EoS Conference B chat 2018-19

I'm not to sure I've not been for a few years. I know the manager was saying in the local paper that Ian Black was on more than his whole squad[emoji848][emoji5]. Plus they are still wearing the same strips from the previous season[emoji3]  

It's all relative on a season like this I guess, there will be plenty of teams in that scenario where playing budget is concerned. 

Sauchie have individual players on more than other teams they have played this season as well. The game last night a prime example.

A positive by product of a reduced budget for one of the bigger teams had been that Sauchie have been able to blood a number of youngsters this year who will be better for the experience of playing every week.

In terms of the EoS league, we've nothing but good things to say about our move. Going straight in and challenging at the top end of the table was never or plan for this year. New people, new teams, a great setup run very well, what's not to love.

I've not heard any team say anything bad about the move.

It's all relative on a season like this I guess, there will be plenty of teams in that scenario where playing budget is concerned.   

Sauchie have individual players on more than other teams they have played this season as well. The game last night a prime example.

A positive by product of a reduced budget for one of the bigger teams had been that Sauchie have been able to blood a number of youngsters this year who will be better for the experience of playing every week.

In terms of the EoS league, we've nothing but good things to say about our move. Going straight in and challenging at the top end of the table was never or plan for this year. New people, new teams, a great setup run very well, what's not to love.

I've not heard any team say anything bad about the move.

I don't think it'll be all relative if the can't make the top league. It'll not appeal to the fans playing Eyemouth & the likes. That'll mean the budget will be probably even less.  

Notionally, these would be the points totals if Tranent beat Tynecastle... Crossgates + Tranent + Dalkeith lost to Bo'ness... Tranent lost to Dundonald... LTHV + Tranent beat Burntisland:

44pts     Tranent             + 1 game v LTHV
34pts     Crossgates      + 3 games v Haddington (twice) + Dalkeith
34pts     Sauchie              + 2 games v Haddington + LTHV
33pts     LTHV                   + 2 games v Tranent + Sauchie
32pts     Dalkeith             + 1 game v Crossgates
30pts     Haddington      + 3 games v Crossgates (twice) + Sauchie

So it'd take a collapse for Tranent to miss-out, and a streak from Haddington to make it.

Otherwise incredibly tight although Dalkeith may well need something off Bo'ness.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Notionally, these would be the points totals if Tranent beat Tynecastle... Crossgates + Tranent + Dalkeith lost to Bo'ness... Tranent lost to Dundonald... LTHV + Tranent beat Burntisland:

44pts     Tranent             + 1 game v LTHV
34pts     Crossgates      + 3 games v Haddington (twice) + Dalkeith
34pts     Sauchie              + 2 games v Haddington + LTHV
33pts     LTHV                   + 2 games v Tranent + Sauchie
32pts     Dalkeith             + 1 game v Crossgates
30pts     Haddington      + 3 games v Crossgates (twice) + Sauchie

So it'd take a collapse for Tranent to miss-out, and a streak from Haddington to make it.

Otherwise incredibly tight although Dalkeith may well need something off Bo'ness.

You might say that things are looking good for Crossgates, and difficult for Haddington. But that would flip upside down if Haddington beat Crossgates twice. 

1 hour ago, lowenan said:

You might say that things are looking good for Crossgates, and difficult for Haddington. But that would flip upside down if Haddington beat Crossgates twice. 

Could all come down to last match of season between the two sides. Haddington have 2 home matches on the bounce, against Crossgates,  then Sauchie. If the Hihi win the match, it is all to play for!

Certainly Camelon look pretty happy with it

Camelon have predominantly just been making a lot more use of social media platforms this season to get any little thing Camelon/Carmuirs related out there. Seems to be helping though so fair play to them.

I don't think Sauchie would agree with this Screenshot_20190409-222949_Twitter.thumb.jpg.c281be6c551bc7f24a26a0028455e9b9.jpg

That picture could be pretty misleading though. I’ve been to Sauchie plenty times over the years but even with a good crowd hardly anyone sits in the stand.

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Camelon have predominantly just been making a lot more use of social media platforms this season to get any little thing Camelon/Carmuirs related out there. Seems to be helping though so fair play to them.

That picture could be pretty misleading though. I’ve been to Sauchie plenty times over the years but even with a good crowd hardly anyone sits in the stand.

Yeah, there was a crowd in excess of 100 apparently on the night, which feels about right. As I said previously there were more fans around the park than in the stand. Also the person posting hasn't attended in a couple of years, not really sure how the conclusions they are drawing can be drawn on that basis. 

Also the comment 'Eyemouth and the likes' I find particularly frustrating when fans says such things. Its a derogatory remark towards an established club.... Particularly when their own club were operating at the same level in the bottom East south division not so long ago. 

Edited by Guest

Yeah, there was a crowd in excess of 100 apparently on the night, which feels about right. As I said previously there were more fans around the park than in the stand. Also the person posting hasn't attended in a couple of years, not really sure how the conclusions they are drawing can be drawn on that basis.  Also the comment 'Eyemouth and the likes' I find particularly frustrating when fans says such things. Its a derogatory remark towards an established club.... Particularly when their own club were operating at the same level in the bottom East south division not so long ago.  

I'm going by the guy's that still go plus the picture. The likes I'm talking about are obviously the team's that'll be in the bottom division next year. If Sauchie play Lithgae & the likes[emoji6] they will generate more income through playing the more well supported team's regularly.   

I'm going by the guy's that still go plus the picture. The likes I'm talking about are obviously the team's that'll be in the bottom division next year. If Sauchie play Lithgae & the likes[emoji6] they will generate more income through playing the more well supported team's regularly.   

Unlikely Lithgae will be in the premier next year, suspicion of most is they will join Bonnyrigg in the Lowland League, unless Cove go up, filling Selkirk's vacancy.

In any event, basing budget on away support is a volatile model. From season to season that is always going to leave you with large swings in a budget. It's a model plenty of teams follow, so not to say it's wrong, but it's a choice not a requirement so not really something clubs who make that choice can complain about. You fund that way, you have to live with that choice if away crowds are less and adjust appropriately.

Also wouldn't change that the reduced budget still dwarves that of many teams they are competing against. That was my initial point the other day about relativity. I saw Diars in the local paper talking about Ian Black getting more than his whole squad. Fair enough to point it out, but you then also have to accept that there are players in the Sauchie squad individually getting more than other teams whole squad this season as well. As I said, all relative.

The away support element is an interesting topic this year.  Personally, I have enjoyed the season, visiting many grounds for the first time.  However, on a financial footing, I know that Bo'ness have lost out greatly.  Now that is not the fault of other clubs as such but most have brought a negligible travelling support to Bo'ness.  On the other hand, most away games have seen the home side rake in the best takings of the season, both in gate and catering.

Next season will provide a more realistic view on attendances, as former superleague sides lock horns every week, in a truly competitive league.  Will the fans increase or are some lost for ever?  Time will tell.

Conference B

Bonnyrigg Rose v. Bo'ness United
Burntisland Shipyard v. Eyemouth United
Haddington Athletic v. Crossgates Primrose
Tranent v. Lothian Thistle HV

image.png.3ae8a7f8ad8c0da6d10323efb5e4cb13.png

Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness might be the big game in the Conference, but the games of most importance will be Haddington v. Crossgates and Tranent v. LTHV due to the EoS Premier consequences.

This should be Eyemouth's last chance to win a point or 3. After today's game their last opponent will be Conference champions Bonnyrigg Rose.

Conference B

Bonnyrigg Rose 1-3 Bo'ness United
Burntisland Shipyard 5-0 Eyemouth United
Haddington Athletic 1-4 Crossgates Primrose
Tranent 4-2 Lothian Thistle HV

image.png.6e717474db845cba1cf6183f74c88742.png

Today's losses look to rule out LTHV and Haddington from the EoS Premier. But they may still have a chance Sauchie's last 2 games are against both teams and Dalkeith also face a difficult schedule (Bo'ness x2 and @Crossgates). So there's still hope for them.

Bo'ness show their quality by giving Bonnyrigg their first loss in the Conference.

LTHV simply must hope Sauchie don't win at Haddington next Saturday, while they're doing the business at Burntisland. If so it goes down to the last day, and beating Sauchie would see them OK for 6th unless Dalkeith took a strong haul of points off Crossgates and Bo'ness.

Crossgates could put themselves into a even stronger position for 5th if they take something from Bo'ness midweek.

Eyemouth must now win at stuttering Bonnyrigg to avoid historical ignominy.

Edited by HibeeJibee

57 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

LTHV simply must hope Sauchie don't win at Haddington next Saturday, while they're doing the business at Burntisland. If so it goes down to the last day, and beating Sauchie would see them OK for 6th unless Dalkeith took a strong haul of points off Crossgates and Bo'ness.

Crossgates could put themselves into a even stronger position for 5th if they take something from Bo'ness midweek.

Eyemouth must now win at stuttering Bonnyrigg to avoid historical ignominy.

Not sure what to compare it to due to the Conference system this year and other historical differences. Looking over previous seasons these seem to be the 3 "best of the worst".

-1 Eyemouth United 2004/05 EoS First Division (22 game season, actually got 2 draws that season but received a 3 point deduction)

0  Heriot-Watt University 1989/90 EoS First Division (18 game season)

1  Coldstream 1986/87 EoSFL (34 game season)

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

3DA3FBEC-F4EA-45BE-865E-F13AA96E2017.gif

In all seriousness - there has probably never been a better time to play them ;)!

Drew last week, lost today, midweek cup-ties either side and one eye on a Midlothian derby at Penicuik on Easter Monday?

Skoosh...

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

In all seriousness - there has probably never been a better time to play them ;)!

Drew last week, lost today, midweek cup-ties either side and one eye on a Midlothian derby at Penicuik on Easter Monday?

Skoosh...

Don't they have to beat Haddington midweek before they play penicuik