Your club's manager as a player - Championship edition

Stolen straight from the thread in the Premiership forum (copyright @Ludo*1), rate the managers in this league in terms of their abilities as players.

1. John Robertson. Legendary Scottish striker. Scored against absolutely everyone when at Hearts.

2. Allan Johnston - Multiple Scotland caps, goals for Scotland and playing top tier on England, France and Scotland shows that he was a very good player.

3. Gary Naysmith - Scotland and Everton regular for years. Great defender.

4. Paul Hartley - Very good player who also got Scotland caps and played at a high level with Celtic.

5. Ian McCall - Before my time really but clips and anecdotes suggest he was a classy player.

6. Alan Archibald - Very decent defender.

7. Jim Goodwin - His reputation masked that he was a much better footballer than he got credit for.

8. Ray McKinnon - Solid enough midfielder in his day. 

9. Stuart Kettlewell and Steven Ferguson - Decent enough midfielders that would do a job for any Championship team in their day.

10. Csaba Lazlo - No idea but a quick Wiki shows he played for lower league German and Hungarian clubs and had to retire at 27 due to injury.

Let the seethe, insults, head's gone and tears commence!

Stolen straight from the thread in the Premiership forum (copyright [mention=12782]Ludo*1[/mention]), rate the managers in this league in terms of their abilities as players.
1. John Robertson. Legendary Scottish striker. Scored against absolutely everyone when at Hearts.
2. Allan Johnston - Multiple Scotland caps, goals for Scotland and playing top tier on England, France and Scotland shows that he was a very good player.
3. Gary Naismith - Scotland and Everton regular for years. Great defender.
4. Paul Hartley - Very good player who also got Scotland caps and played at a high level with Celtic.
5. Ian McCall - Before my time really but clips and anecdotes suggest he was a classy player.
7. Jim Goodwin - His reputation masked that he was a much better footballer than he got credit for.
8. Ray McKinnon - Solid enough defender in his day. 
9. Stuart Kettlewell and Steven Ferguson - Decent enough midfielders that would do a job for any Championship team in their day.
10. Csaba Lazlo - No idea but a quick Wiki shows he played for lower league German and Hungarian clubs and had to retire at 27 due to injury.

I don’t really think there is too much to argue about. Potentially Naysmith and Johnston above Robertson?

1. Gary Naysmith - Did well in a top league and was a regular for his country.

2. Allan Johnston - Like Naysmith he went and did well in a better league and did ok for Scotland.

3. John Robertson - Probably one of the best strikers we’ve had playing in Scotland but unlike the guys above him could only do it in Scotland.

4. Paul Hartley - Good player who did well with Celtic

5. Ian McCall - From what I’ve heard he had bags of talent but was never committed to reaching his potential. Scored a belter against Hibs.

The rest I’d probably agree with but I’ve absolutely no idea what Lazlo was like as a player.

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Stolen straight from the thread in the Premiership forum (copyright @Ludo*1), rate the managers in this league in terms of their abilities as players.

3. Gary Naysmith - Scotland and Everton regular for years. Great defender.

8. Ray McKinnon - Solid enough defender in his day. 

Ray McKinnon? Defender? He was one of the most technically gifted midfielders we've ever had. 

1. John Robertson - Excellent goal getter and scourge of Hibs. Would have played more for Scotland had McCoist not been as good. Would have loved a striker like him at Falkirk back in the day. Unfortunately we got his understudy, that p***k Crabbe.

2. Allan Johnston - Technically gifted player who burst onto the scene with that hat trick against Rangers. Dunno if there was an attitude issue thee but he could have made it much further as a player.

3. Gary Naysmith - Excellent left back who fully deserved to play in the EPL. Some of the crap he took from the Tartan Army tossers on Scotland duty was quite frankly embarrassing.

4. Paul Hartley - Player oh liked to hate. But gave his all for the teams he played with. Most notably Hearts. Played in the champions league with Celtic so must have done something right.

5. Ian McCall - Excellent player but was too fond of the booze, sun beds and burds. Could have made it further in the game as a player had he not been a waster.

6. Alan Archibald - Steady Eddie type player. Nothing special.

7. Jim Goodwin - Arsehole on the pitch and always tried to play the hard man. Comes into the Simon Mensing and John Potter category.

8. Ray McKinnon - Pretty decent player in his day. Good midfielder.

9. Stuart Kettlewell and Steven Ferguson - Can’t really remember much of them.

10. Csaba Lazlo - Not got a Scooby.

Some odd ratings here, starting with the OP sticking both Robertson and Johnston above Naysmith considering between them they still arent anywhere near his Scotland caps. Depends how you want to judge it though I guess. By an absolute mile Allan Johnston was the most talented footballer in this list (there is an argument that Ian McCall would be next best). However he was blighted by injury and didnt play enough for his country. Naysmith's attributes were energy and consistency rather than inspiration but even if its fair to say he got 46 caps because we didnt have another decent left back, he didnt play circa 150 English Premiership games because he wasnt good!

I would have both Naysmith and Hartley above Johnston and Robertson and I would probably have Robertson 4th. Hartley was a bit of a late bloomer but he was as good a midfielder as we had for a while. Robertson scored an awful lot of goals at Hearts where he is rightly regarded as a club legend but he did nowt at Newcastle and was out of his depth on the international stage. Odd that the four of them are all 'Hearts men' though.

McCall and McKinnon are both stories of unfulfilled potential. Both could have been great players but neither were. 

Archibald and Goodwin on the other hand are about making the best of what you had to carve out a really decent club career.

Kettlewell and Ferguson had decent enough club careers, mostly at levels below Archibald and Goodwin though.

And Laslo I know hee haw about as a player so cant comment on him.

Some odd ratings here, starting with the OP sticking both Robertson and Johnston above Naysmith considering between them they still arent anywhere near his Scotland caps. Depends how you want to judge it though I guess. By an absolute mile Allan Johnston was the most talented footballer in this list (there is an argument that Ian McCall would be next best). However he was blighted by injury and didnt play enough for his country. Naysmith's attributes were energy and consistency rather than inspiration but even if its fair to say he got 46 caps because we didnt have another decent left back, he didnt play circa 150 English Premiership games because he wasnt good!
I would have both Naysmith and Hartley above Johnston and Robertson and I would probably have Robertson 4th. Hartley was a bit of a late bloomer but he was as good a midfielder as we had for a while. Robertson scored an awful lot of goals at Hearts where he is rightly regarded as a club legend but he did nowt at Newcastle and was out of his depth on the international stage. Odd that the four of them are all 'Hearts men' though.
McCall and McKinnon are both stories of unfulfilled potential. Both could have been great players but neither were. 
Archibald and Goodwin on the other hand are about making the best of what you had to carve out a really decent club career.
Kettlewell and Ferguson had decent enough club careers, mostly at levels below Archibald and Goodwin though.
And Laslo I know hee haw about as a player so cant comment on him.

I’ll be honest I didn’t read the OP correctly Lol.

I copied the list of 1-10 and just gave my opinion.

Archived