Simeon (25 goals + 26 assists)
28 - Liam Gormley (20 goals + 8 assists)
28 - Jay McKay (14 goals + 14 assists)
27 - Jordan Leyden (18 goals + 9 assists)
26 - Gary Smith (25 goals + 1 assist)
21 - Harry Mitchell (9 goals + 12 assists)
11 - Del Esplin (7 goals + 4 assists)
11 - Ryan McArdle (6 goals + 5 assists)
9 - Kris Gebbie (3 goals + 6 assists)
7 - Tony Fraser (1 goal + 6 assists)
6 - Stevie Kerr (5 goals + 1 assist)
4 - Craig McGregor (3 goals + 1 assist)
4 - Sean McGuire (1 goal + 3 assists)
4 - Callum McRobbie (2 goals + 2 assists)
3 - Ryan Kerr (1 goal + 2 assists)
2 - Tam Miller (2 goals+ 0 assists)
1 - Rhys Donaldson (0 goals + 1 assist)

More end of season statistics :-
Total competitive games played = 39
(30 league, 9 cup)
Wins - 29
(23 league, 6 cup)
Draws - 5
(4 league, 1 cup)
Defeats - 5
(3 league, 2 cup)
Goals scored - 144
(108 league, 36 cup)
Goals lost - 44
(33 league, 11 cup)
Red cards - 1 (double yellow)
Players suspended over season - NIL.

(30 league, 9 cup)
Wins - 29
(23 league, 6 cup)
Draws - 5
(4 league, 1 cup)
Defeats - 5
(3 league, 2 cup)
Goals scored - 144
(108 league, 36 cup)
Goals lost - 44
(33 league, 11 cup)
For me the real interesting stat and probably one that contributed massively was only 1 player sent off all season and that was for 2 yellows which is quite an astonishing feat in the juniors

43 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:
1 hour ago, glensmad said:
(30 league, 9 cup)
Wins - 29
(23 league, 6 cup)
Draws - 5
(4 league, 1 cup)
Defeats - 5
(3 league, 2 cup)
Goals scored - 144
(108 league, 36 cup)
Goals lost - 44
(33 league, 11 cup)

For me the real interesting stat and probably one that contributed massively was only 1 player sent off all season and that was for 2 yellows which is quite an astonishing feat in the juniors

Correct, and it hadn't actually occured to me that was the case till this morning. When you consider how junior referees like to throw cards about like confetti at times, it is quite remarkable.

A lot of people like to pull my leg on here about the turnaround of players at Glencairn, and to be fair in previous years it had been like a revolving door at times. But this season Willie Harvey had his squad all signed up before the start of pre-season training, we had no trialists in pre-season, everybody was a signed player, and you could see the difference it made. We only used 28 different players this season, with 9 of those players having a total starting appearances of only 7 games. It has been a really tight squad all season.

Hopefully we can hang on to most of them, although I do expect a few to move on. That's football.

Edited by glensmad

Rutherglen Glencairn are delighted to confirm that long serving midfielder Sean McGuire has signed a new deal to remain with the club for season 2919-20. Sean, who will be 29 next month, has made 194 appearances since he joined The Glens in 2012, and this will be his 8th season.Sean%20McGuire-3.jpg

Rutherglen Glencairn are delighted to confirm that long serving midfielder Sean McGuire has signed a new deal to remain with the club for season 2919-20. Sean, who will be 29 next month, has made 194 appearances since he joined The Glens in 2012, and this will be his 8th season.5cdc665966870_Sean20McGuire-3.thumb.jpg.e6aa3b89c2dd8b2747e660335182116e.jpg

A very good signing for both the club and Sean.Always leaves everything on the park.

On 13/05/2019 at 22:40, glensmad said:

Goals and assists table 2018-19 :-
51 - Dale Simeon (25 goals + 26 assists)
28 - Liam Gormley (20 goals + 8 assists)
28 - Jay McKay (14 goals + 14 assists)
27 - Jordan Leyden (18 goals + 9 assists)
26 - Gary Smith (25 goals + 1 assist)
21 - Harry Mitchell (9 goals + 12 assists)
11 - Del Esplin (7 goals + 4 assists)
11 - Ryan McArdle (6 goals + 5 assists)
9 - Kris Gebbie (3 goals + 6 assists)
7 - Tony Fraser (1 goal + 6 assists)
6 - Stevie Kerr (5 goals + 1 assist)
4 - Craig McGregor (3 goals + 1 assist)
4 - Sean McGuire (1 goal + 3 assists)
4 - Callum McRobbie (2 goals + 2 assists)
3 - Ryan Kerr (1 goal + 2 assists)
2 - Tam Miller (2 goals+ 0 assists)
1 - Rhys Donaldson (0 goals + 1 assist)

Gormley had a short spell at Kilbirnie and was unfortunate not to get more games. Was disappointed when he played against us in West expected a bit more be interesting to see how he does in top league.  Big Smith has the experience ,  getting slower on the turn but still a potent weapon leading the line. Any striker not having assists is not really much of a team player though.

41 minutes ago, clash city rocker said:

Gormley had a short spell at Kilbirnie and was unfortunate not to get more games. Was disappointed when he played against us in West expected a bit more be interesting to see how he does in top league.  Big Smith has the experience ,  getting slower on the turn but still a potent weapon leading the line. Any striker not having assists is not really much of a team player though.

Dale Simeon has clearly had some season very impressive statistics 

Wow only 23 as well and started as a midfielder 

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297
Clarity

The good feeling continues at The Glens with the news that midfielder Dale Simeon, defender Stevie Kerr, winger Harry Mitchell and goalkeeper Garry Whyte have all signed new deals with the club for season 2019-20. Four more influential players committed to the club for another year. [emoji106]
[emoji460][emoji469][emoji471]

The silverware just keeps coming at Rutherglen, with our u21s winning the Scottish Cup last night to add to the Golden Goals Cup which they won 3 weeks ago. The young Glens now look forward to the West of Scotland Cup Final in two weeks' time, as well as trying to win the Premier League as well.

Superb and it must make some difference knowing u have a team like that to call upon come every pee season. Although I appreciate that could be a huge jump, Especially this year. Would the club benefit from having an amatuer team sandwiched between the 21s and yourselves in one of the top ammie leagues? Just for a little more experience of the adult game or dont you feel its needed ?

Superb and it must make some difference knowing u have a team like that to call upon come every pee season. Although I appreciate that could be a huge jump, Especially this year. Would the club benefit from having an amatuer team sandwiched between the 21s and yourselves in one of the top ammie leagues? Just for a little more experience of the adult game or dont you feel its needed ?

I don't really feel it's needed. From the 28 players we have used this season, 9 of them have played for our u21s at various points in their careers.

Not all of them are ready to play junior football at Championship or Premiership level when they are over-age for 21s, but most of those who aren't usually pick up a junior team in the lower leagues, and then perhaps return to Glencairn if/when they are ready for that level. We have had several of the boys do that over the past 9 years since the u21s were set up at Glencairn.

We also have four other youth teams below the u21s as well.

I don't really feel it's needed. From the 28 players we have used this season, 9 of them have played for our u21s at various points in their careers. 
Not all of them are ready to play junior football at Championship or Premiership level when they are over-age for 21s, but most of those who aren't usually pick up a junior team in the lower leagues, and then perhaps return to Glencairn if/when they are ready for that level. We have had several of the boys do that over the past 9 years since the u21s were set up at Glencairn.

We also have four other youth teams below the u21s as well.

Brilliant. Not just a successful team but a successful club makes all the difference especially these days as the times get tougher

Callum McRobbie is the latest player to renew his deal with the club for season 2019-20. Callum rejoined The Glens in January of this year, having previously been part of our treble-winning u21 squad of 2012-13. The striker (now 27 years old) has also played with Shettleston, Albion Rovers, Cumnock Juniors and Cambuslang Rangers.