Review yir Dinner

Seeing as there doesn't appear to be a restaurant review thread or something similar, I thought it might be an idea to create one. This doesn't have to be strictly restaurants and can be your Mrs food. 

Anyhoo, I'll start off with my meal at Balgove Larder yesterday. 

Arrived there about 6:45pm and the sun was glorious. We went into the barn but it turned out there was a 30 min wait, so me and my mate popped out to the bar on the outside. He had a coke and I had some local beer called 19th Brew Golden Ale which was lovely, but did taste a tad watered down. 

We eventually got called to a table and ordered shortly after sitting. We both ordered an 8oz Sirloin (medium rare for me) which comes with a side of chips and salad. I also asked for some peppercorn sauce and their beer battered onion rings, my mate opted for the  garlic butter. Cue about  45 mins for the meal to arrive (this seems to be the norm there). 

Presentation wise, it's fairly basic as they serve everything on a wooden chopping board. I felt that my steak wasn't quite medium rare, but nonetheless still excellent. I'm led to believe it's cows from their farm that they use and the meat is matured for 28 days. The garlic sauce was sweet but complementary and went well with the peppercorn sauce. Chips were also top notch, onion rings were slightly undercooked but still enjoyable. 

The bill all together came to £55 (I had a further ale and my mate had a couple more cokes) which I think is more than reasonable. I also enjoy the novelty of eating inside a barn with the floor being gravel. We were there approx 2 hours in total, maybe a bit longer. 

Overall, I give Balgove Larder a 4 out of 5 P&B points, and the food itself was a 4.5 out of 5.

So come on and give a review of yir dinner. 

P. S here's a wee pic of the sunset outside the barn afterwards. 

20180608_205525.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having some Sour Gummy Bears from Aldi. I was surprised they have Aldi here, but there we are.

The ambience is fairly shite as I'm at home and I've had a drink. She's in her bed rather than listen to me slur obscenities about David Mundell. I have however just put some Lloyd Cole on and that's improved things marginally.

Overall I give my dinner 4/5 as it probably only meets 2 or 3 of the main food groups.

Ide0CY9.jpg

Scran courteousy of Iceland
These wee India dishes from there are really decent. Anyway you get 4 for a £5. We had these 2 with pakora and a nan (garlic and coriander).
Washed down with a couple of bottles of Blue Moon.
Quite a tidy nosh up for not very much.
I have to say I was a bit snobbish about Iceland before I'd ever been in one but I've changed my attitude towards it. Jeez they even have frozen Gregg's stuff. If you've never set foot in one then give it a bash.
I'd rate these the best ready curries I've had.
All in all a solid 8/109029798199326.jpg9029796560926.jpg9012462518302.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Pie and Bovril mobile app

My 'dinner' yesterday didn't happen till about 2am this morning after several alcoholic refreshments in the pub, starters were skipped before proceeding straight to a main course of 2 slices of pepperoni pizza from Pizza Mafia in Stirling, eaten in bed after a relaxing taxi drive home from a somewhat bigoted taxi driver who, made it clear he doesnt like immigrants. 

Very enjoyable although they did require 30 seconds in the microwave,  dessert consisted of a Cadburys Boost bar, eaten while extremely drunk in bed washed down with a vintage, refreshing can of 7up.

6 hours ago, Heart of Northern said:

These wee India dishes from there are really decent. Anyway you get 4 for a £5. We had these 2 with pakora and a nan (garlic and coriander).
I have to say I was a bit snobbish about Iceland before I'd ever been in one but I've changed my attitude towards it. Jeez they even have frozen Gregg's stuff. If you've never set foot in one then give it a bash.

We've had a similar experience with Iceland, we've tried those wee ones, they also have bigger ones that are really good too. They do a lot of good stuff to be fair and we've broadened our horizons (and snobbish attitudes). We've even taken it a step further and have been known to frequent Farm Foods, a bit more down market but they have some real bargains. Cat food and washing powder being 2 of them.

Last nights scrannage was build your own Asda pizzas which aren't as cheap as they were but are good pizzas. Mine was a garlic base with pepperoni, jalepeno, onion and mushroom with a bit of garlic oil. Gets a solid 8 out of 10, it loses points as its my 'go to' so lacking in inspiration and could probably have done with a few more pepperoni's. 

Enjoying these reviews. 

So tonight had a KFC, absolute sub standard (to be expected) but quick and easy. 2/5, chicken pieces were alright, beans were dreadful, chips were a bit shite too.

No picture of tonight's meal lads, soz. 

12 hours ago, Heart of Northern said:

The 'Keema Lamb Hotpot' one is nice too.

Like a spicy mince n tatties, albeit it's wee cubes of potato. Decent though.

i forgot to take a pic but tonight we got a takeaway chicken and chorizo pizza with sweetcorn and red onion. was rank and really soggy. reminded me why i dont usually get takeaways.

homemade beat fresh supermarket pizzas which are superior to that from a local kebab house that came in at £12.

value 2/5 quality 2/5

Just now, ah-dee said:

i forgot to take a pic but tonight we got a takeaway chicken and chorizo pizza with sweetcorn and red onion. was rank and really soggy. reminded me why i dont usually get takeaways.

homemade beat fresh supermarket pizzas which are superior to that from a local kebab house that came in at £12.

value 2/5 quality 2/5

Tried doing them from scratch on the chimenea but it wasn't quite hot enough, crispy bottom but soggy top (fnarr fnarr). Trying to talk the missus into an Aldi 99 quid pizza oven.

As a rule we generally like to make stuff ourselves though.

for a quick cheat at home buy bakery ciabatta rolls and just half them length ways. top with passata and decorate with whatever takes your fancy. doesnt take long in the oven or for laziness under the grill for a glorified pizza toasty.

how longs that aldi deal on as thats a great price?

eta found it. didnt know aldi had online. link below for anyone interested.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-3-in-1-pizza-oven/p/083023208054600?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwb3RnfPJ2wIVCd0bCh0sfQW4EAQYASABEgJ8O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLmCga3zydsCFU5i0wodavwCyQ

Archived