Rutherglen Glencairn 2018-19

glensmad

On 20/09/2018 at 21:16, glensmad said:

A terrific first session of our new Walking Football session in partnership with Glasgow Sport. We look forward to more people joining us next week. Open to all ! emoji460.pngemoji469.pngemoji460.png20180920_200957.jpg

On a serious note, I think the walking football is a great thing for the over 50s. I know a club with players recovering/recovered from heart attack and strokes and playing this. Although it is for keeping fit, playing football, enjoying time with friends, it is still very competitive. Some players will never lose that sort of side of them no matter how old they get.

Great thing to see, love it.

Edited by iPhone

Our session is actually open to everyone regardless of age, but everybody at the session last week were over 50, with yours truly being the youngest at 50 and 2 weeks ! The oldest was my uncle who is 72 and delighted to be back playing the game he loves.

It took us a while to get going today, but as soon as Simeon scored the first it was only ever going to be a matter of "how many".

Good to score another eight goals, especially with Gary Smith, Jay McKay and Jordan Leyden not in the team today.

Next up for us it's a difficult away trip to Dalry Thistle next Saturday, meaning we will have played 6 of the other 7 teams who are currently in the top half of the table. I'm told Dalry are defensively strong, so it'll be a good test for our attacking players who have been scoring freely so far.

If you want to be promoted, you need to go to places like Dalry and come home with three points, so that was another really good win for us.

We played really well for the first half hour, and the game would have been much more comfortable had Gormley completed his hat trick from the penalty spot early in the second half.

In the end we held on for the win despite our team shape being all over the place in the second half due to enforced changes, and Dalry throwing the kitchen sink at us late on.

A good win, and 28 points out of 30 from the first third of the season. Mustn't grumble. [emoji846]

If you want to be promoted, you need to go to places like Dalry and come home with three points, so that was another really good win for us.

We played really well for the first half hour, and the game would have been much more comfortable had Gormley completed his hat trick from the penalty spot early in the second half.

In the end we held on for the win despite our team shape being all over the place in the second half due to enforced changes, and Dalry throwing the kitchen sink at us late on.

A good win, and 28 points out of 30 from the first third of the season. Mustn't grumble. [emoji846]

Glencairn showed good resilience and game management today and deserved there win.Agree that our shape was awkward at times but credit where it is due.

We'll just concentrate on finishing in the top three ourselves, and at the moment we're 10 points ahead of 4th place, so that's a good first third of the season.

It was our team spirit that got us through that game yesterday. We were missing Donaldson, Simeon and McArdle, and Smith was only a substitute. Then we lost Ryan Kerr and Harry Mitchell to injury before the hour mark. We had players out of position in several areas, but we stuck together and battled out the three points.

The penalty for Dalry should never have been given, Gebbie has played the ball so much that one of the Dalry players caught it out on the touch line, but apparently the ref told our players that the penalty was given for Gebbie supposedly doing a karate kick on the Dalry player. A ridiculous decision, but we've come to expect ridiculous decisions from Tony Fullerton, so it was no big surprise.

We got through it, and we move on to Irvine Victoria at home next week now and try to keep this momentum going.

On 06/10/2018 at 17:56, glensmad said:

A good win, and 28 points out of 30 from the first third of the season. Mustn't grumble. emoji846.png

Good win for Rutherglen but I didn’t expect anything else. Dalry aren’t as good as their league position suggests.

like wise for Darvel.

I thought Del Esplin was terrific on Saturday. He usually is good, but I thought that was the best I've seen him since he came back home.

Liam Gormley has taken advantage of Gary Smith going on holiday a couple of weekends ago to come in and score five goals in three games, and he now has 8 goals in just 5 starts. It'll be interesting to see how that develops as we only play with one out-and-out striker, and Smith has 17 goals in just 9 starts. Real competition for places.

The Scottish Junior Cup 3rd round draw takes us on the long trip north to Keith to play Islavale.

We last played Islavale in the 2nd round of season 2005-06 at Southcroft Park, winning 4-0 with goals by Thomas "Tojer" Jarvis and a hat trick by Martin Gallagher.

Looking forward to a good day out.

Seats are available on the bus to the Macron Scottish Junior Cup 3rd round tie away to Islavale on Saturday 27th October 2018. The cost is £10 per seat. Please contact Alex Forbes (General Secretary) if you wish to book a seat.

Two long trips in a row for us now, away to Craigmark Burntonians on Saturday, and then away up north to play Islavale in the Scottish Junior Cup.

I'll miss the Craigmark game as I'll be in mid air flying home from the Costa del Sol, but I'm thoroughly looking forward to the trip to play Islavale.